What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A N385TE goes aloft!

Rupester

Well Known Member
Happy to pronounce that newly registered 385TE put air under her and runway behind her yesterday. Wheels up on First Flight at 9:30CDT on a cool day at a very busy BMI. As planned, a short first flight of 0.7 hrs ? everything went as expected . She flew as billed and climbed like the proverbial homesick angel. Climb-out was 100kts at 900 to 1000fpm. Wow. In no time I was at 4000MSL and orbiting BMI. Landing was OK ? not bad, not great ?. but happy to be back on the ground safe and ?unbent.? All engine temps were on the money ? one minor annoyance with low voltage alarms ; not sure if it?s really LV or maybe a loose connector. A BIG big day for this guy ?and wife Kris ? who was videographer.
? the takeoff and landing video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ue7pGSnsQ8

No way to fully express my appreciation of my ?long suffering spouse? who, over the last six years, never once complained about a) all the money I was spending, or b) the amount of time I spent in the garage. Besides my wondrous Spousal Unit, special thanks go to Jim Bustard, Terry Wendling, Ben Schneider, Chad Jensen, Mike Radliff, Keith Doornbos, Steve Hesselschwerdt, Dave Burden, Rick Woodall, Jack Holland, Steve Etcheson, Mark Reynolds, Don Hogan, EAA Chapter 129 ? and all the contributors to Van?s Air Force.

Nice

That is great, FINALLY.

Where are the wheel pants, where is the paint, how many more hours left to fly off??????

Come on, will meet you for beers in Michigan as soon as you are free to roam.

Nice technique on the back pressure while taxiing. Glad your bird flies well.

Enjoy the next stage. Will be watching for the fly off of hours.

Congrats

Congrats on your 1st flight - it is personally very satisfying when your baby take to the sky!.
congrats-plane.jpg

Good luck with your phase 1 testing.

Awesome! I am still building time on my -9A, gradually becoming more and more comfortable and trusting.

Enjoy your airplane!

Congratulations

Like Jeff, I'm still building time on mine. They are wonderful machines and I couldn't be happier with my choice of plane. 30 hours now. They are soooo much fun to fly.

Enjoy and be safe!!!!

Terry,
What an exciting time it must be for you. It looked like your plane did not want to stop flying. I could almost hear it saying - keep me in the air! I can't wait to I am at the same place you are now. Im heading to the garage to get back to work!

Terry,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be an experience that you won't soon forget----now de-cowl, check it out for leaks or loose connectors, re-cowl, and fly the wings off that thing----and remember -- serious/focused/methodical-- but enjoy!!!

You did good.

Cheers,

db

Back