What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now that I'm in the Club...

istrumit

Well Known Member
Hello all- now that I am officially in the club with N430WP (RV-10), I can't help but ask the first rookie questions.

N430WP is 260 HP, 9.5:1 cylinders with plenum. One Mag. One Lightspeed. Otherwise, a standard build.

I've searched the board and have not really found structured answers for these questions...although its possible to piece together from various posts.

So, here you go.

What are the speed tweaks you've done and how did they pan out ? Aileron rigging ? Cowlings ? Etc.

What do you use for power settings for best cruise speed ? At what altitude ?

What do you use for climb power settings ?

What do you use for max speed, period....altitude and power settings ?

I have not yet had a chance to test at various settings as my first flight was just bringing her home and I didn't feel like testing along the way....

Thanks all in advance.

Scott

Congratulations on the plane! Don't worry about some of the answers in here.

My transition training guy was great. He showed me how to "use" the plane. I could read all the V speeds in the manual but the airframe and engine and CSP were all new to me so I am glad to have had someone that could explain things to me. All my power settings in different fazes of flight. Flap settings in the pattern. All the required configurations for short field and soft field and emergencies etc. He gave me real-world experience within the limits of the plane. Great help indeed I have an RV-7 so I can't answer your questions but someone will. Enjoy the freedom!!!:)

Hello all- now that I am officially in the club with N430WP (RV-10), I can't help but ask the first rookie questions.

N430WP is 260 HP, 9.5:1 cylinders with plenum. One Mag. One Lightspeed. Otherwise, a standard build.
Mine is identical in all these respects.
What are the speed tweaks you've done and how did they pan out ? Aileron rigging ? Cowlings ? Etc.
Sorry have not done much tweaking, been too busy flying. If rigged to the manual there is not much rigging to be done. I have heard of some adding a shim under the front or back of the HS to get the elevator neutral in level flight. Mine is really close depending on the loading one way or the other so I did not make any changes. Front cylinder air dams are adjusted for even cooling. I have been meaning to try plugging the opening in front of the nose wheel on the cowl to see if that improved cooling but have not gotten there yet.

2 "Tweaks" I have done and would recommend if they have not yet been done is getting prop balanced and balancing your fuel injectors. Think it cost me $100 total for 3 new uncertified injectors to balance it.
What do you use for power settings for best cruise speed ? At what altitude ?
I find the sweet spot between efficiency and speed to be 2300 rpm WOT at 11,500. LOP. gain 1.5-2 knots/1000 feet up to about 12,000 feet.
Faster RPM gets you faster, but is marginal above 23-2400 rpm, and does consume more fuel.
What do you use for climb power settings ?
Generally 2400 rpm, throttle to 75% power, and 120 knots indicated. 120 knots to keep the engine cool.

What do you use for max speed, period....altitude and power settings ?
Never go for max speed, as a few knots usually don't matter to me, at least not for +10 to 15 gph. I almost always run LOP so don't have numbers for that off the top of my head.

Generally found during flight testing that for a fixed % power, lower RPM and higher manifold was slightly more efficient.
I have not yet had a chance to test at various settings as my first flight was just bringing her home and I didn't feel like testing along the way....

Thanks all in advance.

Scott[/QUOTE]

Generally 2400 rpm, throttle to 75% power, and 120 knots indicated. 120 knots to keep the engine cool.

why would you climb at a cruise RPM and reduced manifold pressure? WOT + 2600-2700rpm for a climb, adjust IAS as needed for cooling (CHT/OIL)

reducing the throttle (choking the engine) and rolling down the RPM while raising the nose is inefficient

Back