What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus Appareo ESG ADSB-Out to Garmin GDL in

Acenels

Does anyone know (or better yet, has tried) if you can connect the Appareo ESG ADSB out to to the ADSB antenna in on a Garmin GDL 50 series (portable)?

I am adding some Garmin components but keeping the stratus transponder, and wondering if I can easily add ADSB-in to the Garmin ecosystem without drilling a new hole if I use the Appareo's ADSB port. Same connector...just not sure if it is a common language that it spits out of if each manufacturer uses some proprietary processing ahead of that output signal.

I saw some other posts that hinted it would work with no issue, but didn't see a definite answer.

My though is I would essentially replace the Stratus 3i with a GDL-50 and be in business to push the adsb information to the G3x (either bluetooth or wired).

Any help is appreciated!

Your question is a little confusing, but I think you are asking if the exterior mounted antenna you are using on your stratus 3i will work with a GDL 50, the answer is yes.

You should have two antennas, one is your transponder, which handles adsb out and the other is for adsb in reception.

To be more specific, the appareo esg has an ADSB-out port. This terminates in the Stratus 3i via BNC connector. What I would like to do is replace the stratus 3i (for adsb in) with a gdl50 using the same ADSB out from the appareo transponder.

So the exterior mounted antenna is routed to the Transponder, not directly to the Stratus 3i. If the transponder acts as a pass through I *think* I’m good. But if it is translating the input in some way, it might not communicate with the Garmin unit—or at least that’s my question.

Your question is a little confusing, but I think you are asking if the exterior mounted antenna you are using on your stratus 3i will work with a GDL 50, the answer is yes.

You should have two antennas, one is your transponder, which handles adsb out and the other is for adsb in reception.

In current setup I have one antenna as it is a ADSB/transponder combination solution. I’d prefer not to add a second antenna unless needed.

I have an ESG in my plane and I am soon to be hooking up a GDL50R. As I understand it from talking with Appareo the pass-through connector just allows the antenna to pass through when the transponder is not transmitting so ADS-B can share the same antenna. There is no modification of the signal at all.

I have an ESG in my plane and I am soon to be hooking up a GDL50R. As I understand it from talking with Appareo the pass-through connector just allows the antenna to pass through when the transponder is not transmitting so ADS-B can share the same antenna. There is no modification of the signal at all.

Much appreciated!

Back