What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm a 29 yr old airline pilot, I just lost my medical...

Lost Medical

Dont you give up, modern medicine has ways of giving you that flying bug back , my wife who is a qualified nurse in New Zealand says, find some-one who can give you extra brain activity exercises will help the brain cells re-build themselves. It takes time but you are still young and God willing you will be flying in 3-4 years.

Keep on fighting! We are dealt many cards in life, most we cannot choose. But how you react to the hand you are dealt -- it is your choice whether to win or lose!

Hello everyone. It's been a long time and I thought I'd give a little update. Back in March, I had my surgery and it went great. If you can believe it, I spent only 24 hrs in ICU before being released. The surgery only took 2 hrs. That night I went out with my family for dinner. The next day we were on a flight home with absolutely no pain, just a funny haircut. Although once, I did bump my head directly on my staples, (that rang my bell). Anyway, I really had a great summer. My wife and myself bought a foreclosed house, fixed it up and now have renters in it. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while, but never had the time, which I have plenty of now.

The really great news is that the flight surgeons have signed off on me and are sending me to have my "real" flight physical done. I never thought I'd even get this far. So basically, it comes down to what the docs and other higher ups think about my procedure. I was able to get a letter from my surgeon saying that I will have absolutely no problems with high altitude and high g situations. I have no scar and and am as normal as I was before the surgery. Anything can happen, but I'm feeling fairly confident that they aren't going to have a problem with me flying for the ANG.

I guess we'll see. If all goes well next week, the next step for me is pilot training and soon I'll be flying the KC-135.

Wish me luck!

Steve

Hello everyone. It's been a long time and I thought I'd give a little update. Back in March, I had my surgery and it went great. If you can believe it, I spent only 24 hrs in ICU before being released. The surgery only took 2 hrs. That night I went out with my family for dinner. The next day we were on a flight home with absolutely no pain, just a funny haircut. Although once, I did bump my head directly on my staples, (that rang my bell). Anyway, I really had a great summer. My wife and myself bought a foreclosed house, fixed it up and now have renters in it. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while, but never had the time, which I have plenty of now.

The really great news is that the flight surgeons have signed off on me and are sending me to have my "real" flight physical done. I never thought I'd even get this far. So basically, it comes down to what the docs and other higher ups think about my procedure. I was able to get a letter from my surgeon saying that I will have absolutely no problems with high altitude and high g situations. I have no scar and and am as normal as I was before the surgery. Anything can happen, but I'm feeling fairly confident that they aren't going to have a problem with me flying for the ANG.

I guess we'll see. If all goes well next week, the next step for me is pilot training and soon I'll be flying the KC-135.

Wish me luck!

Steve

That's great news, Steve!!! I've been wondering about how you were making out. I wish you the best of luck and results, and hope you are in the air before you know it!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my surgery and it went great.

The really great news is that the flight surgeons have signed off on me and are sending me to have my "real" flight physical done.

Steve

Great, and GREAT!!!!:D

Glad to hear the good news, thanks for reporting back to us.

Good luck

Outstanding!

Steve,
Thanks for the update! It's great we're getting some good news! That is truely awesome! I'm sure you will savor the gift of flight even more after such an encounter!
Here's to a bright future!

Steve,
Just read this whole thread and thoought I'd share a little experience for an old guy. realizing you are still quite young and have this need to be in the air, this is how I would handle your situation. Try building an empennage and see how you like it. I have often said that if I had to quit flying for any reason the most fun is hanging out at the airport with other folks who have the same love of aviation and swapping lies. If you are at the airport frequently I guarantee you will be flying from the right seat with your friends. Just a thought.

That's very good news!

Steve,
I think you are a fine example of just exactly what a "positive attitude" can do.

Don

Thanks everyone! One thing I didn't mention is that this physical is to be able to fly for the Air National Guard, which is my dream. If I can't fly for the ANG, then I'm sure I'll have no problem getting my FAA medical back, and I'll be able to return to the airlines, probably in May of next year.

