What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Dogfight Video

Dave Dollarhide

I used a bullet camera and mpeg-4 recorder from helmetcamera.com to take shots from the side of my headset. I like the potential for unique shots with the bullet camera, but the quality of video from their recorder is poor. ....thinking about a Canon Elura 100 for use in the cockpit instead.

Most of the other shots were taken from a mount I've built on the side of my RV-4 roll bar, using a small Canon Power Shot SD630. It takes great stills and pretty good movies.

I've wanted to create a dogfight/tailchase video for a while and last night got the bug to produce it with the clips I already have. This is an ongoing effort, but for now, I hope you enjoy the RV flying shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvKeL0Fgu0A

Glasair

Thanks for the nice comments. By the way, I really didn't lose the fight with the Glasair, but the story line fit with the clips on hand...had turned the camera off in the middle of the fight for some reason. He's a friend and bends a great airplane and his machine is a 300hp Glasir II....goes really fast, but with that speedy wing, can't turn with us RV guys....which is why he's now building an RV-4. :)

Too Much Fun

Dave, you and Pat are having way too much fun for a couple of retired Navy jet jocks. I saw you on TV last year in a documentary about the USS Forrestal and have enjoyed several of your other posts. Like I said, you guys are just having waaay too much fun. :D Hope I get to bump into you guys again. I had fun that afternoon at Johnson Creek.

Fun

I really enjoyed watching the video.......Good Job!
I was smiling the whole time I was watching.
Thanks for sharing.
The guns were a nice addition.;)
and the Smoke was perfect timing too.
details, details.......

That was cool. Nice flying! Great video & sounds. I love the smoke!

When can we expect a sequel?

Larry, Yes! I plan for a sequel, after I get a better recorder for the bullet camera....want more close encounter "hassle" shots also, just have to be cautious about the aggressive flying (does that make sense?).

You may enjoy my other video from Navy days in the '60s. Since video wasn't around, it was a Kodak Instamatic camera on my helmet...not too smart if I ejected, but that was the deal. ...also mounted it next to the gunsight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2FC6Bhq2E

Roger, Pat and I plan to fly to Johnson Creek around the last few days of June. ...couldn't make it last summer due to the mountain fires...flew up to Cavanaugh Bay.

Johnson Creek

Dave....Yep last summer was a blow out at JC. After the fourth of July it was all over. This winter they got more snow than the last two winters combined. Still not a lot but hopefully enough to keep the fires down this year.
I'm planning on leaving PHX for Ill June 28. If I can talk the wife into it we will take the Northern route and see you at JC!

All the best,

Great Video and Great flying

Dave,

Really enjoyed your videos; the Navy video was very interesting. Your head set cam is a great idea. Great videos and great flying, thanks for sharing.

Back