What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

a glimpse of Mt. Baker

flyinmonque

Well Known Member
081ss.jpg

101dt.jpg

112hq.jpg

119nf.jpg

142hk.jpg

156ja.jpg

Looking out to the San Juan Is. from over Mt. Baker
157vn.jpg

Last edited:
Flying at 2000ft over the central Georgia farmland this morning, it was reassuring to know that I could land safely anywhere for as far as I could see. :)
Great pictures and I would love to do some flying out west. Me and my -9 have only been as far west at Illinois......so far.
Thanks!

David, Im sure you are glad to have your plane with you in the northwest. Lots of cool stuff to see up there. Last time we were there we chartered a deHavilland Beaver and flew around the San Jaun Islands. What a fun day. It made me want to try the sea plane thing. The landings were much smoother than I thought they would be. There are lots of pretty big mountains up there to see too, but you are used to mountains!

Good luck up there and wishing you the best. Let me know when you are back in town.

That's going to be my first flight out of Phase I, Dave. Or, maybe my last flight or two in Phase I... there are lots of good mountains in my test area. :cool: Looking forward to doing some flying with you once you're back next summer. Good pics.
Steve

Last edited:
Go a bit further and land in Victoria, BC.

Easy Canadian customs and friendly folks at the Victoria Flying Club for tiedown.

Was there last week, and also got a nice view of the Seattle mountains on the return....

Nice pics

Last time I flew over the top of Mt.Baker was in 1982.
It was emitting a little bit of sulfur smoke at that time out of the crater and I remember smelling it in the Cessna I was flying out of Vancouver BC.
I have wonderful memories from flying all over that part of the Great North West. I spent a lot time flying out of Hope about 120 miles east of Vancouver
as well as trips to Victoria Island, Kamloops, Spokane, Penticton and other great destinations almost always in sight of Mt.Baker.
Thank you for the pictures.

Beautiful photos. Although I see Mt. Baker every day (that it doesn't rain), I still marvel how it dominates the landscape.

I live near Victoria BC, which is an excellent destination for pilots. The Victoria flying club offers tie downs, as does the Viscount Flying Center (my digs). Viscount is walking distance to the town of Sidney by the Sea which has hotels, shopping, restaurants, Ocean Discovery Center (aquarium) and an excellent seawall and marina. Sidney is also the gateway to the Canadian Gulf Islands and the US San Juan Islands for those of us who own floating toys.

Clear customs in front of the Aeroshell Flight Center.

FMI: Mount Baker

FMI: Sidney

mtbaker.jpg

Back