What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron/Flap alignment

Maxrate

Well Known Member
After attaching the flap and getting the 1/4" gap between the flap and aileron the upper skins are not flush lengthwise. Is this normal? I thought it would be best to put the drill down and see if this is normal. I have included pics of upper and lower wing panels. The bottom side is almost seamless. :confused:

r20ub7.jpg

10modgl.jpg

a25e13.jpg

16c5mvt.jpg

Last edited:
Flap alignment

Mark
Mine are similar. I can't tell how much from your photo but very similar. When the trailing edge bend radius is perfectly aligned, the top of the aileron skin is slightly above the flap skin. Bottom of both aileron and flap seems aligned. It never occurred to me to ask because I couldn't see how it could be changed. Everything is prepunched.
It took me forever to get the first one done and no time at all to drill the second. I used the fat rivet method. Worked great. I also went with two pins meeting in the middle with a two pieces of hinge locking the pins.

Same here. I was worried first but didn't see a solution to it. So I followed the "Don't worry too much"-principle and just moved on.

Larry, how exactly did you lock the two pins? I opted for one pin only, but it's really hard to get the pin out and insert it again, so I'm thinking about changing it and using the two pins.

Big pictures.......

from VAF instructions.......

And A Shortcut Tip...
I increased the number of images you can have in a post to (10). If you use one of the thousands of free places on the web to host images, you can quickly insert images into a post by surrounding the URL they give you with
. In most of these sites, you upload the image and look for the 'Direct Link To Image' URL. TIP: Make the image 800 pixels wide or less for best viewing in the forums - it preserves the proper word wrapping.
For example, inserting the text below into a post will result in this. I got it all squared away using Notepad before copy/pasting it into the post.

27.jpg

HooverDam.jpg

IMG_0894.JPG

Flap pins

Same here. I was worried first but didn't see a solution to it. So I followed the "Don't worry too much"-principle and just moved on.

Larry, how exactly did you lock the two pins? I opted for one pin only, but it's really hard to get the pin out and insert it again, so I'm thinking about changing it and using the two pins.

I actually got the idea on VAF but can't remember who posted it. Two pieces of hinge riveted together with a screw into a nut plate. It's the last photo on the "Wings" page of my blog.
330bb12.jpg

Last edited:
The ailerons are actually slightly oversize in thickness from what the nominal airfoil shape would be. This helps maintain flow attachment.

Back