Either way, I'll be flying soon enough.

As for building, as much as I like working in the garage on my car, I just don't think I have the patients to build an airplane. I would love to build a car, like a Factory Five Racing car, but not a plane. My plan is get a basic, mid to high time RV-4 initially. Then as I save up money, turn it into a really nice IFR plane. Doing this will probably allow me to buy the plane soon after getting out of pilot training.

Anyway, all that doesn't matter right now. Just need to pass this physical!

Thanks again guys. It's amazing how many caring people are on here.

Steve

That's really great news, Steve, glad to hear that you'll get back in the air. Sometimes you just have so much fun up there that you wonder if it's really even legal, and I wonder how i'd make do if I lost the ability to fly. It wouldn't be a fun day, i'm sure.

Steve,
I just read your posts. Great news all around! Some advice about your waivers (I have a little bit to do with the FAA and the ANG). Get rock solid letters from your treating physicians about the course of your disease, procedures and progress. Most importantly, if they can legitimately do so, have them say in your letter that you are not at substantially greater risk than the average population for incapacitation. I speak on this issue a fair amount and my theme is to give them everything that they need to say "yes" the first time. Hospital discharge summaries, lab, anything that could possibly apply. Your ANG flight doc and your AME need to do a great job of putting it together to hand it to them on a silver platter. Both govt entities are more comfortable saying "no" if it involves any heartburn to them. Do your best to not give them a reason to feel like it is a stretch for them.

Good luck.
John
RV-8

Well, flight physical is over. I passed (as far as I know) everything. Right now, the only hang up is they are calling my bleed a stroke, which is incorrect. But I have a feeling they don't know what rules it falls under, so the closet thing is a stroke. And for someone who has a stroke, you have to wait 3 years. So, right now we (my unit and myself) are trying to change that 3 year waiting period. It's already almost been 1 year since my bleed, so maybe we can at least cut that in half. A year and a half will be spring of next year, and that's something that would work. If I have to wait another 2 years, I may not be able to get an age waiver for that long.

I have to say, I am extremely happy that I've even made it this far. They haven't said no! Just, you may have to wait. If we bother the right people, with more facts about my case, then I may be in pilot training next year.

Even if I can't fly KC-135's, I'll at least be able to return to my airline as a Captain. As much as I want to fly for the ANG, getting my airline career back isn't a bad thing.

Steve

Hey everybody, I thought I'd post a quick update.

Unfortunately the ANG isn't going to happen. My bleed is a disqualifying condition and I will never have a flying status with the military. I can't explain the disappointment. But, life goes on.

In April, we sent all my information to the FAA and 6 weeks later they got back to me saying all I needed was a follow up MRI and doctor visit. I hoped a plane to PHX and saw my surgeon. Kinda weird shaking the hand of the man who touched my brain :) Anyway MRI is great and he was more than willing to write whatever the FAA required.

The FAA has my stuff and I'm just waiting for them to send me my medical! Should be sometime this month!

Great news Steve. I have been reading your posts and just noticed it was a couple years ago it all started. Wow. I know it has been a heck of an effort for you to get back in the left seat, but you did it. Way to go.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I thought I'd post a quick update.

Unfortunately the ANG isn't going to happen. My bleed is a disqualifying condition and I will never have a flying status with the military. I can't explain the disappointment. But, life goes on.

In April, we sent all my information to the FAA and 6 weeks later they got back to me saying all I needed was a follow up MRI and doctor visit. I hoped a plane to PHX and saw my surgeon. Kinda weird shaking the hand of the man who touched my brain :) Anyway MRI is great and he was more than willing to write whatever the FAA required.

The FAA has my stuff and I'm just waiting for them to send me my medical! Should be sometime this month!

Life does in deed go on.

Good luck, and don't be a stranger. ;)

Steve,

Good news on the medical situation as far as the FAA is concerned. Hope they come through soon.

