What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saturday morning flight - breakfast run

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Last Saturday morning the 11-ship Lakes/Super Flight went to X21 at Titusville for breakfast. We were 11 ships of different models. It includes an RV6 and an RV-9A. We had the most smooth air I can remember for a long time. Video of the trip down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIw_lt1oSLY

Return flight, air became a little bumpy.

Bi-plane formation (two Vs):
IMG_2940-PANO.jpg

2nd flight go right echelon, #2 cross under.
IMG_3110.JPG

On the other hand is it true that certain species likes cold:D?
I feel your pain and at the same time am glad that I am no longer there up north.

Very Nice!!

I think I'll use your photo next time I hear worried comments in a briefing regarding various RV types and power in formation!

I think I'll use your photo next time I hear worried comments in a briefing regarding various RV types and power in formation!

Flying identical airplanes (same model, same hp, same prop, etc) is easier, but flying totally different airplanes in a formation can be flown safely. We do it twice a week, on Friday evening and Saturday morning. So far we have up to 14 totally different airplanes in our formation and change formations a few times for the passes. Mixture of different RVs to us is like flying identical airplanes! We do practice a lot and try to get everyone FAST qualified.

Three RVs in the flight: RV6, RV9 and RV9A. Others include Great Lakes, Stinson, Cessna 140, Cessna 180, Lynx, Dova Skylark, Glasair, Glastar, Decathlon, Maule, and Cherokee.
Bon-FIRE%2521+593.JPG

Friday evening fly-by for the neighbors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enw0aJmlP78

Last edited:
I'm wondering how much chatter there was about going too fast or too slow! :rolleyes:

I remember flying to Oshkosh with a friend in an RV-6A and another buddy in a big biplane wanted us to fly with him. My RV pilot friend asked him how fast he could cruise and he said 140 knots! Well, reality was more like 130 mph!

It seemed we were cruising with little power and a lot of nose up trim just to maintain level flight.

Nice video, Ted, and I really like the music.

"De-gaggle?"

Also wondering how you "de-gaggled" and made your approaches and landings.

Ted,
I sure am jealous as to how much flying you guys in Spruce Creek do.

I guess we will meet up somewhere one of these days.

My hangar is right next to where the turbine Maule parked. Ah... the smell of JP-4 after a pancake breakfast.

Don

I'm wondering how much chatter there was about going too fast or too slow! :rolleyes:

Not much at all. Our lead is very and he is not too much faster than Cessna 140. The slow guys/gal mostly stay inside. I usually run <1700 rpm on my fixed pitch O320. Always ready to pull idle to slow down. When I got a chance to lead, I got a lot of complains of being too fast. I can not always look back, need to check traffic, etc. We usually do 90 - 100 kts.

Also wondering how you "de-gaggled" and made your approaches and landings.

Just wait for a few days and I will share a video we produced for our Annual Gaggle Party on this Friday. You will see "How We Fly", from our leadership, briefing, walk through, flying, break, and de-brief.

My hangar is right next to where the turbine Maule parked. Ah... the smell of JP-4 after a pancake breakfast.

Don

First time taxi in front of the turbine Maule made me wonder whether something was wrong with my airplane. It just sounds weird.

Ted,
I sure am jealous as to how much flying you guys in Spruce Creek do.

I guess we will meet up somewhere one of these days.

We go to X21 on the first Saturday, TIX the 2nd (this coming) Saturday, 3rd Saturday is New Smyrna Beach. Of course it is only 5 nm so we do not always go. We may go to St Augustine or DeLand instead. With slow airplanes we usually do not venture too far. Join us this Saturday at Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum. For $8 you get a breakfast prepared for you by a real chef and a free tour of the museum.

Back