What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak ADI Cracked Case

ericwolf

Well Known Member
Today I was checking for leaks in both my static and pitot system. I found the source of the leaks and I'm not too happy where they are. The case is cracked on both the static and pitot side where the fittings screw into my Trutrak ADI II. I know that I didn't tighten the fittings very hard - only by hand and I didn't crank them on as hard as I could. I always tried to hold the fitting while tightening the nuts as to not put too much stress on the casing. I don't get it.

My inspection is this Wednesday and I was hoping to be ready for first flight within a few days after that. The leak in the pitot side is bad enough that I may bypass the ADI until I get it fixed.

I'm going to call Trutrak to see what they can do. I don't really want to do any hoakie fixes like gluing the cracks shut. Sorry for the bad picture, but you can see some of the cracks.

fuse168.jpg

Known Issue

This is a known issue, it has to do with the casting mold of the threads if I recall and the holes are not tapered.

Get the metal case

You can send it back and get a metal case. On that, the connections are on the bottom, and close together, so you'll have to do some re-plumbing.

As mentioned, this is a known problem that has been remedied. The new units have a metal block that your fittings thread into.

Although you probably want the airplane to be perfect, the ADI is definately not required for the inspection, although your examiner/DAR will most likely want to see you close up the pitot-static system.

New Case

As mentioned, this is a known problem that has been remedied. The new units have a metal block that your fittings thread into.
Actually it's a thick plastic block sticking out of the metal case (just got mine the other day). But it is substantial, no problems screwing in the fittings. The biggest issue is that they are quite close together. You may need different fittings.

Actually it's a thick plastic block sticking out of the metal case (just got mine the other day). But it is substantial, no problems screwing in the fittings. The biggest issue is that they are quite close together. You may need different fittings.

I just sent mine in the other day with a cracked plastic block. It sounds like they found a lot of wrong things with it. Still worked pretty good.

Hans

Ok, I guess the ADI is different from the Digiflight II. The DII has a metal block that looks like it's brass.

My Digiflight IIVSG has been back about 6 times for a whole variety of reasons, but their support is teriffic, and it always works great for a while. As long as they care, and keep making improvements, I am ok. Early on, I cracked my plastic block on the back and returned it for them to install my fittings in a new block and test for leaks. No leaks. On subsequent returns, I always specify not to touch my fittings. Just got it back again a week ago and they replaced everything inside, did not touch my fittings, and no leaks. It works better than ever. Kind of Glad to hear they are now supplying a metal block, which I suggested a year or so ago.

Back