Is your company on board with all this stuff?

Years ago the company I worked for has their own medical department and another set of hoops to jump through. With the economics of airlines today, most companies probably have done away with such departments and let the FAA decided such matters.

Good luck with all this, it is kind of nice to have a job these days.

Damnit......this was not expected. Just got this letter on Friday. I know it's zoomed in, but right there in the middle says it all.

C360_2012-07-07-23-12-08_org.jpg

It says I can appeal it, which you know I will, but it's just doesn't make sense. My flight doc (who deals with trying to get a lot of US Airway's pilot's medicals back) sent my stuff to the FAA in Jan of this year. 6 weeks later they said they needed a current MRI and a doc's note (expected). 5 weeks after they got that, the come back with some BS letter that doesn't volunteer any information. Denied. Even if I appeal and win, it's going to be another 2 months probably before I'm flying again. I'm just afraid they are going to make me wait another couple of years before they will even reconsider.

It seams like just yesterday I started this thread. I was 29 and flying the Dash 8 900 hrs a year. Been doing that since I was 23. Now I'm 31 and haven't flown a plane in a year and a half. I can't even fly sport pilot now that my medical has been denied.

I have to get my butt off the ground. I flew gliders from 13 to 18 years old. I'm going to get checked out next week. I can't wait to get back into that sport.

You know, the military said no ONLY because they had to put me under a category that was already in the books. Unfortunately this category didn't really appeal to me, but because it was the closest thing to it, that's all they had and that meant I will never be able to fly for them. Fine, 1 dream that I worked my *** off for was gone, but it wasn't the end of the world. Everyone thought I'd have no problem getting my medical back from the FAA, and everything seemed to be just fine until Friday when they pulled a 180 on me. This letter makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

Anyway, just had to vent a little. It's tough when it's not only your passion, but also your income. I think what bothered me the most was this letter was so nonchalant. My entire career was in their hands and they blew me off.

Once I start flying gliders again, I'll be much happier. Maybe I'll post a picture or three of me taking my wife for a ride. That's something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

This thread has been a kind of release for me. You guys have been absolutely the best therapy one could ask for.

I'll stay in touch,
Steve

Steve,
In the eyes of the FAA, it is much easier if you just go away, and that is what they are trying to get you to do. You are likely going to need a group such as Virtual Flight Surgeons http://aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home to assist you.
I have done a lot of work on stuff like this at my airline, and our Union has VFS on retainer. They have done a great job of getting some of our guys back in the saddle. You may already have access to VFS or a similar group through your airline or union.
If I can be of any assistance, PM me.
Good Luck,

Help with FAA

Steve,
I have been following your saga with great interest. Many possible venues have been offered, but I would like to offer one more:pilot Medical Solutions of Bethany OK. My problem, prostate cancer, was not as exotic as yours, and I was only going for a third class, but I was very pleased with their service. They first gathered a great deal of information from me, then worked with my doctors to be sure that they wrote the letters exactly as the FAA wants (The FAA won't disclose the format). Pilot Medical solutions took about six weeks to gather and organize the paperwork. From the time they submitted the paperwork until the certificate was signed was about a week. They are certainly are expensive, but I am convinced that they saved a year's time in getting my medical.

Best wishes in your path back to the cockpit!

Steve, The advice in the above post is spot on. You need to use the link and contact them ASAP. They are the best in the world at getting your medical back. The company is the former ALPA Aeromedical Office. It was spun off from ALPA and is now a private company but still provides the same services for all ALPA airlines and many other pilot unions who contract with them.
Again there is no one better at dealing with the FAA on medical issues. You might even find it would be covered by your airline union. If its not covered spend the money. They are your best option to preserve a flying career.

