What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

Wrapping up the wing skins. As it starts to look more and more like an airplane, my daughter (who I call Co-pilot Egg) is taking a lot more interest in helping out at the hangar. The improved weather situation is helping as well. Last night she didn't really want to go, but after an hour of riveting her mood had markedly improved. I think working on a build like the RV-12 is refreshingly therapeutic.

Story here: http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2011/02/therapy.html

Happy child and proud dad:

Last edited:
Dave,

Enjoy the moments. She will be off to college before you know it.
Nice blog report. Had me thinking of moments with my daughter.

First Big success!

After two hours of contemplating and readig poor quality of the instructions attached by, i found the way to bundle together all empenage plans with cover :p

On the wheels

nwaiaw.jpg

After two hours of contemplating and readig poor quality of the instructions attached by, i found the way to bundle together all empenage plans with cover :p

Congratulations Piotr,

You've just completed the most difficult part of the entire build. :)

You should get some sort of prize Dave, working on your 12 in the cold! Sure made me appreciate working in my temperature controlled space. Thanks for the record of your build I have referred to it often, but hurry up, I am catching up with you!

Wrapping up the wing skins. As it starts to look more and more like an airplane, my daughter (who I call Co-pilot Egg) is taking a lot more interest in helping out at the hangar. The improved weather situation is helping as well. Last night she didn't really want to go, but after an hour of riveting her mood had markedly improved. I think working on a build like the RV-12 is refreshingly therapeutic.

Story here: http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2011/02/therapy.html

Happy child and proud dad:

I noticed the translated site didn't translate any of the metric units in the "specifications" section for us hard headed pilgrims. I guess I will have to consult specifications elsewhere. :)

Congratulations on the start! I can't wait till I get to start my first RV. It will probably be a few years. This site keeps me addicted however.

A pic of our recently completed RV-12 fresh from the paint shop.

Terry Dunlavy of Edge Aircraft Painting located at Grimes Field in Urbana, Ohio did the paint.

is the close quarter rivet puller tool a purchased tool or a home made deal, and where can I get one if purchased?

There are currently 18 hours on my Hobbs and my RV-12 is painted and the interior kit has been installed. Weather permitting, I should be flying my plane home from Tampa Executive Airport tomorrow morning, where Hawk Aircraft Painting performed the honors. I like to believe the only thing left to do is to fly safely, perform maintenance & continue to learn.

My paint scheme, as you can see, was "inspired" by Rudi Greyling and his South African friends. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery Rudi ... thanks again for coming up with, what I believe to be such a great paint scheme ...

All the pictures and particulars can be found in my build log in my signature at the end of this post.

Here are a couple photos.

VID0000115.jpg

VID000051.jpg

securedownload5.jpg

Sweetie passes inspection!

"Sweetie" has her airworthiness certificate as of 4-10-12! (E-LSA) Here are pics taken during a taxi test. Their are more pieces of the carpeting to be put in but you get the idea of the interior - Abby did a beautiful job! A few panel screws are not in because I was going to adjust the potentiomenters next.

I highly recommend my DAR. He provided excellent advance communication of the whole process, the operating limitations, paperwork, preparation, everything! And the inspection task went very smoothly. He is based in Northern Arkansas - near Eureka Springs - so anywhere near there (such as Missouri, OK, etc.) is not a long way. The DAR is Bill Aldrich, his website is aadar.com. Now, on to flight testing!!! By the way - all options, lights, AP, full interior, full paint, 750.5 pounds empty weight.

IMG_7547.JPG

IMG_7560.JPG

IMG_7564.JPG

Bill H. N412BR. PLANNING TO BE AT OSH!

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS

Great news Bill, have fun with the first flight and flight testing.

Spectacular RV-12 (and with Skyview)!

Tony

awesome

Nice !
congratulations !
Is this the first flying SkyView ELSA RV-12 (not counting the EAB builds and Vans own?)

Very nice! I love the nose, makes it look like a real aircraft! ;) :p

Yeah - I hate the fish mouth on the 12 cowl...it just doesn't look right. I didn't like it on Porsche Boxsters and I don't like it on the 12. It's a small nit for a great airplane but seems like a good idea that didn't work.

Bob

RV12 Status

News from SE Minn- RV12 N12XK ser # 120518 has finished taxi test and is now ready for inspection. Hope all goes as weill as the first 13 months.
Sonny

News from SE Minn- RV12 N12XK ser # 120518 has finished taxi test and is now ready for inspection. Hope all goes as weill as the first 13 months.
Sonny

Good job Sonny! Please post a picture when you get a chance, and also fly it up here so we can see it sometime!

Cheers from your friends at SteinAir!

First Flight for N947WT

I am please to announce that N947WT, RV-12 #120406 received its airworthiness certificate on 6/26/2012 and flew first this morning, a beautiful, hazy, 90 degree at 8:00 am day in St Louis. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the RV-12 forum. Comments here saved untold time and $ during the construction. The first flight of 30 minutes was in all ways uneventful except for being the first flight!

Bill Totty

Inspection

Got my Airworithness Certifiate yesterday 3rd. All went well will
be looking forward to first flight. More late (I HOPE).
Sonny

First Flight

RV-12 N12XK Ser # 120518 made it's first flight yesterday Friday the 6th.
Tom Berge did the honors while I held my breath. all went well.
Sonny

OK - pictures when you can - -

Pictures always appreciated.

John Bender
Over 400 hours
NE Iowa ( not far away )

Motivation

thanks to Dave Gamble for flying photo ship in his RV-6 :

9fxssi.jpg

bf2xio.jpg

All those parts will fly someday!

Back