What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider behind panel access ...

Having spent many "memorable" hours wedged into an airplane with my head on the rudder pedals, the idea of topside access is very appealing. I have heard mention of a fix for this in sliders by using large inspection plates in the glare shield.

This sounds easy, but what about access to open these up? Does the front part of the canopy need to be removed? How hard is that?

Looking at RV-6 ...

I think you are referring to removable panels just aft of the firewall but forward of the windshield. After many builders "rolled their own" Vans finally came out with a kit that includes the cutout template, doubler, panel and hardware. One each side of the centerline.

I haven't heard of any access panels just above the instrument panel and on the cabin side of the windshield.

OTOH, if you leave some service loops and disconnect plugs you can probably remove the entire panel. Failing that, if you're going with glass panels, the PFD and MFD are easily removable giving reasonable access through the panel.

Uh, so, with inspection panels forward of the windshield, what kind of access to instruments and avionics do you have?

A lot better than without them, I do not know about the -6 but on the -7 there is an interim bulkhead structure that gets in the way of everything. I have friends I fly with who rolled their own when they built and access for upgrades/mods is way better. I put in a sectioned panel that I thought would be removable but it ended up not working very well.

After doing a couple of panel mods in recent years for ADSB etc. and being upside down in the wheel well with my bifocals taped to my head upside down to see the wiring and trying to add zip ties with one hand I am about to order the panel kit from Vans and install them before I do my next upgrade.
I will say that as noted above if the panel has that latest glass (G3X etc.) there is a big access hole when the display is removed, my D100/D120 have mounting boxes that restricts access.
Figs

forward access panels

Not much. You would get access to the back of long radio trays as an example. Easier access to brakes, easier access for one man riveting of the front cowl panel and maybe some remote electrical components if mounted up there.

Most easy access behind instruments & switches is done for most by removable EFIS screens or other removable instrumentation.

Some fabricate instrument panels with removable sections (left, right, center) to facilitate easier maintenance or panel upgrades.

The panels are easily installed on a completed airplane only requiring cutting the holes from outside. Nothing to remove first. If you use a cutting wheel or grinder be prepared to control the debris or for cleanup. I did it on my -6. It will give you good access to the aft side of the firewall and anything between that and the bulkhead about 12" aft. What's there depends on how things were installed. I needed to remove the manifold I had bolted to the firewall (because it would never need to come off) and move a penetration. Just those were worth the effort vs panel diving. The kit is dirt cheap. It doesn't specify the -6 but it works fine. You just don't have pre-punched rivets to locate it for you.

It's sounding more like a tip-up may be in my future...

If you want a slider, build a slider.

Avionics access with a slider is all about planning. In my case there are only two boxes between the sub panel and firewall. The GEA 24 and the IBBBS. Both of those are mounted on hinged trays for access. The LRUs between the IP and sub panel are accessed by removing the EFIS screens.

As far as the access plate kits that VANs sells, they may be helpful or they may not. I experimented with where the openings would be and what would be visible and more importantly reachable. For me, they wouldn't have helped and the possibility of water incursion put the last nail in the coffin.

Even with a tipper you will spend plenty of time with head under the panel. Get a very thick cushion to make it more comfortable. From my perspective planning to minimise the need to access that area is the best scheme, plus making the panel in sections. Any panel on the forward fuselage will be difficult to seal from the rain, which removes on of the significant benefits of a slider!

Pete

Chris, I reworked my riveted panel 3x now... spent countless hours on my back with the manual flap lever on one side and the removed right stick trunnion on the other, both happily working their way into my lumbar and thoracic vertebrates, a real treat ;)
Nevertheless, I would never install those access panels as sold by Vans, or easily manufactured by yourself... money, time spent to install, paint touch-up, probably not watertight, ugly screws even when flush, weight and aerodynamics.

As suggested by others, removing some of the glass gives direct access to some of the wiring. Also having them looms manufactured on a bench and then installed will save some of the pain...

Plan ahead

Not there yet but I made the choice to finish the top skin and windshield before avionics so I'm paying the price. No access panels for me either. I've spent a lot of time under auto panels so I built a deck to lay on. It is the same level as the spar so nothing digs into my back. So far it works.
The panel is removeable. Two 12" panels span from the control panel to subpanel. They are held by hinge pins so they can swing down fore or aft or come out by pulling pins. I plan the Advanced Control Panel and prefab harnesses. Hope it all works out.

I'm on panel 2.0 and took into consideration lessons learned with version 1. Since it's now glass I can get to a whole lot of stuff by just taking out my AFS EFIS. If you have two IFISSess more the better. And in a pinch I can just take out all the instrument screws and pull the panel. The only hassle for me now is the radios / harnesses, I should have had longer service loops and some kind of quick release subpanel where the trays all go through / are supported by that forward bulkhead.

And no amount of access panels is likely to make it easier to get to all the wires running across underneath, never mind things installed down there. (although I seem to remember someone having a way to get up through the belly but that seems extreme).

Don't make the mistake of installing something in your panel such that it makes it impractical to remove e.g. a push-pull control without being on a removable sub-panel. I made that mistake on panel 1.0, lesson learned!

I have two 10" Dynon Screens and can have them removed in 10 min max! I didn't realize this advantage when I planned my panel but it has been a great asset! An allen head bit in a cordless screwdriver and your in business!

.....SNIP....................................................
As far as the access plate kits that VANs sells, they may be helpful or they may not. I experimented with where the openings would be and what would be visible and more importantly reachable. For me, they wouldn't have helped and the possibility of water incursion put the last nail in the coffin.

I have to come back here say to my March 2021 self... Yea, No...
My avionics harness is in and I'm installing the forward access hatches...they will make everything easier :rolleyes:

On my RV6 that I am building, there is nothing forward of the sub panel, except the wire bundles that pass through that area from forward of the firewall, so putting boot cowl openings in that area that could possibly leak serves no purpose. I have two large glass panel openings in my IP that gives me excellent access to the hardware in that 7 inch space, which is plenty of room for everything that I need.
If you wanted to put access openings in your glareshield (aft of the windshield), I’m sure that could be done. However, not sure about how much accessibility that would create because of the steeply sloped windshield limiting access. If you don’t have any large rectangular glass avionics that can be easily removed, maybe designing an IP in two or three removable sections would be a possibility. Just don’t like the idea of putting a hole in the top skin of my airplane over expensive avionics.

Antenna Farm

Just to muddy the waters a bit…I fabricated the panel(s) out of fiberglass and mounted several GPS and XM antenna on a rack secured to the bottom of the panel. Works great and declutters the glare shield and/or engine compartment.

Just to muddy the waters a bit…I fabricated the panel(s) out of fiberglass and mounted several GPS and XM antenna on a rack secured to the bottom of the panel. Works great and declutters the glare shield and/or engine compartment.

Like this :)

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 91
Hey Brian- I've been thinking about doing the same. With them recessed like that do you get any signal masking say, in a steep bank or whatever?

Back