What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which one??

mototopo

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I'm working on the RH wing on my -7 and, planning ahead, I'm chosing wich autopilot to install to buy the servo mount and install it during initial construction.

I know that I have at least a couple of years before the first take off so the market will surely offer more new products in the future, but I have to think now what to buy. I'll buy the "brain" of the autopilot once ready for building the panel to have the more updated technolgy available at the moment.

I'm planning to build an instrument panel based on GRT efis and Garmin GNS 430 (or what it'll be available at the moment) and I like the Trio Pro Pilot.
For who is more expert.. to which TruTrak model is comparable? Does the Trio interfaces well with GRT or is better to go with a TruTrak?

Thanks

Hi all,
I'm working on the RH wing on my -7 and, planning ahead, I'm chosing wich autopilot to install to buy the servo mount and install it during initial construction.

I know that I have at least a couple of years before the first take off so the market will surely offer more new products in the future, but I have to think now what to buy. I'll buy the "brain" of the autopilot once ready for building the panel to have the more updated technolgy available at the moment.

I'm planning to build an instrument panel based on GRT efis and Garmin GNS 430 (or what it'll be available at the moment) and I like the Trio Pro Pilot.
For who is more expert.. to which TruTrak model is comparable? Does the Trio interfaces well with GRT or is better to go with a TruTrak?

Thanks

Claudio,

Hope your project is going well!

There really isn't any reason for you to worry about an autopilot at this time. The RV-7 wing has plenty of access for servo installation later. As you stated, AP/avionics technology will advance in the next few years and there is no need to get tied to current technology.

Keep on doing your research, but defer your decisions until the latest time possible.

I agree with Sam - adding autopilot provisions is not hard on the modern RV models. Servos can go in a variety of places (I prefer the fuselage because it is easier to do "under-construction" testing), and you will do many harder tasks during your build than adding a servo later on.

If you really have to decide now, I have found that GRT and Tru Trak integrate extremely well - the two companies clear communicate - a lot!

Paul

As someone who just did this....

...I'd at least add the attach brackets while the lower wing skin is off and also install the fuselage bracket....it's so much easier than crawling back there after she's built. As I recall, both the Trio and TruTrak brackets are interchangeable anyway. You might even install the harness at this time.

As Paul said, the TruTrak is a great autopilot!

Regards,

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I like the TruTrak today, while both Trio and the new Dynon autopilots are still having challenges with pitch oscillations. However, those problems will eventually be solved by both companies.

So, like the earlier poster said - put the decision off as long as possible. They get better and cheaper every year.

I flew my ap for the first time last night. Pitch, not a problem holding. What I did notice is it responded slow. Meaning it changes pitch at a 300ft per min thing. In an RV this is slow. Mines holding good and no oscillations. On the roll, I had it set at 8 sensitivity and the thing would wing wobble. I went in and set it to 5, now it holds nice. I find that on the roll it searches a bit when you use NAV, or better put it locks onto the line out for the GOTO and if it's to the left of you, it will bank drastic to hit the line and pass it and than go right drastic. Hunting to get on course, so to speak. So I went in to the servo and hit the torgue setting to 15%, now I can easily override the AP if needed to set it on course. I like to hit GOTO and myself put it on course than hit the NAV and be on course without the guessing game by the AP. I kept the torque to 100 on the elevator cus it takes quit a bit more to hold the system on that end. I think if there was a limit on the type of climb on the pitch for lets say up to 1000 ft per minute than you can dial in and get up there so to speak rather than sometime in the next week.

Now if I had to pick which servo to put in on an AP, it would be the Pitch. Why, I'm finding that finding level flight looking out the window is different. If you put altitude hold on, it helps you get use to what the picture is out the window. Kind of trains you to fly level. My vote, if money is short, get the Pitch servo.

I have the Dynon system

Last edited:
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I like the TruTrak today, while both Trio and the new Dynon autopilots are still having challenges with pitch oscillations. However, those problems will eventually be solved by both companies.

So, like the earlier poster said - put the decision off as long as possible. They get better and cheaper every year.

Oops, gotta address this one. The Trio Avionics pitch autopilot has an excellent field history of well over three years, beginning with the simple EZ-1. I have flown all the Trio autopilots in my RV-6 (currently flying the Pro Pilot with the nifty fuel computer!), and pitch performance is rock solid. There will be the occasional customer problem with any vendor, but these issues are usually due to installation problems.

Hunting to get on course, so to speak. So I went in to the servo and hit the torgue setting to 15%,

I think if there was a limit on the type of climb on the pitch for lets say up to 1000 ft per minute than you can dial in and get up there so to speak rather than sometime in the next week.

Just a note -

You can set the vertical speed for climbs and descents in the SETUP->AP->PITCH SERVO menu.

Also, setting the roll torque too low can make the AP perform badly because the servo will slip and the AP will not have control of the airplane. We recommend setting the torque as high as is necessary to prevent the servo from slipping in flight.

Just a note -

You can set the vertical speed for climbs and descents in the SETUP->AP->PITCH SERVO menu.

Also, setting the roll torque too low can make the AP perform badly because the servo will slip and the AP will not have control of the airplane. We recommend setting the torque as high as is necessary to prevent the servo from slipping in flight.

Don't worry about setting the torque too high, even at 100% you will be able to over ride it.

Sensativity can be set to match your comfort level.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I was concerned that installing the AP in a completend wing would be a difficult task. At this point, I think I'll move on building the plane and I'll not worry about the AP.

Thanks!!!

Back