What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nova Drill Question

Brantel

Well Known Member
For those that have experience with the 4000 rpm 1/4? Nova drills....

I know the keyless chuck is faster but is it any less balanced or likely to cause vibrations and or weird holes vs the regular keyed chuck?

I am soon to be drilling longerons and stuff and my old Harbor Frieght drill is not cutting the mustard this go round!

Drill

RV10, that's a lot of holes!
I have a Sioux with manual chuck. On the longeron, I it worked great for the reasons you mention.

A good drill like a sioux is $$$ but you will never regret it, especially with all the holes you have to drill. My keyless chuck is perfect and so convenient. I would never go back. Also, don't scrimp on cheap drill bits. Get good cobalt ones and buy lots.

I love my ¼" NOVA drill. I have the standard chuck and don't miss having a keyless one. I do like the fact that the NOVA is so compact. The keyless chuck may interfere in the tightest of spaces.

This little key holder makes a standard chuck a breeze. It's just a small file handle with a slot to accept the key and JB welded in.
key1.jpg

PS-I can't image the Sioux being worth the extra cost...maybe in an industrial application where it's being used all day every day.
As far as I'm concerned, my NOVA was a great value. I'm almost done with my -7 sheet metal and it still runs like new.
The NOVA 90° drill is also a great drill :)

Last edited:
At the recommendation of the folks at Synergy Air, I purchased a "Texas Palm Drill, 1/4" with standard chuck from The Yard Store. I've used this for a couple of years now to nearly complete my RV-10, and it has been flawless. They also sell one with a keyless chuck if that is your preference. It's about half the price of the Sioux, which they also sell.

You can see their full variety of pneumatic drills at https://www.yardstore.com/pneumatic-tools-and-acces/drills/pneumatic-pistol-grip/new

At the recommendation of the folks at Synergy Air, I purchased a "Texas Palm Drill, 1/4" with standard chuck from The Yard Store. I've used this for a couple of years now to nearly complete my RV-10, and it has been flawless. They also sell one with a keyless chuck if that is your preference. It's about half the price of the Sioux, which they also sell.

You can see their full variety of pneumatic drills at https://www.yardstore.com/pneumatic-tools-and-acces/drills/pneumatic-pistol-grip/new

When I was at Synergy they recommended the NOVA...both drills must be good :D

And Pan American Tool has an excellent warranty. My angle drill was about 20 years old and the gear stripped and they repaired it at no cost. I could not believe it. The repair man Phil, I do believe his name was said the parts and labor were so little that he did not bother billing me as the PR would be worth more so here I am sharing my experience with Pan American.

Nova drill

I have the nova 4K rpm drill with the keyless chuck. Part #60-310B. I love it and have zero complaints. Been using it 2 years now and it has been fantastic. I highly recommend them.

I do not have any experience with Sioux so can't give an opinion between the two.

Also using Nova

I have a Nova 4000rpm and 3200 rpm standard chuck and really enjoy both of them. Great products.

I have one of their ACAT drills, a short angle drill, and have found it to decent enough, with a quite nice trigger. But it seems to use more air than my other tools.

For the price, they're definitely worth a try.

Dave

I have ordered and received the 4000 rpm version of the 1/4” Nova drill motor. I am amazed at how small and compact the tool is. Feels like a high quality tool.

After a few test holes... WOW! I can’t believe I built an entire RV-7 with that HF drill motor! What in the world was I thinking?

The Nova is super quiet, super smooth, and super fast! The price is amazing as well for such a quality tool!

I am going to enjoy drilling holes again!

Back