What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

whats the best under the wing avaition mechanical creeper

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
I know there's been discussion about articulating "creepers" for under the wing or fuselage maintenance here on VAF. but my search on the internet for Creeper turned up a completely different subject matter. Maybe they are called something entirely different these days. Never the less i would be interested in what you have found best to elevate one up to and support your back in that rather odd position. I remember seeing some that looked like a mini super reclining chair that might be what Im looking for. Battery or other powered also acceptable.

Anyone got one they really like?

I have the Toren Big Red creeper, very happy with it.

Edit: I didn't know about the Aerocreeper ... ordered! That looks awesome :)

Last edited:
I know there's been discussion about articulating "creepers" for under the wing or fuselage maintenance here on VAF. but my search on the internet for Creeper turned up a completely different subject matter. Maybe they are called something entirely different these days. Never the less i would be interested in what you have found best to elevate one up to and support your back in that rather odd position. I remember seeing some that looked like a mini super reclining chair that might be what Im looking for. Battery or other powered also acceptable.

Anyone got one they really like?

I've used the Aerocreeper before. It's pretty darn pricey, but I'll say it's by far the most comfortable thing I've used. A couple of friends purchased them for their Bonanzas. It's held up well for both of them for about a year now, with one being used pretty extensively.
https://aerocreeper.com/

I bet you I could take my old crappy worn out Harbor Freight creeper as a base and weld myself a couple adjustable cross-bars on the bottom of that to add adjustable height for about half the price of that Aerocreeper.

There's a bunch of them out there, but that one together sounds pretty good to me.

I like the way you think! When the back comes up the seat should come up proportionally or can not reach high enough. Need foam bumpers gonna hit everything. Pants, ailerons etc. Please post your final geometry if you do this.

There is another one (somewhere on the internet) with a hydraulic pump to raise the unit - -my paint shop had a couple and did not recommend them as the pump unit was junk. The geometry was nice.

Where are the electric airplane guys - a nice LiFePO battery and linear actuator and pile of $$$ and time . . . . . . sorry out of scope, been happening to me lately. Cabin fever.

Last edited:
I have the aerocreeper and it's very nice. It's currently in the workshop for the RV-10 build but will go to the hangar for the next -9 service interval.

Pricey but worth it.

Aerocreeper for me, makes cleaning under wings a breeze. Got mine at Sun N Fun, 2019, with free shipping.

I took Lee Majors advice and built a "one of a kind". About $50 square tubing and some castors from Tractor Supply. The Hydraulics were from a Freight Harbor cheap floor jack. If you have to add labor then at $15/hour you better add about another $1000.00 .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HypVr269c91jJLwNA

Last edited:
I recently bought the Whiteside reclining creeper, its different brands shown above in the previous posts- best price $145 and free shipping was at Zoro. Very comfortable...much better than the Harbor Freight I've been using. I'd love to have the AeroCreeper but that's just too much money for me to justify.

Z-B0rzfo5oz.JPG

https://www.zoro.com/whiteside-creeper-adjustable-44-in-padded-2up/i/G3275377/

The one I'd really like to have is the Human Hoist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVVcIj879Y

Aerocreper

I've had an Aerocreeper for about three years now. STILL keep banging the back of my heels into the casters. Knowing what I know now, I probably would not buy it again.

I have an Aerocreeper. At time of order I upgraded the casters to 3" hard surface versions. That was a mistake because they work "too good" and the silly thing won't stay still and glides across the hangar floor like an air hockey puck. Turn a wrench or push on something with my hand and it sends me sailing in circles. Tends to have a mind of it's own. For some reason is attracted to wheel pants or other items when goes for an uncommanded effortless glide. In retrospect I would go with stock casters. It would also be nice if there were more notches in the elevation settings as it always seems it is at a height either too high or too low for what I am up to. In summary I thought it would change my life, keep me from having sand kicked in my face on the beach and attract chicks. In reality it is nice but at about a 55% of original expectations.

Aerocreeper

Go with the Aerocreeper. The others look similar but function different. Aerocreeper raises the seat to diff heights. Also upgrade to the 4 inch wheels. It makes a difference.

You will use this all over the plane. You will be glad you did. Love mine. My buddy that got the smaller wheels said he wished he upgraded the wheels after he tried mine.

Really like it

Been wheeling around on my new Aerocreeper and I really like it. Love that I can raise the seat height, headrest is outstandng under the wing and it makes wheeling over to the fridge for a cold brewski effortless when I’m through working and want to admire my 8.

Back