What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MY first flight

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Sorry no video this time. But this morning I finally took her up. Amazing..what a great feeling it was. I flew for about an hr...made 3 t/o and landings. At cruise 25sq'd I was showing about 162 kts TAS (slow?)..engine temps looked good. Only issue I am having is the MGL V6 radio. It sounds and acts great on the ground, but as soon as I add power all I hear is static...otherwise I would have stayed up longer.

:D:D

IMAG0354.jpg

It sounds and acts great on the ground, but as soon as I add power all I hear is static...otherwise I would have stayed up longer. ]

Congratulations.

check the mic gain and side tone adjustment. I recently switched headsets and now have had mic gain issue. If I squeeze/block the mic tightly, the static goes away.

also don't worry about the speed until you get all the fairings in place.

I have also had recent static issues on both radios on both transmit and receive. What do you mean squeeze block the mic?

John Morgan

I have also had recent static issues on both radios on both transmit and receive. What do you mean squeeze block the mic?

John Morgan

I should have said...squeeze or block the mic.

While flying Wednesday, both us were getting some static in our headsets. So I just pinched the mic between my thumb and first finger to block off any possibility of it picking up any noise. The change was immediate, static gone. The other thing I noticed was when I needed to speak to "Center" I shut the air vent on my side made a big difference. The Mic is picking up all the interior noise.

Good Job!

Wonderful news Ryan. I was going to ask you the other day on your alternator blast tube post when the big day was going to be. I use your pictures quite often for reference. Congratulations!

thanks all. still can't believe I am flying now. I have a total of 5 hrs on the plane 3 of them from me. Made some really really good landings and made some I could do without. Made some progress on the radio issue. I adjusted the mike volume and the static was gone, but I still don't my tx/rx is very strong..

in flight SV pic.

screenshot-20120811-115514-713.jpg

Congratulations man! Its the greatest feeling in the world seeing all of your hard work pay off.

Congratulations, Ryan! If you still want that spray turbine, you can now fly up yourself and get it! LOL

Enjoy Phase I.

MGL V6

Ryan,
Bunch of folks are having similar problems with that V6 radio.
Seems to be related to the type of mic.
I have been talking to the MGL guys, but they have not resolved this issue.
They believe there is a software fix for it. But we will have to see.
The MGL guys loaned me one of there simple passive headsets and that works pretty well and you do not have to turn the mic gain all of the way down.

But with my Lightspeed zulu and 25 XL you have to turn the gain all the way down and it still is not enough as it picks up all of the noise and amplifies it.

What kind of headset are you using? That would be another good datapoint to feed back to Matt @ MGL.
If you would like to hear more about my trials and problems with this radio drop me a note.

p.s. Congrats on your first flight !

Chris Olsen
RV-4 N2ZK @ KAEG

Congratulations Ryan

I keep in the background a lot but have enjoyed your build. I am praying I get mine in the air within another year..
Again, congratulations

Ps I have read you post about the take off and seems like you've gotten great answers. In strong crosswinds you'll probably want to leave the tail down a bit longer than normal just to assure your self that you have full rudder authority

In strong crosswindlandings, talking 60 degrees or more and 15 kts or more in non RV aircraft Citabrias, Beech 18's that had poor rudder authority Usually made wheel landings because the fuselage and wingsi are known to block the tail in a 3 point attitude.
We could cheat in the 18 since it had a crosswind gear that always proved to be fun if you took a taxi way too fast,

Smilin Jack
Just my .02

If your getting noise that stops when the mic is covered you need to adjust the squelch. Its very common to get enough noise to break the squelch especially if you have air blowing on the mic. I often have to adjust my squelch depending on where the air vents are blowing and how far open we have them set.

George

Back