What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Around the Corner

Vlad

Well Known Member
Not as colorful as Gary's and not as scientific as Paul's, my short trip around Appallachian Corner was right on the money. A lot of fun was had.

photo_zpsaa7d3ce7.jpg

A personal day coupled with two days off was enough time to visit cousin in VA, famous Triple Tree FlyIn in SC, a boat gathering in TN and new wannabe in KY.

Ride to VA was a bit longer then planned.

1.jpg

Atlantic City, now closed Bader field. My younger cousin works 6 miles from here at big place where they have fast giants killer jets and all kinds of radars. I sneaked unnoticed.

2.jpg

After Atlantic City weather gods were not in good mood. I stopped at Wildwood WWD, reassesed the situation, then trolled along and around the front staying far from Red Circle and Forbidden Squares.

3.jpg

In VA skies were nice and rosey. Don Alexander met me at Hanover Airport and we spent several hours flying around. Visited Louisa and Bob Martin, Shenandoah Valley and Blackstone Joint civilian/military base. Topped off the day at a cozy Mexican restaurant with Don and his lovely wife Mary.

Day was great and sleep was deep.

Last edited:
Next morning crisp weather. Don dropped me off at the airport and up I went toward the Carolinas. Upper Carolina was clear but the Lower One brew something. It brew another big red circle around Charlotte and dense layer of condensation over Triple Tree.

Still OK for now.

5.jpg

Bridge to nowhere.

4.jpg

From here there was a lot of radio chatting.

6.jpg

Airplanes were stacked like pancakes over Triple Tree and pleaded for a pirep. Approach at Greer could not help much. TT Tower reported legal Class G day VFR, many people turned back. Somebody local landed and reported doable. I landed too.

7.jpg

There were not many airplanes on the grounds.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Food stands were not ready yet and I spent some time browsing around. Grass was wet and soil soaked. Bought a sandwich and sat at empty table watching an RV landing.

11.jpg

There were two other guys, one of them said; Hey you know it's not allowed here to eat alone. Come here. I am Bill and this is Pat.

That's how I know Bill the radio announcer and Pat the owner of Triple Tree Empire.

12.jpg

Pat Hartness is amazing fellow. Invited me to his truck to tour the facility.

Old Air Force Tower they bought, transported here and totally restored to originality. There are some antennae Pat doesn't even know what they are for.

13.jpg

His hangar and his toys.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

This is what his wife presented him after he turned big boy 70. What a wife!

17.jpg

19.jpg

He told me about his plans. The plans are of grandiose improvements. This beach project for kids.

20.jpg

Met several RVators they all know me from VAF. Became stereotypical - hi Vlad I read you on VAF!

18.jpg

Time to go. TN called and asked why so long?

I go to TN in Sept every year. Previous year highlights are here. I planned to build a mahogany runabout but now I think of buying already built one. Several RV builders/pilots have constructed similar. Roberta being the most famous.

Usually I arrive, boaters track me via APRS, I do a pass over marina, then somebody picks me up at local airport which is couple miles away. This year the situation after landing was different and it developed quick. I passed over riders couple times on safe altitude and landed.

34_zps5bf76a1b.jpg

Landed, chocked, tied, covered, ready for pickup.

38_zps6c91a138.jpg

An SUV stops by the gate. An official looking lady gets out and with very serious look is walking toward me. Hello, I am Carrol from Chattanooga fisdow, can I see your pilot license and medical please? :eek: And she flashes an ID/business card with a pic and a blue something...

Sure I said my brains didn't work that fast for looong time. I didn't think of why, my thoughts were WHO I will be calling NOW to get legal counsel. Cousin? No, need somebody heavyweight in NY. Urgently.

Show lasted only several seconds a guy got of the SUV and it was Chris who taught his mother how to act to scare the Russian. Chris flies some serious corporate hardware and always ready to throw a joke on piston pilot. Well done Chris! :D

36_zps879ab380.jpg

We all enjoyed the boat gathering. Most boaters reserved floating cabins, I shared a cabin on the land.

35_zps9e165d62.jpg

Next day were rides and more fun.

39_zps3b1b93b6.jpg

Tomorrow I go to Kentucky...

Last edited:
Great stuff Vlad! I learned to fly at Hanover years ago. Although it is a totally different place now it still holds a special place in my heart. I'm glad you were able to hook up with Don and tour the old stomping grounds. You should pick up a Virginia Aviation Ambassador Passport and collect your stamps. You would have it filled in no time!

Kentucky

Flight to Kentucky was short and ride smooth.

