What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying new panel at night

bkthomps

Well Known Member
Took the RV4 out last night for some night XC time behind the new panel/AP now that I've done about 10hrs of day VFR with it verifying everything works

Here's some shots, still fine tuning a few bits but so far it's a blast to fly. If you haven't upgraded your panel yet, hopefully this is some extra motivation

cISeZ.jpg

dKBXd.jpg

eeKqd.jpg

Very nice. I am thinking about doing an upgrade but have one concern. How is your night vision with all the "white" light that the "glass panel" puts out?

ADS-B will be required in 7-years to use the airspace the way I use it now. The airplane will be over 20-years old then and an update would be in order.

the screens dim very nicely, i haven't had any issue with night vision, i have a strip of red LED's that fires down from the canopy bow that I use as well, the mixture of these two light sources gives me all the visibility i would need

Speaking in general, because I'm flying a different EFIS, I am more comfortable at night with a glass panel than the steam gauges. I have always found the steam gauges difficult to read in a low-light setting; even a good lighting ring leaves dark areas. Shining a light on them usually makes it worse as the reflection off of the glass just makes them harder to read. On the other hand, a glass panel is easy to read, even at extremely dim settings. At about 40% dim, I can look out my RV cockpit and see perfectly well if the night conditions permit. On a moonlit night, that means seeing terrain reasonably well. However, a glass panel in a C-182 made it difficult to see across the cockpit and out the other side, so I believe placement is a potential factor. In the RV, there is no direction to look out of the cockpit that puts the panel directly in my line-of-sight.

i agree with this, it's very easy to control the DIM setting and it is simple to read this screen versus the steam panels i've flown in the past

Brian,
I am building a -9. I was working on the wings and found a great deal on a mostly complete airframe. I thought I had time to learn about what I wanted in a panel but now I have to start making choices. Your panel looks great and I have heard good things about the Skyview. Do ylou have a full picture of your panel or a list of what you have installed? I am confused when I try to understand what options I need to add. There is a list of many items I can't figure if they are included or not.

I would love to have your dual screen setup. Do you have a lock on your plane and where is it parked! haha!

It is a dual 7" skyview, dual adhars, dual backup batteries, dual alternators, PAR100EX with radio, G430W (dual radios)

I can tolerate a failure of any of the components with this configuration, and it's a LOT stuffed into a RV4, but is still most likely lighter than my previous panel

Last edited:
Back