What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A cracked canopy

cyrilmclavin

Last year a crack developed in the 8a i co built we drill stopped it but sunday it went bang during flight and the crack continued from becide my right ear to just over my head. I was closer to my destination KBAF than to home base KHWV so i slowed to 100 mph 13in mp and landed. I had lunch with my friends and found clear packing tape from a friendly fbo and put sevral layers of clear tape inside and out then flew to home base no further cracking ordering replacement from todds should be fun matching cut to original windsheild section. will update as repair progresses.

cyril

This may be a real dumb question, but have you looked into the glass repair system? Can they fix cracks in plastic too? It's a long shot, but it might be worth a phone call.

cracked canopy rv8a

The canopy was riveted we did not oversize the holes in the plexi before riveting it first cracked in to 40 below cold last winter the plexi contracted more than the rivet. Crack is too extensive for repair.

cyril

Replacing the Canopy

Been there, and done that. If you used a Todd's canopy for the cracked one, then use a Todd's canopy again. If your first canopy was a Van's kit canopy, then I believe that you must use a Van's canopy for the replacement.

I carefully drilled the old canopy off the Doll without damaging the skirt. I laid the cracked canopy inside the replacement canopy and moved it around until it was a perfect fit. I traced it on the new canopy and cut it out. It aligned with the original windshield perfectly. I used a debur tool to cut the sharp edge off every drilled hole in the glass. I sanded the area on the canopy and the canopy frame where the glass would touch the frame. After the canopy was riveted on, I taped off the glass and frame, and I filled the gap between the frame's tube and glass with Sikaflex.

I'm just finishing the initialization of a Todd's canopy on a friends RV-8, and the Todd's canopy is NOT the same shape. It is a beautiful canopy, but I would not try to replace the original canopy with a Todd's canopy as the overall shape is different enough as to make the fit of the skirt, and alignment with the windshield, very difficult if not impossible.

replacement

I was in a 8a two years ago and the canopy split same spot from bottom to center sounded like a shotgun. my project was not in the canopy stage so i gave my canopy to my buddy and we ordered one from todds for me . Great canopy with a differant slope front and back of center go with a vans for replacment otherwise you may have a tuff time making the match
Kirk

Is there...

a way to visually tell the difference between a Todd's canopy and a Van's canopy? I didn't build my 8 so I'm not sure which canopy I'm grinning under.

a way to visually tell the difference between a Todd's canopy and a Van's canopy? I didn't build my 8 so I'm not sure which canopy I'm grinning under.

I think Todd's has a little different shape in the front and back of the canopy, but someone may correct me.

Repairing the crack.

I have an 8. I now have two cracks in the aft part of my canopy just behind where the passenger shoulders would be. One of the left side one on the right side exactly same spot but on opposite sides. One of the left is 7 inches long one and the rate is 5 inches long. Has anybody tried to repair the cracks by doubling up another piece of acrylic on the inside? My canopy is made by airplane plastics the supplier to Vans.

I have an 8. I now have two cracks in the aft part of my canopy just behind where the passenger shoulders would be. One of the left side one on the right side exactly same spot but on opposite sides. One of the left is 7 inches long one and the rate is 5 inches long. Has anybody tried to repair the cracks by doubling up another piece of acrylic on the inside? My canopy is made by airplane plastics the supplier to Vans.

Scott Chastain has a thread here somewhere about repairing is -8 canopy.

Back