What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air scoop on lower vertical stabilizer fairing

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
Somebody a while back was adding a air duct on the front of the lower VS fairing and I was wondering if anyone remembered who it was and how well it worked?

Somebody a while back was adding a air duct on the front of the lower VS fairing and I was wondering if anyone remembered who it was and how well it worked?

The gentleman that was making those passed away a little over a year ago. Redmond Air was making Tony's panels and overheads, but I don't know about the scoop. Several of Tony's former employees now work at Redmond.

The comments that I have heard were that the scoop wasn't all that effective. Putting a pair of NACA scoops on the side of the fuselage appears to yield better results from the people that I've spoken with.

You can search for Accuracy Avionics or Tony Sustare for pireps.

bob

Last edited:
Like this one? It looked fairly trivial to make.. but I forgot to ask how well it worked..

P1000962.JPG

Dont think so---

No, I seem to remember Tony's setup to be a single round scoop at the base of the vert fin, centerline.

The round one was the one I remember, I was worried about how much water it would pick-up. I never saw the one with two scoops, looks nice but I wonder if it would have water issues also considering it also faces directly forward.

This is a relatively similar setup to what Bonanzas have... Bo's have a drain tube from the SCAT tubing (in the tail cone) straight down to drain any water that may get in... so the water issue is nothing new and the issue has a solution.. Having said that, it is a lot more complex setup than a simple NACA vent :)

Thanks for the comments, just curious on other options before I start cutting holes in a perfectly good fuselage :D

Aerosport

I have Aerosport's overhead console with the side vents in the fuselage. They work beautifully and the overhead fits very close with minimal finishing.

Back