What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

replacing the vacuum gauges with.....

N605RV

Hello everyone. I want to get rid of my vacuum system and associated gauges and to replace them, a friend has a uAvionix all-in-one AV30 that does the job nicely for $2,500 new but was wondering if anyone else has found a better alternative (I'm willing to go a bit higher if for example, the display is bigger etc. Would the Garmin G3 do the same?

Mike in Boulder

The choices are endless. I have a simple Dynon d10 as the center piece of my simple panel as a replacement for the standard old school six pack. Has been completely reliable for 12 years of flying, fully electric with battery backup.

The options go up from there. I suggest that this kind of very simple and reliable instrument, coupled with a really good tablet based GPS nav/info program (foreflight, ifly gps or similar) provides almost the same capabilities as a high end fully integrated glass panel at a fraction of the price with a very low learning curve.

Pick something and enter the world of enhanced situational awareness and reliability.

For that kind of money you can get an entry level GRT Sport EFIS plus an engine monitor (4 cylinder egt/cht, oil temp/pressure, volts, amps, automatic alarms, etc.). Similar from other manufacturers.

Garmin G5

Another alternative to the AV-30 is the Garmin G5. It will do the job of all the six pack gauges for around $1500 including a backup battery and it fits in a standard 3.125 hole.

AV-30

I put the AV-30 in my RV-6, with an OAT and GPS inputs.
It's an impressive instrument with a lot of features. It was less than $2500

my friend Marcel replaced the vacuum stuff on his -4 with 2 Garmin G5, with battery back-up. Works perfect, looks good, and you can just reuse the existing holes on your panel.

My ship also sports a dual G5 and a GNX375, fits all my requirements, and my wallet :)

living in a non-vacuum

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided on a G5 six pack since I already have a Garmin GDL-50 ADS-B using a Samsung tablet for a display on a RAM mount. As for a new/improved EMS, I chose a used Dynon. Your input was invaluable. Stop by Boulder airport if ever in need of a tied down and endless tools during your x-country trips.
Cheers
Mike
N605RV

You will be very happy.
I have similar simple panel: G5, Dynon EMS and a dock mounted 796
I couldn’t be happier.

replaced my vacuum gear with a G5 and dock mounted 760. updated my com to the GTR 200. It all works together, & I like it a lot.

panel

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided on a G5 six pack since I already have a Garmin GDL-50 ADS-B using a Samsung tablet for a display on a RAM mount. As for a new/improved EMS, I chose a used Dynon. Your input was invaluable. Stop by Boulder airport if ever in need of a tied down and endless tools during your x-country trips.
Cheers
Mike
N605RV

So did you get a new panel, or does it still look kinda like this:
rv4panel.jpg
I read your post on wanting a stick sleeve for the rear pit, and I couldn't remember not doing one. Then I looked up my pics, and realized that with all the different levels of structure around that hole, I decided against, was going to get around to it...didn't happen, obviously!

Jeff Hall/builder N605RV

Attachments

• 2002-11-04 20.07.06.jpg
    2002-11-04 20.07.06.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 125
Same Situation

I'm finishing an acquired project, and tonight just removed the vacuum system and vacuum driven gyros. Lost a few pounds there. Having to make the same decision and right now leaning to the Uavionix AV-30, but maybe G5?

the AV-30 sure looks like a nice piece of equipment, though it'd better fit an old-timer or antique such as a C-190 :)

I'm a fan of the G5s, having installed a few on different ships, and flown a few hundred hours behind. Easy to install, light, redundant if fitting the back-up battery, and affordable. Fit 2 of them, one as a ADI, the other as a HSI, with batteries, and no more need for those standby gages of times past ;)

G5 and AV-30?

I installed one AV-30 along with their tailbeaconX which is ADSB out plus a transponder and controlled via the AV-30. In the future I'll be installing a G5 because I like the airspeed and VSI tape much better on the G5. I have a panel mounted Aera 510 that integrates really well with the AV-30 so itll be the HSI. AV-30 comes standard with a backup battery.

Back