What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baja Design landing Lights/RV14

Jskyking

Well Known Member
I?m to the point of ordering landing lights and with the different BD choices, is there a preferred light set up? I?m looking at the driving/ combo since it combines the Spot specs 9 deg with the Driving 42deg. Being a taildragger, I figured the 42deg would be the way to go.

Are there any required mounting bracket mods required for the -14?

Is purchasing direct from BD the way to go?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks
Jt

I have a spare Baja Squadron Pro light for sale. Take a peek at my post on classifieds or send me a message. I believe it?s the spot lens, which is what you want in an Rv.

I used the driving combo Squadron Pro lights for my RV 14A. I chose them because I will not be putting in a separate taxi light and felt that the wider beam of the driving light would work well for taxiing. I fabricated a bracket and they installed without difficulty. The plane is still a work in progress so I can't give you any real-world feedback yet. I have these exact lights on my BMW R1200GS and I can tell you that they are BRIGHT!

F66K74-m8HgoRH1b5yhrpkMX7E97mpr6mGWCJuMwBIK3blhyEy_Kol3S0GIb8RDjJ9CJ0UHunRHV-_zul4K9xdR1b-uTgGj8DaEEQuvf2329NTreZIIlg8yU4Ms_Gul9So5ph4luSeM1AeBRGBZydqhS9doiWs8IzwmRgT1MAImUd0TsofD4Uspc8JPNw03YKj_omQ1DjPlnU7c6vCxQYAqa3r2NH9eAZF1CrQTBOcwj0edZ86yKcLONWdreWtUN2ZPmaTqnLvdQsFHFjqFE3niZcczKxVdEmr5Nk5CwCiJ7UrySTPSH3euhuZDXgk_UfqwTKcweTueZC2b96zF7jhrwUxFxC1cEcP_KDbnU5JceYMo9bDvuGxcndOeltUX-a56B46pF447YTKAcrreh4-vMd3P5BluL2ZZ5Yt4xBRaOxSMUE0TVUE756B0xnkwIcVBfyXMoP_ucA0euFA39xPeQkdcqINxL7v9qkm0_CJw4mOCKHZfqJDjkoPtZ9-FXovm-eppZ2NmHAtuOd4ySTeqCIpU8la-Og33OFp0awyrYCSIzbZ7lYuwa6rLuqz0D2GL2ZERzka74L3VFAfsqNSxa5h-aFbxgFC1oxY-zQmhkHAN9WEt0l3WQsvlcmDlRJ_VYABdMgcDsnnHZ2qFL6_aBzIkT7HZNumvAj5lblou-AZIeh3ubnXijuLJ_kA=w800-h1931-no

t6JmRStgED-9_nvGLscNDLcfmZUufSi4qoXz5HaCvNWv77xZdL3RbmT3kT8oAQv3iKTu1-czjZkAbAF9V9WSrV833zeVHHI0vb-S6E296AAe0PAzsFhc69LTCUi2OssymqM0Ru6r7nwlP0bi815e_4az0nagXZ3g7qt_M7GASLYB-bFJ24ix7_snpGAHemEZFYIVcavv5O_YrnzjhWJ71fZ_KgX1Sd6SqbWN74C7pqms9zW5hJvm3sk-g2bCtzF7eDZsQDquF1Kd-dJrGl7phraKwToYwJI2N976aE7pwZuaMz2QpyOFFd8hCXZzBC8Zp_s2ftUVLI0X9p33R1PwySh_akD5zxC9vrBmD6f37JXEAGwKXL6b5Hq86XY7mBQ75EIzHGkgaDLBA5CuUORHrvQyzLNVOIXa3YgThefJoQue9HHLVIafxIgCaFlaf9NSy0HkbWmVeuzeb9XeVJIYOCoooKC4fERwjL4u3KWRfn-UwVKFPqralNHrAE6vGhHaaWeRS-yA6Nh-uEV57phS3Zq19zcOTWQvpiHPTRX3FzLQVFasgYKFHWu2fgcIisIB70SLpoKkHaOlZl4aW6TIY6z2DnEDmaulgymG5ijVfiiOrT29MeRrFisJetgkhazqutGqwh5Wed2nC8Ol-wVS8J9Rd_JT0lAnUuxmSKKng-c5ERSjeNfukiU-Kmpv6A=w800-h1931-no

FWIW I used two of the smaller S2Pro lights (Spot beam) and they are great. Here is a photo taken with the airplane inside my hangar of how bright they are.

70fe.jpg

A very important thing is to align the lights correctly. Properly aligned smaller lights will out perform improperly aligned larger lights.

:cool:

Last edited:
I installed the Squadron-R Pro's in my -8A. I misordered the "Work/Scene" light and the beam patterns was all flood and not right for what I needed. I called them and they just sold me some different diffusers. You can get all the parts; seals, screws and diffusers to make them how you want them. Now I have spots in the top and inboard bottom and floods in the outboard bottom. Works great and they are bright...and the wig-wag just fine...

IMG_20190325_094249.jpg

IMG_20190325_094257.jpg

IMG_20190325_094314.jpg

Thanks for all of the insight. After much reading and head scratching, I’m leaning towards the Flush Mount BD Squadron PRo Combo on the left and the BD flush mount Spot on the right.
Since I’m mixing and matching, BD direct buy is the best alternative plus they provide the flush adapter bracket to assist in mounting to the RV bracket...If I wasn’t mixing and matching, then Amazon would be the least expensive route.

Squadron Pro lamps look like a great choice, these were not available when I did up my last project. Back then I used a Baja 4 lamp light bar design, basically same lighting but wider so I had to fabricate custom mounting & wider lens & opening.
One thing I found is the spot light (15 degree light pattern) was great for lighting up the runway from 1/2 mile out, but not so good for taxiing and being able to see corners and turning. Was always a guessing game where that taxi way turn was as the beam focal point was way ahead of you and nothing but a black hole beside you. I changed out to the driving (wider angle) lamp option for this reason, also better to see those 4 legged creatures on the side of the runway, and still be happy for how it lit up the runway (1/4 mile). Also helped that the lamps were less than half the cost back then.

Squadron Pros

I went with BD Squadron Pro "spots" for both my taxi and landing lights. These are in the wing cutouts in my 9, formerly containing duckworks. It looks to me like I couldn't get much use out of wider beams, since the wing opening already cuts off the spots a bit.

I would think the "driving combo" would be ideal for wingtip mounts.

Really, really happy with the Squadron Pros. Super bright, no noise, easy install, quality hardware. Now I just need to figure out how to replace my old wig-wag circuit (which doesn't work with LEDs) without too much spelunking behind the panel. I'm getting WAY too old for panel spelunking.

Now I just need to figure out how to replace my old wig-wag circuit (which doesn't work with LEDs) without too much spelunking behind the panel. I'm getting WAY too old for panel spelunking.
Not a "Wig-Wag" but this simple circuit flashes my Baja S2Pro lights quite nicely. I first used them with halogen lights so the Squadron Pro should not be a problem.

9521.jpg

With this set up the landing/Taxi mode overrides the Recognition (flashing) mode.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back