What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Insurance in Canada - C-PLAN

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
Has anyone else received an email from the EAA offering their new insurance plan in Canada? Its called C-PLAN. http://www.eaainsurance.ca

Not trying to advertise for them... Just wondering if anyone has received an equivalent quote to compare to COPA or Park.

Rob
I emailed in for a quote on thursday and have not yet received a reply. I am pleased to see EAA reach out to it's Canadian members. Hopefully they will offer competitive rates.

I submitted a request today, having received my COPA/Marsh renewal email too. I guess I can compare quotes.

I was having web issues the morning they put their notice out. I phoned them in the morning and they had already received requests for 200 quotes. I suppose it will take awhile to here back from them.

Update:

I called this morning in hopes of finding out the status, and received an emailed quote back this afternoon. Their quote came in $1000 cheaper than my COPA insurance was in 2010.

Answering some questions before they come up:

1. Hull value, liability limits, number of seats, and deductibles, are all the same as my COPA coverage, with one exception i've been able to find: Baggage liability. COPA is $5000 per passenger, $100 deductible. EAA is $5000 total, no indication what the deductible is. I've asked the EAA insurer for a copy of the policy document to make a more complete comparison.

2. When I insured at the beginning of the year with COPA, I had a grand total of 10 hours of RV time, and about 325 hours total time. Renewing this year, i've put 50 hours on the RV in one year, and am now just under 400 hours total time. Maybe the lower rate reflects more experience with the plane?

3. There's no mention in EAA's coverage that i've seen (yet) about recreational aerobatics, nor formation flying, both of which are covered explicitly by COPA's Gold Wings package.

I'll update further if I get more info from the EAA provider.

C-PLAN is a broker, right?

Last time I insured with Park, the actual underwriter, if I have the jargon correct, was Global. ( which was further broken down into Mitsubishi aerospace or something, and a couple other outfit$ who have the buckets of money.

Why would the rate or coverage be different? who knows. I asked about a few potential exclusions, like private or grass strips, and in general, if the policy doesn't name them, then they are not excluded.
I still am uncomfortable when reading the policy if they use 'airport' and 'aerodrome'.....are they being tricky?

Just got my quotes today - hull not in motion is 20% cheaper than Copa Silver Wings. Hull in motion is 50% cheaper than COPA Gold Wings. Something tells me that Marsh Insurance's hegemony is about to come to an end in Canada!

Perry, it's a little more convoluted than that, although I expect this is no different than any other broker. The EAA quote says "Insurer: Various Insurers as per their respective percentages through Global Aerospace Underwriting Mangers (Canada) Limited"

And the email was signed by someone from "Nacora Insurance Brokers Ltd (A Kuehne + Nagel Ltd Company)."

It's possible that the liability, hull, hangar, etc. coverages are all coming from different sub-providers.

My quote for hull not in motion and liability was $300 cheaper then Marsh. PLUS, PLUS, you do not have to use a difficult online procedure to renew your insurance. Someone actually answers the phone and they will take your card information over the phone.

C-plan insurance

I just received a quote back for builder's insurance: $995 per year

Hull value of $70,000 for RV7a with partially installed new engine, prop, and avionics

I don't have final inspection or registration number yet so it is for not in motion only

Jay

I also got a quote from C-Plan at 20% below Marsh and subsequently cancelled my 2011 renewal with the latter. To their credit they are refunding 100% of the premium.

The coverage I have is liability, and comparable except that the Marsh insurance, as far as I could determine, is tied to the pilot only whereas the EAA plan is tied to both the pilot and a specific aircraft (confirmed directly with Nacora). The contact also stated that there are no deductibles for any claims.

I fly only my own (one) aircraft so for me it is a better deal but for someone flying different aircraft it may not be.

Chris

The coverage I have is liability, and comparable except that the Marsh insurance, as far as I could determine, is tied to the pilot only whereas the EAA plan is tied to both the pilot and a specific aircraft (confirmed directly with Nacora). The contact also stated that there are no deductibles for any claims.
The "no deductible" may only apply to liability-only policies. The quote I received said the deductible was "$500 in motion/$500 not in motion".

Also, the policy document they sent me says that coverage applies when flying other people's aircraft, provided you don't own them, and they are of similar configuration.

The "no deductible" may only apply to liability-only policies. The quote I received said the deductible was "$500 in motion/$500 not in motion".

Also, the policy document they sent me says that coverage applies when flying other people's aircraft, provided you don't own them, and they are of similar configuration.

Could be that the policy terms are tailored to individuals?

This is what I received in response to some questions (their answers in italics). Note that this is with respect to liability coverage only:

1. Coverage excludes flying aircraft other than my own, is this correct? Yes

4. There is no deductible listed for anything, therefore I take it that no deductible applies for any claim whatsoever? That is correct no deductible

Chris

Back