What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

experiences with Bose 16 Quietcomfort headset

aussieflyer1

Well Known Member
Any one had any experience with the Quietcomfort 15 headset with the UFlyMike. I know they work well in the jet industry but wanting to know if they would work well with our RV GA as far a noise cancellation with the engine so close. I know the Bose A20 are one of the best but for half the price if the Quiet comforts 15 work as well.
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a set of Bose QC 15. They are great for noise reduction around the house or at work but no where near as much noise reduction as my Zulu aviation headsets. IMHO, there is no where near enough noise reduction with the QC 15 for use in an RV with the standard straight no muffler Vetterman exhaust.

Lightly used Bose X can be had for about same as the 15+uflymike setup (even maybe for a few bucks less).. and the X has far, far superior performance and comfort combined..

I have the QC15 with the U-fly Mike and they are the most comfortable set I have worn. Must be the lightest too. I don't have any noise problems in the cockpit of an RV.

The only issue with the U-Fly Mike is that they require a AAA battery to function so you must always carry a spare.

QC 15

Thanks Morpheus
How do you find them compared to Bose A20 or X headset, I'm concerned that they won't cancel all the noise of the engine etc being so close to it compared to a jet for example.

I have the QC15 with the U-fly Mike and they are the most comfortable set I have worn. Must be the lightest too. I don't have any noise problems in the cockpit of an RV.

The only issue with the U-Fly Mike is that they require a AAA battery to function so you must always carry a spare.

+1

Great combination. I always carry an extra 2 AAA's. 1 for when I forget to replace the replacement :rolleyes:

Battery light starts blinking and I've flown another 7-8 hours before switching batteries.

I have both

I have the Ufly/QC15 setup, which i wear at work driving aluminum skinned passenger haulers. It works great, but I find in my O-360, FP Sens prop with vetterman that when the battery gets weak, i.e. the green light is flashing, the noise canceling will kick off when i say go over a runway light, or have some other loud different noise excursion. I can still hear but you can tell the noise canceling is struggling. so i put in a new battery and good to go again.

I also have a bose X, the wife usually wears it but I have used it a few times as well.

the QC15 is much lighter and to me far more comfortable over longer time periods. however, I have a bit of trouble getting the mic close enough to my mouth and stay there all the time, i have to help it periodically. The bose x is a better performer, never cuts out, and the mic length is more favorable.
the QC setup has an advantage in that you can use the headphones for other things, like riding in the back of said passenger hauling device. Customer service from uflyMike is outstanding.

I only bought the bose x because the wife needed a headset and i got a good deal on a used one. after the way bose treated the uflymike people, i wouldn't give them my business ever again...

my 2 cents worth...

Stump

+1 on the QC 15

Have the QC 15 with the ufly mike setup for the passenger side in my -7 and they work great. Main reason for them is my wife thought the major headsets were big and uncomfortable clamping force (tried Bose X and Zulu). She found the QC 15 to be light, comfortable and has never complained about the ANR not being effective. Other passengers made similar comments so I ended up leaving them in the plane and now have to get another set for my business travelling:D

Love my QC15

I used the QC 2 uflymike setup for several years flying bizjets and my old Bonanza. Upgraded to the QC15 with uflymike a couple of years ago for the RV-10. I love the headset and my wife uses the old QC 2 and is very happy with it. However, I cannot compare with the other Bose or Lightspeed since I have never used them.

QC 15

Thanks guys, I will give them a go and see what I think of them .. Looks like they work fine in the RV world as I don't fly Bizjets. I'll be happy in the RV6A with the QC 15's and thanks for all the input.
Fly Safe

Back