What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reminder to wear proper footwear in the shop

walkman

Well Known Member
Even when you are just "popping in for a quick second to take care of something".

Wear proper footwear, not flip flops.

Oh, and don't drop a bench vice on your toe.

ry%3D110

Last edited:
Have a friend that just did the same thing - broke his foot in two places and will at least have a month off from flying.

Dan

Broken toes

My 80 year old mother-in-law dropped a jack on her toe a month or so back while working on her mower. She lied to the ER doc because she didn't want to listen to his grief. She told him she dropped a wrench on her toe.

His response... "That must have been quite a wrench" :D

Last edited:
I've done the same thing twice in the shop over the years. I now wear steel toed work shoes when I'm out there and have a couple "saves" under my belt since doing so. :eek:

I wear my flip-flops in the shop everyday. I realized that that the bottoms have been metalized since so much aluminum is embeded in the soles. If it makes you feel better, sneakers ect wouldn't have saved you only heavy boots.

99% of my building is done in flip-flops and surf shorts (I hate cotton in humidity). Little hot in FL :eek:

I learned in the Marines to wear proper foot protection.

I learned building with flip-flops... when you drop a Tungsten bucking bar toward your foot... move like a Ninja!!!:rolleyes:

I dont recommend flip-flops while building, but 2 years and I'm only down 2 or 3 toes.:eek:

Regards,

Scott

I dont recommend flip-flops while building, but 2 years and I'm only down 2 or 3 toes.:eek:
Scott

If you only plan to build one airplane, this might work out ok. However; if you plan to be a serial builder, I suspect the toe loss to airplane ratio is too high for long term sustainability. :)

If you only plan to build one airplane, this might work out ok. However; if you plan to be a serial builder, I suspect the toe loss to airplane ratio is too high for long term sustainability. :)

Everybody talks about "sweat equity"...this is "limb equity."

:p

I once dropped an x-acto knife while in stocking feet. The knife fell blade first toward my right foot, hit in my toe area and stood upright. I was waiting for the sudden surge of pain as I was sure one of my toes was skewered and pinned to the floor. Lo and behold it had passed in between two toes and was stuck firmly in the wood floor underneath.

Lesson learned - I am not sure if tennis shoes would have stopped that but at least I started wearing shoes when using tools. Steel toed boots would be a lot better...

I wore flip-flops in the summer for a couple of years of building and always worried about dropping tools. But I wanted shoes that were easy to kick off when I went back into the house--I will not track workshop dirt and grime into the house, helps keep the home life happy.

Anyway I found these at a Wal-Mart one day, and still use them as a compromise between safety and convenience.

Last edited:
Brings back bad memories....

A few years ago I was moving a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood with a friend. His end slipped, I lost my grip, and my end fell onto my big toe (no shoes). Since it hit my toe edge first all the force was concentrated on my big toenail. That happened in 2008. My big toenail started looking right about a year ago. I was amazed at how much time it took the nail to grow back correctly.

sorry about that

Hey, Martin. Sorry about that. Hope it heals up well and soon. Were you working on the plane? Giles

I've been resisting the temptation to open this thread, FAIL. That didn't look so bad, bet it hurt like ach eee double toothpicks though.

Hey, Martin. Sorry about that. Hope it heals up well and soon. Were you working on the plane? Giles

Actually Giles I was swapping a bungee cord around a second stage dive regulator and was pulling a knot in the bungee tight. I pulled my little vice off the bench - it just clamps on the edge. I should have used the big one its bolted down.

I've been resisting the temptation to open this thread, FAIL. That didn't look so bad, bet it hurt like ach eee double toothpicks though.

I hopped around turning the air blue for a while that's for sure! :)

It didn't hurt as much as when I ran over that toe with a trailer last year though. Poor toe.

Back