What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

usb power to panel

prkaye

Well Known Member
anybody know a way to rig up a powered usb port to your panel, strictly for providing USB power to devices that take it? Need to somehow convert convert the voltage from the 12V aircraft power bus to the appropriate voltage for USB, and then feed this in to the appropriate pins on a a female USB port.
Most of the car USB-cigarette lighter adapters I have seen have the circuitry inside the moulded plastic, so it wouldn't be straight-forward to hack one of these for this purpose.

Why not cig adapter with small USB plug

Why not cig adapter with small USB plug. I use a duel USB plug.

The cigarette plug is big and clunky and an eyesore, and an opportunity to catch pant legs on while exiting the aircraft. I love that little panel-mounted usb port, that's exactly what i was looking for.
Also available at many Electronic sales web
I haven't been able to find anything else like that through a bit of googling. They want too much money for what it is, so i'd like to find a cheaper supplier. Do you have any other links?

EDIT - my mistake. All the cigarette lighter usb adapters I have seen in the past are big things that stick way out. I just found out they make cheap cigarette lighter usbb adapters that fit nearly flush with the cigarette lighter face... perfect! http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...360&path=d8713b3955a16854d9713f3057416f9aen02

Last edited:
Check out the Scosche line of USB chargers (idea from Tim Olson). They fit into your DC power source sockets.

2121.14801.600x400.USBC2M_1.jpg

Low profile, nothing to catch on. Different models with different amperage available.This one, designed for the iPad, is $18.

It would be fairly easy to wire up one of these, couple layers of shrink tube to insulate it, and slide it into a dedicated panel hole. That is if you want a permanent USB outlet.

The cigarette lighter outlet, and adapter gives more flexibility IMHO.

One of the guys who make the above panel mount outlet is a neighbor, I will check to see if they can up the output.

USB550.JPG

Last edited:
This morning I went to futureshop and got a Kensingon unit basically identical to that Scosche one that aturner showed. Its face will sit flush with the front of the cig lighter and it will put out 2.1 amps. Perfect solution, so I bought two - one for the plane and one for the car.

Back