What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual PMAGs, G3X Configurations

FlyingFox

Anyone with dual PMAGs, using Garmin G3X, that has configured the RPM settings in the configuration section for accurate RPM, please share the configuration, or email me your configuration,

Thanks,
[email protected]

I know it is an older post but I am having a hard time with this. It is the last item to get working properly on my new build.

Single G3X is installed with a GEA-24 engine monitor module.
I am running dual P-mags on a Lycoming IO-320
The Ignition switch is a specific unit purchased from Stein for this ignition. It provides for 3 positions. Off, On and Test. I've used them often.
The engine runs great and the P-Mags test and operate as they should.

I have configured the G3X to RPM 1 for the Electronic Ignition option with 2 pulses per rev. The P-mags are new and latest software.
I am going from pin 6 on the P-mag to pin 8 on the GEA-24.

P-MAG wiring and set up was followed as was the G3X Install Manual.

I can not get a tach reading on the G3X to save my life. Today, I even swapped the pin 6 output between the P-mags and still nothing. I've done all the basic things like making sure pin 8 in the right spot and that all wiring if free of resistance and shorts, opens etc.

This has always been easy in the past and is my 5th or 6th G3X install. Could I have a bad GEA-24??

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears. This is literally the last set up item I have before first flight.

Just a thought, but the tach wire to the p-mag is a shielded wire with a very small insulated inner wire. You need to remove the outer insulation, the shielding, and also the insulation on the tiny inner wire before connecting to the p-mag plug. It will probably work, then. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

MED- Good point on that one and it may have gotten me in the past as well ;-)

This one is connected to the wire, not the shielding. I've also seen these work fine without using a shielded wire at all fwiw.

Thank you!

Well, It is with much consumed crow that I have fixed my RPM issue.

I traditionally build all my own harnesses. Stein did a beautiful job on this one and I failed to notice the shielded wire they so elegantly put in the harness.

I did it. I made a rookie mistake and installed the jumper to the shield. MED was right.

Took all of 3 minutes to fix it and I now have an operating tach.

Back