What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Revisited: tablet vs portable GPS

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Yes, this topic has been discussed before, but with new hardware and software coming out, maybe it’s time to revisit the topic. So how does a tablet compare with a handheld GPS, when you take *everything* into consideration? Is a tablet good enough that you don’t really need a handheld, or does a handheld GPS have advantages so compelling that you’d want both?

Here’s what I need:
* Multi-leg flight planning, with the capability to update at fuel stops and also in the air. Currently, this is foreflight and a few other apps on the iPhone plus ADS-B weather, primarily radar;
* Backup nav capability. Currently, this is an aera 660. The iPhone is a distant second because it doesn’t have geo-referenced approach plates;
* Web, email, text messages and text editing on the ground. Currently, a laptop.
* On my plane, I’ve got a Garmin G5 for backup flight instruments and gyros

Or to put it another way – with my heavy old laptop, iPhone, and aera, I’ve got adequate functionality now. What’s worth upgrading?

Years ago, I had an iPad that I used in my Cessna 175 which had no moving map capability. With the high wing, the Cessna 175 had a shady cockpit. The iPad is now so old that it won’t run most modern apps. Current ride is an RV-9A that has a sunscreen but still has enough direct sunlight in the cockpit that the iPhone will overheat if left in the sun. I also have an aera 660 and have used that as sole-source nav on long VFR X-C in the RV-8 and as sole source nav in simulated IMC with simulated total electrical failure. And the iPhone provides a number of other useful apps.

Since I've got an all-Garmin cockpit, I'll use that as exemplar, but how would an iPad compare to an aera 760 handheld? And I prefer ForeFlight to others. Currently, my “tablet” is an iPhone. Similar functionality, but…

Here are my (current) criteria, based on admittedly old experience and information. I know that this request will probably be ignored, but please stay on topic and minimize irrelevant war stories:
* Sunlight readability: used to be that the handheld won easily over the iPad
* Overheating if left in direct sunlight: used to be that the handheld won easily. My iPhone overheats if left in the sun, for example. And if you had a total electrical failure and had to use the tablet or handheld that had overheated… A friend says that new iPads are less susceptible to overheating in the sun.
* Inflight functionality: pretty close with no internet access in the air, but a tablet will remember data from other aviation apps accessed on the ground
* Battery life: both adequate for flight purposes, tablet better overall
* Inflight charging to preserve battery: comparable, but don’t know if a tablet with wireless charging will allow plug in charging in the airplane to keep the battery topped off
* Integration with rest of the avionics: don’t know. My guess is that an aera will automagically get updated information from the rest of the avionics but a laptop might require manually transferring things like current position. Handheld might be able to tune comm radios?
* What-if flight planning and destination changes in flight: near as I can tell, this is a win for the tablet. My criteria include weather, gas prices, food availability, sometimes hotel availability (although most apps give hotel proximity, not availability or transportation to/from). Some handhelds have gas prices;
* Aviation related functionality on the ground: tablet will run lots of aviation apps, particularly weather, and can update with cellular information. Handheld may have wifi only, but that comparison can be a wash if you have a hotspot on your cell phone. And I’ve never had a need to enter a flight plan on a tablet / iPhone and then upload to the avionics. Almost all my routings have been Direct.
* Approach plates, geo-referenced (shows the airplane on the plate): some handhelds have this, don’t think my iPhone does
* Display size: don’t really know what the criteria are here. My panel is already full, and I don’t like having to look straight down into my lap to look at a tablet. I do have an autopilot, though.
* Utility outside of the cockpit: tablet wins big, can do most of what a laptop computer does
* Price: tablets win

Comments? Suggestions? Or just throw money at the problem…

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab8 running Ifly GPS. I cant imagine anything else you would need. Excellent sunlight readibility. Excellent battery life. Integrates seamlessly with ADSB. Low IFR and VFR charts that load updates quickly. Geo referenced plates, airport diagrams, ADSB nexrad radar. Metars, TAF's, Versatile flight planning that you can easily adapt on the fly. Back up instruments. Reliable GPS, Plus much more and lots of bells and whistle features I dont use.

You can pick them up on line for $125. I have two just in case one has a problem. size is the same as the old printed approach plates, mounts on a gimbaled holder. indispensable tool to help get you where your going with confident decision making

Last edited:
I'd like to add a Garmin 760 to my stable of GPS devices. But my iPhone provides all of the functionality I need in a backup other than the ability to drive an autopilot.

If you're worried about an electrical failure in IFR, followed by your phone (or tablet) overheating, you might consider that if you're IMC, there probably isn't sunlight bearing directly on the iPad or tablet, so it is unlikely to overheat.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7

I too am running a Samsung tablet, but I have the larger 10" version from Costco. I am running iFly GPS and I really like it. I file IFR everywhere I go, and love having everything I need right on that tablet.

I also built my own Stratux ADSB/IN and suction cup it to the window of whatever rental I have (don't have my -7 built yet). I get traffic and weather right on the tablet.

