What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A great flight pre-surgery

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
The last few weeks have been absolutely nuts getting ready for spinal fusion surgery, getting a second opinion (took two visits and an MRI), and a third opinion, getting my FAA medical renewed while it was easy to do, dentist, getting instrument current again in the Cessna (so I won't need an IPC later on), etc. Not to mention work and trying to keep my hours up as I'm a contractor, plus singing in two choirs and taking voice lessons.

So with all that going on, and the days getting shorter, time spent in the RV-8 has been much less than I'd like. Some days, I was so stressed I really did not even feel safe driving... But this morning, with just about everything resolved, I went out in the RV-8.

The first landing was the best I've ever done in that airplane -- the tires tip-toed onto the runway, and the tailwheel rode the centerline the entire rollout (granted, it was a big-airport wide centerline stripe).

No surprise, the other four landings weren't as good, but it really felt good to fly and to fly reasonably well. And I've got to think that feeling good about myself right before surgery is a good place to be.

So Monday is the surgery, followed by six weeks of serious rest and recuperation, and then six weeks of TBD. I'm referring to the recovery time as sabbatical, which comes from the same word as sabbath. I'm hoping that it will also be a spiritual time, and that my friends from church will help me in that regard.

Ed,
It'll be a breeze. These docs do this stuff all day long and in their sleep. As a chiro, I see a few patients who eventually end up in surgery. They have all come out doing well. Just do what your docs say, make sure you are religious about doing your physical therapy/rehab, eat healthy, stay hydrated (no alcohol) and keep your nose to the grind. You'll come out on the other side a new (and slightly modified:D) man.
Thoughts and prayers your way.

Things will work out just fine! Let me know if I can do anything for you. I will be going in for another disc replacement before the end of the year.....yeah!

Chances are the fusion will really change you life, and for the better of course! I got an artificial disc several years back, and it made all the difference in the world. That sort of pain is no fun. Enjoy your sabbath. :)

I had Spinal Stnosis they fused my 4-5 Lumbar together and I was up walking in 1 day, still some pain only until the drainage stopped. After three days doing good drove in about 4-5 days. Pain gone, never looked back. I think you will do good. Not as bad as I thought.
Dave

Recovery update

To use an analogy, my recovery is more Cessna 150 than RV-8. Worn out, beat up Cessna 150, that is. As sometimes happens, they couldn't get the drain out of the wound so I go back to the OR tomorrow for that quick bit.

Mental energy is good, but I am so full of narcotics that I just want to zone out. Maybe that's why they won't let me out of bed unassisted. Hey, I just did a beautiful landing a week ago in the -8, do why can't I solo a walker, ferpetesake.

Hey Ed, you probably won't remember this post... due to the amnesia... but I pass my regards for quick recovery.
When healed and out west, stop in to Prescott and we will go do a biennial or lunch... or both. Nick

Best to you

It's extremely important to do exactly what the doctors say during your recovery - no less and no more. I tried the 'do more' route and it extended my recovery time. Best to you, Ed, in the future.

All in good time.

The mastering of the walker will be a piece of cake...just be careful in those high-speed corners!

The mental part can be the worst part and it sounds like you're doing great.

Time will heal Ed. I had back surgery 2 years and for 3 months I wanted to cry out every day, "get me out of this brace". I was 44 at the time and felt like I was 84. My back pain kept me down, minimal activity, gained weight, and worse of all couldn't keep up with my 3 boys... they were growing up without me. I did the surgery and after 3 months of recovery started my journey of living a better life. I feel like I'm 30 now and love it. I run 4 to 5 times per week, play just about any sport with my boys and don't regret my surgery. What I do regret is I waited 7 years before having surgery. Look at your recovery time like the build time... when you're finished recovering you will appreciate the results.

Best of luck and speedy recovery my virtual friend.:)

The mastering of the walker will be a piece of cake...just be careful in those high-speed corners!

That all depends on whether the little wheels on the walker are on the front or the back. Good thing Ed's an RV-8 (and not an 8A) pilot... :D

Ed,
Best wishes on your recovery. Hope you get airborne again soon!

Back