41_zps139e15b5.jpg

They have a lot of real estate there.

42_zps2fae306d.jpg

43_zpsdd6f356b.jpg

At Clark Regional Airport of Indiana I picked up a fellow RV9A builder Jeff.

rr5.jpg

Jeff just started his project, he is a former Boeinger and current truck racer. Overall cool fellow and fits right in RV9. He could fly it too without any servos he held altitude spot on and airspeed as requested. His recent PP checkride was probably a breeze for examiner. You need to speed up that project of yours Jeff.

With Jeff we flew to Rough River State Park there is an airport there.

45_zps42baee03.jpg

46_zps86780b57.jpg

There is nice little restaurant just across the parking.

47_zpsee0cdfff.jpg

rr2.jpg

It serves good food. Thank you Jeff for bringing me here.

rr4.jpg

Jeff set me with discounted fuel through his connections and I left.

44_zps80a9ccd5.jpg

Flight back home was super duper easy. I have to install some extra goodies on the panel to troubleshoot something on longer legs :D It gets boring, especially if you are familiar with landscape.

Be warned if you fly directly over here

51_zpsde48b721.jpg

or here

54_zpsac4283c2.jpg

you get caught and end up in one of those gulags they are close.

53_zps158e99d8.jpg

I am unpainted so it's really tough to see me if I stick in to the cloud bottom WW2 style.

52_zpsf67a901b.jpg

Jokes aside I was at proper altitude and distance you never know who may read this :D

photo1_zps9ecef589.png

Wind mills are my favorites. Everywhere I go I look at them. I have to remember this place to check later.

55_zps25b11803.jpg

A bit short of four hours I landed at my home base at Princeton, NJ. Around my row of hangars I found five (!) U-Haul trucks dropped by customers. One of them effectively blocked the entrance to my hangar. FBO came to rescue and placed my tired RV in communal hangar. Somehow I extracted my MINI from the hangar and two hours later was home. Keep pounding those rivets!

Last edited:
Great trip

As usual Vlad, another great write-up. You keep motivating those still building. Next trip South, give me a call (VAF white pages). I'm Ohio bound next week but I have to leave my RV in the hangar. I am hauling another toy North to play with while I'm gone (Harley Road King). Wish I could figure out how to haul a Harley with my -6 :D

Be warned if you fly directly over here

51_zpsde48b721.jpg

Jokes aside I was at proper altitude and distance you never know who may read this :D

photo1_zps9ecef589.png

Just a few miles south of the A-plant in your picture there is a big Ohio facility where they transport bad Ohioans to haven. Two MOAs with a lot of F-16s butt against both and are quite active. Since A-plant is in cold shutdown you can over fly it above 2,500' MSL without worrying about going to the big house. The closed mountain top airport right under your flight path also has an interest facility around and under it.

Too bad that I am no longer there to show you around.

Hope the fsdo lady er, umm, my mom, didnt give you too much of a heart attack, Vlad. It was great to see you again! Always good for lots of laughs. Now figure out how to tow a homebuilt boat with the -9A and we'll see you next year!
-Chris

In VA skies were nice and rosey. Don Alexander met me at Hanover Airport and we spent several hours flying around. Visited Louisa and Bob Martin, Shenandoah Valley and Blackstone Joint civilian/military base. Topped off the day at a cozy Mexican restaurant with Don and his lovely wife Mary.

Day was great and sleep was deep.

Cousin, for such a kind soul I think there's a cruel streak in you. I thought I was past the dreaded "free flight" in an RV. My RV is way past the quick build stage and 6-8 months of steady work would finish it up. But my Cherokee isn't the same joy she used to be. You suggested a Plan B to get me flying sooner - and I'm looking at RVs. I've been spoiled by flying in an RV and I can't wait to finish mine to start flying one....so I've been looking all weekend at RV's for sale. The Cherokee will need to find a new home....I'm ready to buy any side-by-side RV at the right price - I've got 2 I'm seriously looking at and you never know what you'll find in the hanger the next time you stop by KXSA for fuel. Incredibly, the wife is okay with the plan, as long as it's a side-by-side and the price is right. <g>

Vlad,

I figured out how you can take your boat with you on your next trip.

Take a look at this.

glenn654rv

(Would have put the pic in the post but haven't learned how to do that yet)

Glenn Wilkinson

Vlad,

I figured out how you can take your boat with you on your next trip.

Take a look at this.

IMG_0304.jpg

(Would have put the pic in the post but haven't learned how to do that yet)

Glenn Wilkinson

Glenn your idea is better then mine :D

towplane.jpg

Back