What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Way to Hold Your Pants

BigD

Well Known Member
So I was staring off into space after breathing too much epoxy and got this idea to re purpose one of the blocks of wood from the trim tabs:

zybz9d.jpg

Should allow adjusting up/down and tilt with one knob. The fabric looking stuff is a strip of grippy shelf liner allowing the tail end to get wedged into the notch and stay (too lazy to custom cut the outline of the pant end). I will have to get on with the fitting to see if it's a good idea or not...

==dave==

That should work just fine, but be sure you jack the plane off the ground--------wheel pant alignment is done with no load on the gear, as in flight.

I'm still working on how to do that without jacks, but wanted to get the photo. Without the engine the tail is on a sawhorse, so I'm thinking I'll hoist the front end with the engine hoist and adjust it and the sawhorse for level. Then I have to take care of the roll axis...

==dave==

I'm still working on how to do that without jacks, but wanted to get the photo. Without the engine the tail is on a sawhorse, so I'm thinking I'll hoist the front end with the engine hoist and adjust it and the sawhorse for level. Then I have to take care of the roll axis...

==dave==

You may know this already, but make sure you hoist by the engine mount, or around the bottom of the engine or something other than what looks like the engine hoist ring on top of the engine - that ring works for putting the engine on, but is apparently not built for hoisting the engine plus part of the fuselage.

Greg

==dave==

That should work just fine.

Well I have built five RVs without jacking them off the ground, but did the pants while the wings were still off. Much less weight then and easy to work on it.

You just jack the AC one side at a time and lower it it down again. You will now notice that the wheels will sit almost at the in the flight attitude. "curled in" if you like to call it that. But it will change again if you roll it backwards and forwards a couple of times - beware of that.

Then fit the pants.

Back