What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taping Cowling / Canopy to Stop Rain Leaks?

mbauer

Well Known Member
I read about someone who used tape to divert rain water from getting into a tilt-up canopy. Searched but could not find the thread.

Anybody use wide tape across the top of the cowling to divert the rain?

Bought some of the 4" wide 3M clear tape for flap protection. Thinking of using it across the top of my cowling / canopy.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Rain

I recently made a trip to Kentucky from South Carolina. I parked for three days and my RV-7 tip up endured heavy rain off and on for a good 24 hours during the time it was parked outside on the ramp.

I intended to use tape to seal the front gap (small but still there) and the rear canopy overlap from water intrusion. I wanted the tape to be removable without leaving residue, so I considered the utility of painter's tape of some kind.

I was visiting family, but decided to check on the plane each day to verify my tie downs, control locks and canopy leaks. I elected not to use a canopy cover since there would be a lot of wind over the course of three days. I've seen cases where a canopy cover has scratched aircraft that were parked outside during storms. A canopy cover can prevent water from getting into the fuselage for a passing afternoon storm without worrying too much.

Because I use wax on my plane the tape didn't stick well on the canopy area. I use Plexus on the clear canopy which prevented the tape from sticking well to the rear canopy. I'm not sure a more robust tape would stick any better.

In the end I got a few drops of water in the fuselage and baggage area, but it dried out quickly when I opened up the canopy and gave it some warm air and sun.

I've seen the avionics cover that goes down under the canopy and I might get one of those eventually if my attempts to seal the front of the canopy are unsucessful. It takes any water that might get in and sheds it off to the sides to prevent contact with anything back there.

Flightline Interiors has such a cover for sale:
https://www.flightlineinteriors.com/accessories

Instrument cooling concerns while under a fabric cover have cropped up on the forums here. I suppose there's benefits and drawbacks for every accessory. I mostly fly on sunny days and park in a hangar. Maybe tape is the best solution for occational rain storms while tied down outside.

I have some weather stipping from McMaster Carr that I intend to try. It has a 3M sticky side. There are so many types of weather stripping available so I may have to try a few different shapes and thicknesses to get it just right so the canopy still closes easily while being sealed. This is the harder part...

Attachments

• avionics cover.jpg
    avionics cover.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 291
Tape

I tape my 6 when it is going to sit out with the possibility of rain. My first trip away from home brought a surprise when I had no engine monitor after heavy rains went through. Luckily a night in a hangar to dry it out fixed that problem. I put electrical tape across the seam at the front and at the rear or my tip up. I then put on my canopy cover then tape the front edge of that. So far I have had no problems and I’ve sat in some pretty hard rains at Oshkosh.
I also tape over my NACA vents on the side as it felt like someone turned on the garden hose when I pushed the throttle in for take off. Quite a surprise!

Most of the time there is very little residue left on the plane but this might be different depending how long the tape is on. The down side is you want to ensure you everything out of the plane before you close it up.

Anybody use wide tape across the top of the cowling to divert the rain

I presume you asking about keeping the rain out when flying.

I have 2” cloth duct tape permanently installed across the top of the middle part of the fwd. canopy/fuselage join extending to just a bit outboard of the hinges on each side. Seems to hold up well after many canopy openings and in the rain (flying). Easy to replace if necessary.

Fin. 9A

EDIT. I have found the cloth duct tape deteriorates after extended flying in the rain. I am now using Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape.

Last edited:
I presume you asking about keeping the rain out when flying.

I have 2” cloth duct tape permanently installed across the top of the middle part of the fwd. canopy/fuselage join extending to just a bit outboard of the hinges on each side. Seems to hold up well after many canopy openings and in the rain (flying). Easy to replace if necessary.

Fin. 9A
Tip-up or slider?

Have any photos? That would help....

Thank you.

Mike

I have put a piece of "P" shaped weatherstripping just in front of the canopy, added a strip of black electrical tape to help hold it in place. Creates just enough of a bump to make any rain go over the canopy gap. Has stayed in place for a couple years now. If you canopy fits better than mine, it might not make any difference....