George

Steve, The advice in the above post is spot on. You need to use the link and contact them ASAP. They are the best in the world at getting your medical back. The company is the former ALPA Aeromedical Office. It was spun off from ALPA and is now a private company but still provides the same services for all ALPA airlines and many other pilot unions who contract with them.
Again there is no one better at dealing with the FAA on medical issues. You might even find it would be covered by your airline union. If its not covered spend the money. They are your best option to preserve a flying career.

George

I second that! My company works with AMAS (new name) and they are awesome!

FAA

Steve,
You have had quite a ride with your situation. I could only try to imagine what you have had to go through. You are a winner. Never give up.

If you are ever out my way, you can fly with me any time.

There is a lot of support out here for you.

Keep us posted.

Nick

Keep at it Steve!

Steve,

Just got my second class back after 11 months of no medical. Had to go back and forth with more doctor info submitted before I got the medical back. Have to get one every year....for any class. Don't be too discouraged.....losing a battle doesn't mean you lost the war!!! Keep firing new rounds and listen to these posts and use all possible resources!!!

Yol Bolson!!!!!

Funds

Steve I don't know your financial situation but you would be EXTREMELY surprised what a well worded letter from an aviation lawsuit attorney would do for you. Things can be expedited etc. Something to think about... Either way I would make it my new job to be on their butt for the rest of their natural life. They may just give you a lifetime medical (made up...) just to get you to go away! :D

Agree with the above -- you just have to stay on them. No one's going to give your certificate back unless you keep pushing. Wonder if they would at least consider giving you a 3rd class? Maybe it's the fly for hire situation that has them worried the most. A 3rd class would at least get you back in the air. Good luck, Steve.

Write your congressmen. The FAA is required to promptly respond to a congressman. If he/she will submit an inquiry, and if they mention your military background, it might help.

Thank you everyone, including those who have taken the time to PM me. I did get ahold of my FAA doc and he was blown away. His take on the letter is that whoever had the honor to stamp "denied" missed the fact that I'm not on meds anymore, haven't been since March of last year. They must have thought I am still taking medications. So, I'm sending in a letter (going to try to be nice) that explains when I stopped taking these meds, along with my FAA doctor who is also sending in a letter.

He really thinks this misunderstanding will be resolved soon. If not, then I'm going to call ALPA Aeromedical. This is a free service for me since I'm an ALPA member. But I know they are backed up right now, so I'm guessing it's going to be at least another 5 weeks to hear back. I'm really hoping it'll be less though.

The guy I'm working with has a ton of experience with getting pilot's medicals back. If he wasn't around, half of the US Airways Pilot's wouldn't be flying right now.

It's great to be able to share my story with you guys. Soon I hope to be able to share pictures of my wife and myself flying my dad's RV-7 to Florida to visit her father and put an end to this thread. Maybe I'll even throw in a few Dash-8 pics in as well :)

You will get it

Stay positive, stay on it, and be relentless.

Oh, and we would appreciate the -8 pics. In flight of course ;)

Thank you everyone, including those who have taken the time to PM me. I did get ahold of my FAA doc and he was blown away. His take on the letter is that whoever had the honor to stamp "denied" missed the fact that I'm not on meds anymore, haven't been since March of last year. They must have thought I am still taking medications. So, I'm sending in a letter (going to try to be nice) that explains when I stopped taking these meds, along with my FAA doctor who is also sending in a letter.

He really thinks this misunderstanding will be resolved soon. If not, then I'm going to call ALPA Aeromedical. This is a free service for me since I'm an ALPA member. But I know they are backed up right now, so I'm guessing it's going to be at least another 5 weeks to hear back. I'm really hoping it'll be less though.

The guy I'm working with has a ton of experience with getting pilot's medicals back. If he wasn't around, half of the US Airways Pilot's wouldn't be flying right now.

