What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to Aviation Electronics

KEG

Patron
Close to starting electronics portions of my 12iS build with no experience. Any suggestions on reference material... ie. crimping, pin identification, schematic reading etc."

Couple more resources.

SteinAir. Just buy what they tell you, buy a few extras and some scrap to practice on. Support a family business, and look up his articles on Kitplanes. https://www.steinair.com/

Here's a good thing to read about wiring from the FAA, and a long winded tutorial I still reference now and then.

Attachments

• FAA Aircraft Electrical Wiring Best Practices.pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 47
  • DC Power Tutorial .pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 36
'nother thing about Stein. Sure, you can find the tools and parts cheaper, maybe. But when I have a head scratcher I like that I can call them up or email them for an answer, knowing that I've supported them. Try calling Amazon for support on that wire crimper or multimeter you bought from China for $5 less.

Last edited:
Aeroelectric, it's free. Follow proper aviation standards as far as wiring practices and connectors. It's done the way it's done for a reason.
May as well look at the FAA Standard Practices too.

The RV12 electrical system is pretty much plug and play. Unless you are designing your own system, you really won’t need a lot of extra information. Maybe a few crimps to make, but otherwise it’s mostly done for you. Do everything by the instructions and you will be good. If you need a bit of help with things like crimping technique, YouTube is your friend.
Cheers DaveH

EAA

EAA put some of the workshops online. I have been doing the “Electrical Systems and Avionics” class. There is a practice kit just like the in-person classes. I am approaching the avionics as well, and it has made me a lot more confident.

www.eaasportaironline.com

Back