Tip-up or slider?

Have any photos? That would help....

Thank you.

Mike

9A tip-up.

EDIT. I have found the cloth duct tape deteriorates after extended flying in the rain. I am now using Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape.

Attachments

• 2C500167-01B7-4E77-B79C-CA95B891EE72.jpg
    2C500167-01B7-4E77-B79C-CA95B891EE72.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 456
  • 4827F162-EE81-4CBA-8D4C-2403A863CCA9.jpg
    4827F162-EE81-4CBA-8D4C-2403A863CCA9.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
P shaped weather stripping

I have put a piece of "P" shaped weatherstripping just in front of the canopy, added a strip of black electrical tape to help hold it in place. Creates just enough of a bump to make any rain go over the canopy gap. Has stayed in place for a couple years now. If you canopy fits better than mine, it might not make any difference....

Do you happen to have dimensions of this "P shaped" weather stripping?

I need to try something more sticky and less of a rubber bump. Riding the edge of sealing just barely for ease of canopy closure.

Thanks...now to shop on the McMaster Carr website...

I need to try something more sticky and less of a rubber bump. Riding the edge of sealing just barely for ease of canopy closure.

I used this. Cleaned off the adhesive and glued it down with contact cement for a more secure bond. It extends a couple of inches behind the tape on each side. You can see it in the second photo Post #7. It sits up very proud but I apply Herschell Silicone Paste grease (clear) to the seal and the underside of the fwd. canopy skin every few months and the canopy skin slides easily over the seal.

Fin. 9A
EDIT. I have found the contact cement inadequate to glue the rubber strip long term. I now have the strip glued with tank sealant after throughly cleaning the seal support flange to bare metal. I did a test on scrap aluminium and pushing/pulling the seal ripped it apart with the glued base staying in place.

Last edited:
Trying some seals

I'm going to try some new seals from McMaster Carr. There's so many different shapes and kinds, I think the one that clamps on and folds over will do well in the front of the tip up.

Other bulb seals I've tried that are small in the front of the canopy I've tried in the past get pealed up when the canopy closed, due to the sliding action forward.

This clamped on, flap like rubber shape might be the answer...I'm going to try it.

Second, for the back of the canopy, I found a single sided adhesive thin foam rubber sealant. I'm hoping it will be thin enough not to put much pressure on the plexiglass canopy as I close it.

Attachments

• edge stabilized wiper wx strip.png
    edge stabilized wiper wx strip.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 222
I'm going to try some new seals from McMaster Carr. There's so many different shapes and kinds, I think the one that clamps on and folds over will do well in the front of the tip up.

Other bulb seals I've tried that are small in the front of the canopy I've tried in the past get pealed up when the canopy closed, due to the sliding action forward.

This clamped on, flap like rubber shape might be the answer...I'm going to try it.

Second, for the back of the canopy, I found a single sided adhesive thin foam rubber sealant. I'm hoping it will be thin enough not to put much pressure on the plexiglass canopy as I close it.

Al,
Did this seal work for you? Kept the rain water out?

Water issue

I found the seal to be a little too thick on the top front of the canopy when I closed it. Still working on a final solution as I redo my panel.

The best luck I've had is just putting on a canopy cover and tying it down snuggly while my -7 is outside. I don't park overnight outside that often though, so for me it works.

I'm interested to see if someone finds a softer gap seal that will flex more and seal out the water for those overnights in the Spring or Fall when its not too warm out, or when I fly through a little rain and I want to be sure everything is staying dry.

I have not found (10 yrs looking) a suitable seal for the front of the tip up. The entire canopy is designed around the teflon tear-drop design and no step-up sizes have been found.

I had to rework my sub panel and seal the forward skin with pro seal to get the tear drop to fit and work. A bridge has to be made for the hinges.

In my book it is the Vans design with all the gaps pro-sealed - or start the whole canopy design over. Sorry for the bad news, but keep looking.

I've wondered if any builders have ever modified the canopy sills to be something like in the Bristell aircraft.

Back