I love the whole setup...

Gary, how wide is your tablet? Obviously 8" tall. I'm presently using a Nexus 9, ie 9" tall, 6" wide. But it may not last too much longer. ( I googled it, but I'm not finding the width)

Last edited:
I love using my iPad Mini / Foreflight in the cockpit... With that said, I think an Android tablet w/ IFLY GPS can be made to do just about the same thing.. Unless you really like dealing with a laptop, I would say ditch the laptop and switch to using a tablet. Since you already have an iPhone, you might want to go with an iPad.. Both IFLY GPS & Foreflight offers geo-referenced approach plates.. But it really comes down to personal preference and how you want to set up your cockpit..

I have over-heated my iPad Mini once. I don't think it would have over-heated if I didn't have a protective plastic cover on it that completely covers the back. I've never had a problem seeing the iPad screen in direct sunlight, but when the sun is over head, I normally put out the shade on the top of the canopy. On long cross-countries I plug in the charger to the iPad. (Cigarette lighter style w/USB slots). I still lay the iPad on my knee while flying. At some point I'll probably come up with a mount.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Galaxy tab S2 running Avair meets all requirements except communication via text messaging because it is not a phone with a phone number. Any phone can do that plus as far as I know any phone can provide hotspot operation for a tablet when Wi-Fi is not available. I am doing that now actually.

Apple

iPad mini and ForeFlight on a mount. I purchased and reviewed two other products……. ForeFlight won out. Lots of choices, most all reasonable and produce good results….enjoy your search.

I am hoping that the experimental side of avionics does not die off and we continue to see advancements on the VFR side where iPads can send NMEA sentences to autopilots from EFB like FF or FltplanGo. It has been happening in the yachting community for years, just not in aviation to my knowledge. If I convert my 9A to an IFR ship, I will go with a Garmin 175 and redundant EFIS (dual G5 or future AV-30). Back to VFR...

I have been using EFBs for years, I started to go electronic in the cabin in 2013 on an iPad 2. Mainly my experience has been with FltPlanGo, WingX and FF. Recently I started using iFly on a 740b GPS as well as an iPad.

My experience
* The only time I have had an iPad or iPhone overheat is when I have set it on the glare screen with the screen facing up. Dumb A$$ move on my part. Sitting in a ram mount or on my lap, I have yet to experience a thermal shutdown. I do not use any supplemental fan on the back of the devices and I live in FL. I put my hat over it when I go into an airport restaurant and I remove it from the mount if I am going to be away from the plane for more than 2 hours or so.
* I am an early adopter, testing new operating systems and hardware due to my job at work. I have a dedicated flight device that stays N-1 for 2 or 3 weeks before I upgrade to the current version. No beta software on that device. I only have flight, travel and music/streaming software on that iPad.
* I do carry a phone with the same software as a back up and if my wife is with me she has her iPad to watch movies or play games. There is a copy of FF on there. It may not be current but close enough in an emergency situation.

I have found that most EFBs do the basics OK. After that it becomes more about what flavor of ice cream that you like. I mainly use my basic IFR FF subscription for $149 a year. If you count on it in IFR conditions, support and updates matter from a vendor. The causal back room developer may not cut it. You need a company that is actively investing in the product and is staying current with all of the hardware and OS changes just to keep their product running correctly.

iPad and instead of paying every year for iFly or FF I use WingX which is just as complete as FF and has the Free VFR section (you only pay for the IFR if you want) and I also use FltPlan which is also free but more limited.

Finally if you're a CFI or military you get all of WingX free.

Your mileage may vary

Just updated to a 760 from the 796 to get a few of the extra features that go with integration with the GNX 375 which I just added. Very similar in brightness and operation but the 760 has dropped a couple of features from the 796 that I used a lot (checklists and scratchpad).

I used to have the iPad mini but found it difficult to read consistently in the -7 cockpit even with the shades whereas the 796/760 seem to be much easier to read in most cockpit conditions. I do also have iPhone 11 max and iPad 11 pro that you can read in the cockpit but not as easily and the iPad I find better for checking longer range info than scrolling around on the 760 (mainly due to increased size and significantly better resolution).

I ran foreflight and Garmin Pilot side by side for a while and now just use Garmin Pilot due to the similarity of user operation, icons, and the integration of flight planning and updates across the units. All of the apps today seem to provide significant capability.

One of the attractions for me for the Aera series (I started with the 396) has been the ability to drive the autopilot, upload frequencies to the SL30, drive the GPS HSI, and display in cockpit weather before ADSB (not an issue today) and I still use those functions so the tablet is more a backup than a primary device. With the addition of WiFi the 760 becomes a bit more convenient also for flight planning and updates than the 796.

A lot of it is personal preferences and the mission focus, no really clear choice.
YMMV
Figs

The Samsung 8 is 8” x 5.25”. Excellent sunlight readability. Have an iPad but pretty much useless in the cockpit by comparison except for reading on kindle during long flights.

Back