What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV over Phoenix NASCAR 50-year Celebration

It is too bad the trumpeter didn't hit his mark like the flight did (you rock BeeGee). I hate disrespecting our National Anthem but the crowd didn't care, the drivers didn't care, and Nascar didn't care. The fireworks where shot off exactly in time with the flight. (you could hear the boom).
I hope we can put up some pics of the 12 flights in section (+ 2) on the runway before take off as well as the overhead breaks and collection of 50 airplanes back at the field. That was as impressive looking as the flyover IMHO.

Video from Echo 2

Here's how it looked from echo 2 with camera mounted on top of fuselage pointed to the right. After takeoff I sped up the playback while we drone along then I actually stopped recording until the 3 large diamonds starting coming together and kept it on until just after the "smoke off" call and the 3 big diamonds start to separate. If you just want to see the run-in, start watching the video around the 6:50 mark. I purposely didn't add music so the constant RPM changes can be heard. If you've never flown formation, it will give you an appreciation for how hard the pilot is working to hold position.

http://youtu.be/i86WSMaS1aE

Dave,
Nice shooting.
Looked a little bummmmmpy.

Call me and I will come polish that right wing for you.

Great job to all.
Hey BG. And PG:D

Boomer

All I could think about is here is our Airforce going to battle, all we needed was some 50 cal. And a few drop tanks. :)

Great video, yep a little bumpy from what I could see.

Great job guys and gals
Jack

Great video!

I went for a ride with the CAF Snowbirds years ago. It was windy, 25 gusting 30K. I remember how hard the pilot was working and how rough the flight was. From the ground I'm sure it looked as smooth as glass.

Nice job!

DBone which video camera are you using. Nice picture and I like the graphics on the left. I'd guess the garmin Virb. Am I right

DBone which video camera are you using. Nice picture and I like the graphics on the left. I'd guess the garmin Virb. Am I right

You are correct. Garmin Virb Elite. The "elite" version is what gets you the gps and accelerometer data. They have a very cool map function too, but it's a work in progress. When I view the video in their software, I can see the real time track overlaid onto a Google map. But they have some kind of contract dispute with Google about that, so the map doesn't show up once you render the video. What does show up is a track line, but with no background map, it isn't much good so I don't include it when I make videos. They also have a g-meter, but it's not great for flying. The g number is displayed as a little ball in the middle of a circle, and it bounces around way to much and is distracting during playback.

This is a video of the practice run taken from the Delta 4 position. Please excuse the camera angle towards the end. It was mounted to my headset with Velcro and was slowly falling off. On takeoff it is obvious how bad I want more hp and a constant speed prop. Had a great time. Thanks to Bee Gee, Falcon, Nasty and YoBo for all the hard work in putting this thing together and pulling it off in style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMXWWI62DM&feature=youtu.be

Fun to watch

Andy,
Thanks for posting the video. I enjoyed watching it.

Mark

This is a video of the practice run taken from the Delta 4 position. Please excuse the camera angle towards the end. It was mounted to my headset with Velcro and was slowly falling off. On takeoff it is obvious how bad I want more hp and a constant speed prop. Had a great time. Thanks to Bee Gee, Falcon, Nasty and YoBo for all the hard work in putting this thing together and pulling it off in style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMXWWI62DM&feature=youtu.be

Listen to the Crowd !!

I just found this on UTube?.lots of clips starting to surface. This isn?t great video but it?s really great audio ... turn the sound up and listen to what the folks are saying from about 1:20 to the end of the clip. It will make you proud ?. as if we already aren?t!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq9vMqxzmY4

Being an American? in America ?. In the air and on the ground ?. Is great! :)

They got it right

Bill's video is a very good example of what to do when the National Anthem is played:
every hat was removed (and on a very sunny day!);
no one chewing gum;
and most with hand over heart.

And of course they were vocally appreciative...

Back