What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

She has left the nest

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
:)

I am beaming with pride ? my baby took to the air today. After 11 months I am now entering phase 1 and starting a new adventure. I have to thank Jetguy for his help. He had first honors punching the first hole in the sky with N25DV.
After flying we had to tweak a few things, she had a heavy left wing. After checking the flapperons we needed to put a few turns in the heim joints the left flapperon. Also adjusted the idle down just a little, and re-pitched the 3 blade Sensenich.

Weather was perfect - wind calm and 80 deg

A few photos before we ran out of daylight.
DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

I will post more photos and video tomorrow after flying in tomorrow morning.

Good night with a big RV grin!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

This is what my Dad would call a "Red Letter day!" Congrats David... they sure do look nice with air under those wheels, don't they!:D

Mike, I have been validated now that I received your comments from the mother ship VAF -
LOL

You have to be the leader of the welcome wagon. :)

Thanks I do appreciate the comments. If you make it out to the east coast let me know.

AWESOME!!!

David,

WOW....nice photos!!! Didn't see the one with the RV grin:D What a fast build...gonna have to have you fly down here and give me a hand with the -8;)

If you are ever down in Northern VA....stop in and we will have a cup of coffee. I am by Culpeper (KCJR). Enjoy the Phase I:)

YOL BOLSON!!!

good work ...

I'm still trying to get over the fact of 11 months to build... WOW. The pictures are great! Congratulations, be safe and have a great time with your RV-12 prize!:D

Congratulations Dave. FYI, Vlad has been outed! Through careful, tedious investigation it has been determined that he is "The most interesting man in the world". You know, the guy on the Dos Equis beer commercial? The guy that mosquitos don't bite out of respect! When he does pushups he does not push himself up, he pushes the planet. That's him.

Vlad, a few days ago I invited you to wild and wonderful Cecil Co., Md. and you asked "What you have intersting in Cecil Co."? Answer-Not much, that's why we need you!!!

PREP from todays flights

Today was even better ? now have approximately 5 hours of testing. I flew the plane and John continued flight testing. We are racking up the hours and really dialing it in. We added only one wedge to adjust rudder trim and adjusted the heim joints for the heavy wing last night. Now she is fly?s level with hands off.

Re-pitched the 3 blade and runs like a champ ? smooth at 5500 rpm. She flew about 115 ? 116 kts without wheel pants. Climb is about 950 ft per min with density altitude at 1750. Finished fine tuning a few things, idle is now correct; the Grand Rapids autopilot is working great after completing some configuration setting today.

Adjusted the trim speed ? I have a vertical power and set trim speed at different power settings. This is a nice feature.
Dave Farmer came in is 12 an was chase plane for photos. It was good to be able to ask about his readings and we matched up very good from temp, speed, altitude, heading, etc?

Tomorrow another 5 ? 6 hours of flying fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-08-31 15.09.11.jpg

OK the GRIN!

DSC_0695.JPG

Photo from Dave's RV12

:eek:
Good thing John is not to shy - LOL put him in front of a camera who knows what you will get. Don't know if he is not having as much fun as I am. A slow 3 ft pass for a photo opportunity.
DSC_0647.JPG

Contact Sheet-1 083112.jpg

Last ones for the night. I will try to post the video tomorrow.
Contact Sheet-2 083112.jpg

Back