What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Oil Cooler Selection for RV8 w/ Angle Valve IO-360

lukejb

I am needing to change out oil cooler on my RV8 and trying to see what the best option is. I am in Texas so optimum cooling is important. I was running a PosiTech 4215 mounted to baffling behind #4 before it broke a flange. Searched through the VAF archives on this first but most of the threads I found were pre 2010 and many of these coolers like PosiTech and Harrison are no longer around.

I was looking at the Aero Classics HE Series Part #8001599 (8 row 6" long core) this is an $875 unit. From my understanding this is a former Stewart Warner unit that is now Aero Classics.

There was also an Aero Classics Remote Mount 9 Row Part #8000074 for around $390.

Both of these look very similar. From all I can tell the HE series is a "Bar & Plate" design and the Remote Mount is a "Drawn Cup". Not exactly sure of the difference and if one is much more superior to the other.

Does anyone have any experience in using either of these in a hot climate and have any recommendations for io-360 angle valve?

Just bought mine from Pacific Oil Coolers. #8001599, For a parallel valve. Give them a call. Wayne explained everything in detail. He’ll get you set up. The HE line are most like the original Stewart Warner. Higher quality, better fin material.

Wayne knows oil coolers. Bought mine from him (Pacific Oil Cooler) years ago. 9 row, 8001689. Firewall mounted using the RV10 mount. Rare to see my oil temp exceed 190. And only if extended climb midsummer.

Just for ref this is the one I use for HC 370 with piston squirters, works great but mounted on the firewall now.
Aero Classis HE
10611R 8001649 11 ROW 6" LONG CORE, 08-07432
$875.00

Last edited:
Airflow X Series 2006X

Best cooler I've found yet.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/xseriesOilCooler.php

PN: 08-06154

This is essentially the same cooler that Vans sells for the RV-10 and the angle-valve engines. I made a firewall mount similar to the RV-10 mount but with the angle adjusted to align with the engine mount tubes.

Be sure to supply it with plenty of air. 4" Scat tubing, and a good diffuser transition from the 4" duct to the cooler box.

I did an IO-540 cooler on firewall...emphasis firewall...it's too big for mounting on the back side of the cylinder. That said put a 30 degree down extension on exit ramp from cowling. That exit ramp/cowl flap did the trick. And My bird flies at high density altitude. Good luck.

My advice.... stay with a Stewart Warner clone available from Pacific Oil Cooler, you will write one check, and never worry again about Oil temps! The SW is about 30% more efficient than most of the "others".

DAR Gary

How do u drain it ??

This is how I drain the extra quart of dirty oil from mine :

Attachments

• F2953E3F-BC79-4B84-82C4-2259E1606D6B.jpg
    F2953E3F-BC79-4B84-82C4-2259E1606D6B.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for all of the feedback on this. I took the advice of speaking with Wayne at Pacific. He is very knowledgeable on oil coolers. After discussion with him it sounds like either the remote mount or the HE will work well and both options should be a big improvement from the old PosiTech I was running.

Back