What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Storage (6-9 months)

John Collier

I'm going oversees for a few months and my RV will be flown very little....if at all. What things should I consider doing before leaving town? I'm in Tucson, AZ so low humidity. I could probably have the battery charged / engine started once or twice at a minimum.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

-JC

A few months is not a big deal.....

May not be an option for you, but the very best thing would be for someone to fly it once a week.

Otherwise, fog the engine during shutdown, place a sign on the prop that says "Do Not Turn", and leave it.

Do not start the engine unless the airplane will be flown. Running the engine on the ground is NOT good!
It just creates moisture within the engine. See Lycoming Service Letter L180B.

Last edited:
Fogging the cylinders?

I believe it is when you remove the top spark plug and spray the cylinder with oil. I've read that most use a bug sprayer and thin the oil as required with kerosene. Mel...anyone?

I'm going oversees for a few months and my RV will be flown very littleC

Beercan,

I'm in the same boat and so used the tanis system here:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/tanis1.php

Like Mel said, the best thing to do is have someone fly it once a week. If that is not possible, pickle it. Many, many folks here on VAF have made it clear that simply starting the engine once every so often will do more bad than good. Fly or pickle is my advice.

Check your PM.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the Tanis system for engine pickling that you linked to. Is there a proper way to "un-pickle" the engine when you're ready to fly again, or do you just go out and fly it without doing anything special? I get to go on the occasional military deployment to various garden spots around the world, and I will need to come up with a proper engine storage procedure during extended trips away.

Last edited:
So here's a question for the old-time mechanics out there....I happen to have half a case of fogging oil (spray cans) from my jet skiing days. You fogged the two-strokes every time you cleaned them up, especially after riding in salt water.

How would this stuff work in the Lycomings?

Fogging Oil!

I've used it on several Lycomings with no problems.

The innards of my Jabiru 3300A is covered with it right now.

I believe it is when you remove the top spark plug and spray the cylinder with oil. I've read that most use a bug sprayer and thin the oil as required with kerosene. Mel...anyone?

I have seen this also. Take the bottom plugs out and spray up if you don't have a fine mist sprayer. That will drip down to where the top rings contact the wall. Also include the plug dehydrators and you should get away with this here in Arizona. But it does not save that Lyc. cam for long term storage. I think the cam is just as subject to rust than the Cyl,s. I'm with Mel, fly it for an hour a month...

pickle the engine

If you are going "somewhere" and you think it's going to be more than a month with a possibility of 2-6.... you never know what Uncle Sam is really going to do with you.... (After 3 tours, it was painfully obvious to me anyhow) Go fly the airplane for at least 15 min nice and hard. Cover the airplane (yes even if it's in a hanger), cover all the possible entrances for bugs... ALL THE HOLES..... and pickle the engine. Service the prop with grease if able. If it's fixed pitch, cover it with pledge. Try and wash it too..... I prefer before the flight and touch up after the flight. If you have jacks, feel free to place the jacks under the wings on the jack points and put a pound or two of pressure on the jacks in case the wheels go flat. Don't want to put stress on your wheel pants. Also, update your will. Give a trusted family member all your notes on what to do and when they should do it should you not be back for a while.

Best,
Brian Wallis

Wouldn't want to leave it in Atlanta by any chance? I sold my 8 a couple of months ago and am having a serious case of sellers remorse. I'd fly it TUC ATL and back for you, my dime. I'd also take care of the parking fees here. If interested, shoot me a PM.

( Hey Brian Wallis above, your hangar still available?)

Don

Last edited:
Back