It's great to be able to share my story with you guys. Soon I hope to be able to share pictures of my wife and myself flying my dad's RV-7 to Florida to visit her father and put an end to this thread. Maybe I'll even throw in a few Dash-8 pics in as well :)

Call ALPA aeromedical today. Please don't wait. You actually should have had them involved from the moment you had the first problem. I suspect you would be back flying now. Its your career but they are the experts on dealing with FAA medical issues. I have know others who did not use them and it cost them months or even years in the process to regain a medical. They can often advise on exactly what needs to be done and how your doctor should document each aspect of your medical condition on a ongoing basis to satisfy the FAA. You can't go back after the fact and change wording in your medical records and it can be critical. That is why you want it right in the first place. Just a small change in a phase written in a medical record can be the difference between getting back to work quickly or perhaps never getting back to work. Please call them, better late then never!

George

I HAVE A 1ST CLASS MEDICAL!!!!

Looking back on it, I probably should have gone through ALPA like so many told me to do. Turns out the FAA lost ALL of my medical records, hence the reason for the crazy denial letters. They had missing information. My records were sent to Atlanta, then sent to Oklahoma, then to some place in New England. Somewhere along the way, someone didn't do their job.

Anyway, who cares, I have a medical!

I basically got my start in flying at a glider airport in SC when I was 13. I ended up working there just about every weekend until I went off to college. It was like my 2nd home. A couple of weeks ago I got checked out again in gliders. Words cannot describe how much I have missed flying gliders. There's absolutely nothing like it. Another passion of mine is towing. It is some of the most fun I have EVER had in an airplane. I just got checked out in the Pawnee again and started towing. Once again, words cannot describe the feeling of being back in the air. I know that I've taken flying for granted in the past, that will never happen again.

Time for some pictures.

My wife and myself flying my dad's RV7 before the bleed.

IMG_4138Copying.jpg

The morning of the surgery....we didn't get much sleep that night.

IMG_4153Copying.jpg

Hours later. Those dots on my forehead were from the vice my head was in.

IMG_4161Copying.jpg

Fast forward to yesterday. One of the best days of my life. I took my wife, my mom, and a good friend of mine for a ride in the sailplane.

Myself and my wife, Ashlie.
IMG957738.jpg

IMG954052.jpg

My buddy and myself in the 2-33 (glider).

IMG958930.jpg

Here are two short videos. This one is me and my mom taking off. My buddy, Danny, is filming, my dad is the loud one, and Jayne is the one who lifted the wing. She's one of the owners of Bermuda High. She and Frank, the other owner, are like my 2nd parents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmobUuPlkiY

And here is me and Danny flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5BPVUkUV0

I'll be starting training at my airline again shortly and hopefully I'll get picked up by a major soon.

It's been a **** of a ride....one that I hope I never have to experience again. I want to thank every one for your support. It really meant a lot to me.

I've been looking forward to putting this thread to rest for some time now. There were times, especially in the beginning, where I didn't really know what the outcome would be. Everything happens for a reason and I'm so thankful to have had a condition that was correctable. I know there are so many people, like me, who have medical issues that keep them from living their dream. I'm one lucky dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
great news

Steve, this is great news for you and all of us. I know it hasn't been an easy road for you, but you stuck with it and are on the other side now. Best of luck to you and your flying future. This is really great.

Steve,
I've followed your story from start to finish. A heartfelt congratulations for pushing through all the roadblocks and hurdles to get back to health, back to flying and back to life as you knew it before the bleed. Way to go!

Its great you got your medical back. Now get back in the cockpit and build a few more hours. Almost all the major airlines are heading into the largest group of retirements in history staring around 2016. Hiring is going to be fast and furious.
To anyone on here with a medical problem the ALPA aeromedical guys are simply the very best at dealing with the FAA. The FAA medical guys often take advise from them and they deal with them on a daily basis with a excellent working relationship. Anyone can use them for help even if your not a professional pilot. If you value your ticket they are the way to go.

George

Steve, the rest of us are. It yet ready to "put this thread to rest". I for one want to add my congratulations and appreciation that you shared your story. It reinforces how important flying is and - sometimes - how hard me must work to keep flying!

Enjoy the skies !

Back