What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Burping Oil Tank

todehnal

Well Known Member
I always burp before each first, and last flight of the day. The end of the day burp has not changed. Following a 10 minute rest after shutdown , typically 4 to 6 compressions will usually result in the burp. However, if I end up with a couple of weeks between flights and I check the dip stick first, I find it to be scarily low. and it will take closer to 30 plus compassions before getting the burp. I always do very slow pulls, with a hesitation at the compression point. So my question is, does this sound normal, and what has your experience been? I look forward to you comments. Thanks, Tom

Legacy RV-12, 600 hrs. TT

Tom,
I too have 620hrs and my experience with the different burping times are similar to yours. But remember why you burp a Rotax with a remote oil canister/dry sump configuration. The burping process allows you to check the oil level and with only 3 liters the level is critical. Fortunately this little engine is very good about not using or leaking oil.

My plane is hangared and I am the only one with a key. I check the oil every 5 hours unless there is oil in the floor or belly of the plane, (never). I check at the end of a flight when the oil is still warm and transfers better. Warm oil at 3/4 stick is the same as cold oil at 1/2 stick. It is much easier to check it warm.

Back