What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A little aero with tail mounted GoPro

RFazio

Well Known Member
I've been trying to get the GoPro working with it mounted on the top of the rudder. I used the mount that comes with the camera and the results were terrible. Very shaky, you couldn't watch it. I made my own mount and finally got it looking pretty good. This is my first video decent enough to post. See what you think.

http://youtu.be/_1johEznTLM

I would like to see the mount you are using on the tail.

I've been asked to mount a tail cam for some race video stuff, but I have no screws or anything else to mount to up there.

I'll post a picture of it.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. It will be the mount itself, no plane. I'll have to go out to the airport to get the tail in it. I won't be going there till next weekend.

Basically what I did was make a mount from foam and fiberglass that stradles the leading edge of the tail. It's streamlined back to a point and I glued the extra gopro back to the front of it. I protected the fin with plastic and filled the inside surface of the mount with silicon rubber and stuck it on the fin. Once the silicon set, the mount sort of sticks on the fin by itself. I use masking tape just to hold it in place for the flight. I get a little vibration under full power at takeoff, but it's not bad. Once throttled back it's fine.

Mounting Idea!

I would like to see the mount you are using on the tail.

I've been asked to mount a tail cam for some race video stuff, but I have no screws or anything else to mount to up there.

Rivnuts for the mount, and tape of your choice for the wire.
Unless its a Wi-fi set up.

Drop flaps mid-field downwind?

I'm an RV-9A builder. So far I've just ridden in a couple of RV's. I'm flying a Diamond DA-20.

It seems that you dropped your flaps a bit before announcing mid-field downwind. That's not what I do in the DA-20. Is it normal for an RV?

That there is the first RV I ever flew in!! Good job Richie. Tell Dwight to go read that book again! Lol. He's was more worried about fishing than flying. :D

_DSC0105.JPG

Last edited:
That was cool

That was cool guys!!!

" ok I gotta settle down now" haha

I gotta go Finnish my RV6 now!!!

I like your video!
Best part about the video is it has live flight audio & not rock music.
Accents are sort of strange though.

Funny Accent

I always find it funny when people say to me, " Are you from New York?" How did you know? I sound funny to myself when I hear it.

Back