What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures of AOA line install

JHartline

Well Known Member
Folks,

I have the Safe Air kit for the pitot/AOA lines. The extra rib holes for the AOA line in the left wing don't go all the way to the root - the ADAHRS bundle takes up some of the holes. For those who used this kit, what did you do? I was looking at adding holes adjacent to the pitot line holes in the ribs as long as there are no structural issues.

Thanks, James

Folks,

I have the Safe Air kit for the pitot/AOA lines. The extra rib holes for the AOA line in the left wing don't go all the way to the root - the ADAHRS bundle takes up some of the holes. For those who used this kit, what did you do? I was looking at adding holes adjacent to the pitot line holes in the ribs as long as there are no structural issues.

Thanks, James

I bought wings built from another builder who had the standard pitot tube installed. I removed it and used the SafeAir kit as a retrofit. Used the original run and then enlarged the tooling hole to the run the 2 line. I used another builders idea for pitot/static run under the arm. Yes my runs are 2 bays passed the standard location. I'm undecided where to locate it, so made provision for moving it out 1 or 2 bays if I wanted. Note that the previous builder also made wire conduit runs at 3 locations. I filled 2 of them with Vans conduit and left the third unused.

2012-01-15_15-17-19_773.jpg

2012-01-22_14-22-52_115.jpg

2012-01-28_12-41-58_718.jpg

Last edited:
AOA

Thanks gents. I like the idea of running both lines adjacent so any future changes or maintenance will not require too much gymnastics. Also looks better IMO. I'm putting the mast in the factory location.

Re: standard airspeed indicator. I'm not at the avionics stage yet but I'm thinking about having an independent GPS source which would provide speed, alt, attitude versus backup gauges. Either a handheld or something like the Dynon D2. Seems like it would be an easier more maintainable solution. I have plenty of time to figure that one out. So many problems; so many solutions; so little money...

James,
Here is my take at it. i also ran the wiring for the heated pitot as well. I am just about to close up the left wing. I chose to omit the one that Vans provides and am using a Gretz mast in the recommended location.

The tank is off temporarily so I can file it for a better fit against the outboard leading edge.

image_zpseuoazprb.jpeg

Last edited:
Heated pitot

Jeff - What did you use for the heater wiring? Did you already decide which system to use? I would like to run wires for that as well but I don't know which system I'll eventually go with. Thanks

Garmin, but not sure how much that matters

I ran wires as suggested for the Garmin heated regulated pitot however my assumption is that all of them require power, and I could use the same wires.

I ran two 12 AWG wires and a 24 AWG signal wire from the mast all the way to the root. That brings the ground back to the panel which Garmin suggested and provides that signal wire for the heat regulation as well.

SafeAir1

While we are on the subject.... Does anyone know where to get the SafeAir1 kits now that Avery has closed? I have tried the contact form on the SafeAir1 web site and it seems to be broken at the moment. Haven't been able to find a phone number there either. Any suggestions anyone?

Lee

I spoke with Bob Avery yesterday and ordered what I believe is his last kit in stock. He told me that Mike from Cleveland tools is purchasing his inventory.

Ken

SafeAir1

Excellent! Thank you both. I had actually tried Aircraft Spruce but if you search for SafeAir1 on their site it doesn't come up. Thanks for the links. Time to get that plumbing done in the Empannage so I can close it up!

While we are on the subject.... Does anyone know where to get the SafeAir1 kits now that Avery has closed? I have tried the contact form on the SafeAir1 web site and it seems to be broken at the moment. Haven't been able to find a phone number there either. Any suggestions anyone?

We will have more information on it early next week as we are waiting to get approval of an announcement. We will have kits available for sale next week and moving into the future.

Back