What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter problem

Machsandy

We have a BC315-100-2 starter on our IO540.

Yesterday morning when I tried to start I could hear the motor running but it didn't engage. On the 3rd attempt it did engage and subsequently did 2 further starts with no issues.

Obviously I don't want to risk getting stuck somewhere so it would be nice to remedy the issue even if it requires fitting a new starter.

Please may I ask the expertise of the group if there is anything we can do? Would filing any burrs on the starter ring help? Would lubing the pinion help? If lubing helps then what should we use?

We are starting our condition inspection today (we call it an annual here in the UK) so any pointers would be very much appreciated.

We have a BC315-100-2 starter on our IO540.

Yesterday morning when I tried to start I could hear the motor running but it didn't engage. On the 3rd attempt it did engage and subsequently did 2 further starts with no issues.

Obviously I don't want to risk getting stuck somewhere so it would be nice to remedy the issue even if it requires fitting a new starter.

Please may I ask the expertise of the group if there is anything we can do? Would filing any burrs on the starter ring help? Would lubing the pinion help? If lubing helps then what should we use?

We are starting our condition inspection today (we call it an annual here in the UK) so any pointers would be very much appreciated.
That starter has a solenoid to activate a lever that pushes the pinion to engage. If the starter spins but does not engage then this is sticking or failed in some other manner. B&C can provide a part number for the solenoid. It could be the pinion assembly is allowing it to thrust into gear engagement but not turning with the motor, that would ba a failed sprag within the "bendix" and would need replacement.

The you can remove the heavy cable that connects to the motor and isolate actuation of the solenoid to test it. If it does not smartly engage then it is weak or dragging. Material can collect in the bore and be cleaned, but best to replace the solenoid if this is the cause.

The solenoid may be a Standard brand - #SS754, but you should contact B&C for the correct number.

Good luck with diagnosis, replacements should be easy.

Thanks Bill that is very helpful.

I have contacted B&C for tech support to see what they suggest.

Regards

Sandy

Back