What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Displaying VIRB on g3x touch

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Ok, I understand that I can link the two wirelessly to get virb control on the mfd touch screen but no visual.
If I hardware from the virb to the mfd video input (presumably a Bnc/Rica connector), will I be able to see what the virb is filming?

Yes - I haven't had a chance to try it, but as I understand it, that's how it works. Wired video - wireless control.

That's the ONLY reason I haven't purchased, and won't purchase a Garmin camera, until they update it so you can wirelessly view what the camera is recording, WHILE it's recording. It's the #1 complaint on the Garmin forums about their camera. :(

Virb

This is definitely true with the first gen virb cameras. I think I was told that the new virb xe has the capability that you are taking about, or maybe it was just for viewing while recording video on a tablet with the virb app. I asked a Garmin Rep about this at Oshkosh earlier this year. I would tell you for sure, but I haven't ponied up for the new virb xe yet

Ok, I understand that I can link the two wirelessly to get virb control on the mfd touch screen but no visual.
If I hardware from the virb to the mfd video input (presumably a Bnc/Rica connector), will I be able to see what the virb is filming?

Hello Tom,

Yes, if you connect the composite video signal output from any model Virb camera to the video input on the back of your GDU 4XX display, you will be able to see the camera image on the display at all times whether you are recording or not.

Additionally, the wireless control built into the display will control the Virb camera and allow you to start/stop recording and take pictures.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=111188

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=924191&postcount=6

Thanks,
Steve

That's the ONLY reason I haven't purchased, and won't purchase a Garmin camera, until they update it so you can wirelessly view what the camera is recording, WHILE it's recording. It's the #1 complaint on the Garmin forums about their camera. :(

The battery won't last long enough to film anything that matters if you do that

Back