What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish kit questions

Brantel

Well Known Member
I am going to be ordering my finish kit early June and had some questions:

1. Are all the gear legs provided "gun drilled" now?

2. What are the advantages of the premium Grove brakes/wheels? I never had any issues with the standard brakes that came with my RV7 so I am questioning the value of the Grove but I may be missing something.

3. Are the Glareshield and canopy trim kits beneficial? Can't find many examples/details on them.

4. What's the typical lead time from Flightline?

5. Any of the optional interior upholstery products not worth the time/effort/money?

Thanks for those questions!

I have the same ones! I am interested in what other people have found for the finishing kit.
Ron

The following answers are my opinion only...

1. Are all the gear legs provided "gun drilled" now?

A. YES

2. What are the advantages of the premium Grove brakes/wheels? I never had any issues with the standard brakes that came with my RV7 so I am questioning the value of the Grove but I may be missing something.

A. None for personal use / Great for rental or training aircraft.

3. Are the Glareshield and canopy trim kits beneficial? Can't find many examples/details on them.

A. Glareshield is a MUST for night flying and needs to be finished in FLAT black. Canopy trim is decorative only and personal choice.

4. What's the typical lead time from Flightline?

A. Call Abby for accurate lead time.

5. Any of the optional interior upholstery products not worth the time/effort/money?

A. We don't use the baggage area package / you will however need a furniture blanket or similar to block the gap between the baggage floor and the bottom of the tank to prevent small items from sliding forward under the tank. All other options are very much worth the cost.

Last edited:
A. We don't use the baggage area package / you will however need a furniture blanket or similar to block the gap between the baggage floor and the bottom of the tank to prevent small items from sliding forward under the tank. All other options are very much worth the cost.

This is very important point.... If something (screw) gets trapped under the fuel tank, it will abrade and easily wear a hole in the bottom of the thin aluminum tank with disastrous result… I have installed a sheet of cork under the fuel tank to prevent FOD (Foreign Object Debris).

Back