What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How about this Air Compressor????

Kobwo

Hello,

I was wondering if this air compressor will get the job done ok? It's a Kobalt, brand new in the box for 1/2 price. I don't have 220 in the garage so looking for a 110v that will work.

Cheers

Kobwo

846212001646lg.jpg

30-Gallon Cast Iron Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
Cast iron, V-twin cylinder, oil lubricated pump features: one-piece cast iron crankcase, thermally stable cast iron cylinder body, aluminum head and machined cast iron valve plate, automotive style ball bearings, and durable stainless steel reed valve. Heavy duty induction motor for maximum performance and efficiency Fully assembled 30 gallon ASME tank with pre-attached pneumatic wheels, quick-set regulator, tank and working pressure gauges, quick connect air outlet and on/off switch for ease of use
155 PSI max pressure, 6.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 5.3 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 1.6 running HP

That is very similar to the one I built my plane with.

It might be a bit challenged with it comes time to paint but otherwise, it is a good size.

wouldnt use it for painting.. or running airtools like a sander (DA, palmsander)
It wont keep up with the volumn of air.. and it will have LOTS of water coming trough your lines.. Best bet is a 60 gallon.. Home Cheapo has them for 400 bucks.. 220 volt tho.. HOW EVER i suppose you could slave 2 of those together or perhaps get a large tank that it could as well as the little one it comes with.

I've been using that exact model for the past few months. I've been happy with it. You can't drill that many holes (maybe 5 or 6) before it kicks in to refill, but I think it's ok for building. I'm not using it for painting so I can't comment on that.

I have the same AC and love it! Wouldn't use it for paint, but def use it for building and all the projects around the house!

wouldnt use it for painting.. or running airtools like a sander (DA, palmsander)
It wont keep up with the volumn of air.. and it will have LOTS of water coming trough your lines.. ....

Use a cordless drill and get a good water trap.

Simple solutions.

Hello,

I was wondering if this air compressor will get the job done ok? It's a Kobalt, brand new in the box for 1/2 price. I don't have 220 in the garage so looking for a 110v that will work.

Cheers

Kobwo

846212001646lg.jpg

30-Gallon Cast Iron Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
Cast iron, V-twin cylinder, oil lubricated pump features: one-piece cast iron crankcase, thermally stable cast iron cylinder body, aluminum head and machined cast iron valve plate, automotive style ball bearings, and durable stainless steel reed valve. Heavy duty induction motor for maximum performance and efficiency Fully assembled 30 gallon ASME tank with pre-attached pneumatic wheels, quick-set regulator, tank and working pressure gauges, quick connect air outlet and on/off switch for ease of use
155 PSI max pressure, 6.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 5.3 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 1.6 running HP

I used a 20 gallon, 1.5 hp compressor to run all the air powered stuff when building my plane. I even painted the plane using that compressor and a conventional gun. Lack of air was never a problem. The one you identified will be just fine, IMO.

That'll be more than enough!

Back in 1987 or so, a friend of mine built an RV6 and his compressed air supply was an old refrigerator pump connected to a 10 gal air tank. It had no cutoff switch, you just had to unplug it at the right time. It couldn't really keep up with any kind of air tool but he did get her done!

That Kobalt will be plenty of air - as long as the internals don't lock up due to poor quality control.

... and it will have LOTS of water coming trough your lines...

Kobwo, you won't have as much problem with water in Las Vegas as John might have to deal with in south Texas. My 20-gallon Craftsman does fine running the HF el-cheapo touch-up gun I use for priming (I'd never consider paintng a whole airplane with it:eek:). It also does well with drilling and riveting, but it does come up short when running a die grinder.

How about the high desert in Nevada up around Reno. Summers average 15% humidity or less. Water going to be a problem? I'm shopping for a new AC, the little 15 gallon I've got is dying.

Makita MAC700

If noise is a concern (e.g., if you build in your basement like I do), I recommend the Makita MAC700 for the little stuff around the shop.

This compressor is similar in size to many of the Harbor Freight style units, but it runs at half the speed, so it sounds like an aquarium pump on steroids. When it's running in my basement, I can barely hear it upstairs. By comparison, when my neighbor runs his Harbor Freight compressor in the basement, I can hear it in my house!

Obviously, the MAC700 is not up to the task of spraying paint, but I've used it for pneumatic drills, riveters, etc., and it's more than up to the task. It'll even run a DA for some small touch-up jobs (though I get in trouble for creating so much dust!).

It's very high quality, and it's small enough to take to the hangar for replacing tires, checking compression, and cleaning spark plugs during annual.

I have a secret fetish for air compressors, and this is one of my favorites! Google it and shop around. I've seen it listed for under $200.

Back