What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rentals in Puerto Rico?

wintaki

Hi, a bit off topic but I will be vacationing in Puerto Rico and wonder if anyone knows if it's possible to rent a 172 or something down there for a some sight seeing flying?

Any RVs down there?

Check out Isla Grande Airport. This airport is in San Juan area. There's also an airport in Arecibo Puerto Rico about 1 1/2 hours west of San Juan.

Isla grande if you are in the East side and Aguadilla or Mayaguez if you are on the West side. When are you going down to PR?

Puerto Rico

If you have any control at all over your itenery, get completely out of San Juan and go to the West Coast. Mayaguez, San German, South to Ponce. Great place, Great people, especially on the West side.

Alll this from my experience years ago in the eighties. They didn't even lock their doors there then. Not sure what it's like now. AX-O has more recent experience.

Would love to go back!!!!!!!!!

Airpark needed in PR

We should get an airpark going in PR. I grew up on the western end down there. Easy hops to anywhere in the Caribbean.

Hans

Puerto Rico

Let us know where you are staying, but Isla Grande airport is probably your best bet. They have a number of schools there. Last time I was there they had a number of newer 172s. You probably will have to rent the airplane and a CFI, but it is definitively worth it. Also, as they recommended, try to get out of San Juan to see other parts of the island. Regards.

I work for a company based out of San Juan so I get down there at least once a year. I've probably been there a dozen times or so.

Do as the other guys suggest and tour the entire island. It's beautiful and so are the people.

Last time I was there I rented a 172 and paid a CFI to go along with me. Be prepared to pay about twice what you'll pay here for rentals here though.

Their fleet looked pretty good and they now have a 172 w/ a G-1000. I believe that one was $220/hr or so. Winter time is definitely the best time to visit there. Summer is hot, hot hot.

As for non-flying activities...I would highly recommend you tour El Yunque, the only tropical rainforest in US territory (although much of Alaska is considered a rainforest as well, just not a tropical rainforest).

I would love to fly there in my RV. I know that multiple RVers have flown to the Turks and Caicos. Puerto Rico would not be too far from there and you would never be too far from land (Dominican Republic).

The West side of the Island (Aguadilla, Aguada, Mayaguez and so on) is more laid back. It is also nice to fly to the Dominican Republic (close if you are on the West side) or St. Croix/St. Thomas (close if you are on the East side).

Last edited:
Visiting PR myself

My wife & I will also be vacationing in Puerto Rico - we're planning on going in early April. I too was hoping to rent a plane for a flight around the area.

AX-O - those pictures look great, what part of PR was that?

Back