What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passing of our friend Carlos Fernandez

tlpopp

Patron
It is with a very heavy heart that I send this email. Many of you may remember Carlos from when he worked for GRT Avionics. He helped many of us here on VAF set up our panels and was always there to answer our questions.

Carlos has been battling t-cell cutaneous lymphoma for the last two years. He died yesterday of complications related to it. He was at home with his family.

Carlos and I met at a Kalamazoo, MI Chapter EAA 221 meeting back in the late 90's. He lent a hand to many of us in the chapter over the years. He was a friend to anyone he met.

His viewing will be this Friday, November 27th from 1-4 and 5-8 PM at the Langeland Family Funeral Homes, Westside Chapel, 3926 S. 9th St., Kalamazoo, MI

The funeral service will be Saturday at 1:00 PM at the Berean Baptist Church, 7813 S 12th St, Portage, MI 49024.

Carlos and his wife, Marcy, have two wonderful children, Alexander and Leah. Alexander just started college and Leah is a sophomore in high school. Memorial donations may be made for the children's college education. Carlos' favorite charity was www.toeverytribe.org. Memorials may also be directed there.

Rest in peace dear friend.

Tim Popp
RV-7

One of the good guys ...

It is with a very heavy heart that I send this email. Many of you may remember Carlos from when he worked for GRT Avionics. He helped many of us here on VAF set up our panels and was always there to answer our questions.

Carlos has been battling t-cell cutaneous lymphoma for the last two years. He died yesterday of complications related to it. He was at home with his family.

Carlos and I met at a Kalamazoo, MI Chapter EAA 221 meeting back in the late 90's. He lent a hand to many of us in the chapter over the years. He was a friend to anyone he met.

His viewing will be this Friday, November 27th from 1-4 and 5-8 PM at the Langeland Family Funeral Homes, Westside Chapel, 3926 S. 9th St., Kalamazoo, MI

The funeral service will be Saturday at 1:00 PM at the Berean Baptist Church, 7813 S 12th St, Portage, MI 49024.

Carlos and his wife, Marcy, have two wonderful children, Alexander and Leah. Alexander just started college and Leah is a sophomore in high school. Memorial donations may be made for the children's college education. Carlos' favorite charity was www.toeverytribe.org. Memorials may also be directed there.

Rest in peace dear friend.

Tim Popp
RV-7

Rest In Peace Carlos.

One of the good guys has left us.

James

A Huge loss to our Vans community...

I am stunned and saddened to tears to hear this. Carlos was fun, gracious, and always helpful to me throughout the acquisition and installation of my GRT systems. I always looked forward to chatting with him at events like OSH and SunnFun. He will be terribly missed.

Rest in peace, Carlos. We will all miss you. :(

Carlos

OMG that breaks my heart!! I had numerous contacts with Carlos when he was at GRT and he was always GREAT help. I got to meet Carlos at OSH 2012 and he was such a gentleman. My heart goes out to his family.... 8-(

RIP Carlos, your help was the best when I was getting my panel going.

CAVU from now on buddy.

Stunned!

I also had numerous dealings with Carlos, and visited him at GRT a few years ago. Truly a good one who has died young!

God Speed Carlos!

He answered a billion of my questions years ago as I was coming up to speed on this avionics stuff...

Great guy!

His patience was an example... to all. Look at Katie's recent comments about how hard it is to keep customers happy... and provide tech support.
Then remember those who do it, have done it... and have passed.
Good things to keep in the forefront of our thoughts. Be well Carlos

Irish saying..

"May you be in heaven a full half-hour before the devil knows you're gone"

Godspeed Carlos. Thanks for all you did for us.

Last edited:
Absolutely shocked!

Words do not convey how I feel seeing this thread. It is an absolute total shock to hear this. I am greatly saddened to hear this. Carlos was without exception 1st class. I had so many impromptu communications with him during my build I cannot even count them all. Most of those conversations I was frustrated and confused. He was always calm, polite, courteous, and most of all, patient with my every question. We always tried to look him up at OSH and Sun N Fun just to touch base with him and talk.

RIP Carlos. We shall always remember your soul with fondness. Until we meet again!

Shocked and saddened! WOW, I didn't know he was in that bad of condition. Spent some time with him several months ago helping a 10 builder with his panel and he seemed to be doing well. Rest in peace Carlos

Very sorry to hear this.
Carlos was one person I always made a point of finding to say "hi" to at SnF and a big reason I selected a GRT EFIS. Whenever someone asked for a EFIS recommendation, I would drag them to the GRT both and point out Carlos as the guy that would take care of them. One of the best.
RIP

Gosh, I am so saddened and shocked by this news. He was just such great person and easy to work with. RIP, he will be missed

This is sad. Carlos had the patience to deal with me on many occasions. He was always courteous and very helpful. My condolences to his family. He never passed up the opportunity to brag about his kids. Quite a guy.

To a great guy

Carlos, you will be missed. You made a difference in this world and I know you will be doing the same in the next , see you again at the EAA Chapter in Heaven.

Thanks

Peter

so sad

Yes Carlos will be missed! He was a great help when I was installing the GRT WS units in my RV7a 9 years ago, and then when I upgraded my RV10 to GRT HX units, and then when I upgraded the WS units to HX units in our RV7a. RIP Carlos!

Awestruck today

Contacting GRT today about a password issue. I was awestruck to find out about Carlos passing. He was so instrumental in my decision to go with a dual HX and EIS from GRT. He was always extremely helpful in answering all of my stupid questions about installation and operations. Without Carlos I doubt if I would have ever completed the installation. We have lost a truly caring and wonderful person. Clear skys my good friend.

Back