What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weekend in Vacationland

Vlad

Well Known Member
It's hot and muggy in the City and it's cool and nice in Maine. I have full tanks of gas and I know how to get there. It's mostly up.

Up up up ...

1-2.jpg

I climbed higher closer to real airplanes, switched on oxygen, trimmed my whiskey compass nicely to 40 degrees and took a nap.

2-2.jpg

triptorangeley.jpg

Woke up in two hours

3-1.jpg

climbed down to a familiar lake and took a challenge of two glissers on speedy pass. Relax plastic jet ski you are no match for fast metal airplane. Bob Axsom would be proud if he saw the race.

glissers.jpg

Familiar Rangeley airport.

4-1.jpg

Very familiar courtesy car.

5-1.jpg

And I know where the key is.

6-1.jpg

Evening was spent with nice company of cousins in famous bungalow.

7-1.jpg

Last edited:
Crisp and clear next morning. Recon time!

I had a clandestine navi who led my RV and I to some places previously unseen.

Sugarloaf mountain. They are building a lot here. In the middle of nowhere. Condos and such. Looks like their economy is different from tanked.

sugarloaf.jpg

On the other side of the mountain there is a town with airport. Carabasset it's called. Fantastic views!

c9.jpg

c3.jpg

We parked and took a walk.

c4.jpg

Lot's of interesting architecture there.

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

hut.jpg

In that huge hangar to the right an amphibian belongs to people in green uniform who ride in black pickup trucks and they very likely have guns. Badges for sure.

c8.jpg

Last edited:
After Carabasset we took a road to southwest.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

Actually we were in hunt for a Pietenpol who departed 30 minutes ago from Carabasset airport before we landed there. With very few charted fields in that part of the country it was not very difficult to find that wooden slow mover.

l5.jpg

l3.jpg

He is probably right there.

l4.jpg

vman, this may be your next favorite getaway. the wx is mostly better than in the city.

did some skiing on that mountain in my younger days. look out below. on the right.

img0780b.jpg

Vlad, let me know when you're headed north again! Presque Isle is having a balloon festival this weekend and my new balloon is complete! First flight was last Sunday...

Vlad, let me know when you're headed north again! Presque Isle is having a balloon festival this weekend and my new balloon is complete! First flight was last Sunday...

Noah Feb for sure for that ice landing party with Cubs. Bring your balloon I reserve a ride or two.

Aviation life in Maine is different. There is a private field no frequency listed no flyers on vaf calendar no info nothing. Except couple dozen airplanes.

DSC_0098.jpg

We circled tried several frequencies no avail. Saw five airplanes took off in sequence and when they left we landed. Guess who was there? The Pietenpol AirCamper!

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

Parked and continued scouting. Found this breakfast for $5 not bad my navi bought :D

DSC_0104.jpg

This is very different place. Strange too. Everybody is engaged the same way. Everybody pulling. This fellow asked us to help. Three of us could not move this airplane tire wow!

DSC_0106.jpg

On the other side they were readying some heavy machinery to pull.

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

Plenty of spectators. Siberia!!!

DSC_0116.jpg

This place is one of the coolest place I've visited. Lindbergh airport 08ME.

Looked at Redneck Cadillacs.

DSC_0113.jpg

Inspected a Breezy style airframe for sale.

DSC_0118.jpg

Weight and balance station. First structure for adding weight second deeper in the woods for reducing :D

DSC_0119.jpg

Time to go.

DSC_0103.jpg

Took off along the same road. The road snakes along a brook and eventually brings you to a lake then to another lake then to the bungalow.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

On big lake we circled a sloop. Sailors saw us and waived.

DSC_0130.jpg

These sailors.

DSC_0139.jpg

Day ended as happily as yesterday. There were plenty of pasta, pepperoni and twisted tea. :D

Monday morning. FOG!!!! Man I have to be at work afternoon! Captain wasn't worried. He knew the fog will dissipate in 30 minutes. He fed me and drove to the airport.

DSC_0141.jpg

Plenty of wildlife on the runway and by the runway. Last time there was a flock of geese today it's thanksgiving turkeys.

DSC_0144-1.jpg

Local scenery is captivating.

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

There is one more grass strip fully manicured. Right by those windmills.

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

Approach is tight but manageable. Departure not so.

DSC_0167.jpg

Time to go to upper echelons, find a smooth meridian and slide down the globe to the City which never sleeps.

DSC_0180.jpg

Back to the heat and smog. What's new in the Corridor today?

Big Navyyy!!! Privet!

DSC_0195.jpg

Where is our space shuttle?

DSC_0197.jpg

Back in the grind at 4 pm. Thanks for looking.

He drank the whiskey in his compass and took a nap? I have to meet this guy! I make a motion that Vlad should have his own forum at OK next year. You are welcome to wild and wonderful Cecil Co. Md. anytime Vlad. Great Pics. Where next?

Cecil Co. Md?

He drank the whiskey in his compass and took a nap? I have to meet this guy! I make a motion that Vlad should have his own forum at OK next year. You are welcome to wild and wonderful Cecil Co. Md. anytime Vlad. Great Pics. Where next?

Thanks Dave. Next trip will be to Chattanooga TN area Sept 6,7,8,9. Planning overnight with my other (older) cousin Don in VA. Quick stop in Triple Tree weather permitting. What interesting you got in Cecil Co? :D Altai hogs?

Cecil used to have pretty cheap gas....haven't been there in awhile, 47N rocks the gas prices!

Cecil used to have pretty cheap gas....haven't been there in awhile, 47N rocks the gas prices!

53VG has the best fuel price and a restaurant on the field :D

Vlad, I absolutely love your reports and the excellent pictures! Please keep 'em coming!

Thanks Bruce I will be in your woods next June/July let's get together for a cup of tea :)

[/QUOTE]

Time to go to upper echelons, find a smooth meridian and slide down the globe to the City which never sleeps.

DSC_0180.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That's a nice co pilot ya found there. Great pics.

DSC_0180.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That's a nice co pilot ya found there. Great pics.[/QUOTE]

Ha!

Are you talking about his in flight snack or the iPad?!?

Vlad, those red dogs are good, huh?

:D. CJ

Back