What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thunderbird RV

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I've had the idea that I'd like to paint my RV-7 silver and then add some trim colors, but ever since I've returned from Oshkosh I've been pretty jazzed about the Thunderbirds. I remember seeing an RV painted in the Thunderbirds livery before but couldn't find a pic on Google. Here's my take on an RV-7 with the Thunderbirds scheme...

(just about ready to open the fuselage crate!)

RV institution Red Marron had a pretty similar paint job on his RV-6. I don't know who owns that one now.

Edit:

I went looking for an image and found one that I happened to take. I think that is Red's airplane in the middle.

DSC03584.jpg

Last edited:
Gayle Williams Thunderbird

b85007e20d1f6ff810653ab92af09243.jpg

I am the latest caretaker to this aircraft. Built by Dana Axlerod, flown extensively by Class of 58-59 Thunderbird Gayle Williams, handed over to Shane Margraves who now lets me watch over her.

Photo excellence provided by Pat DuLaney.
Lead flown by Dula, Weeble learning #2, Tailwind #3 and Rambo #4.

I think Gayle would be pleased that his Tbird, bird is happily carrying on.

Great but try to avoid splitting the emblem, it likely would not turn out as well as the drawing.

I agree. I think if I do this paint scheme the red on the tail would be a little thinner and the Tbird logo moved over so that it's just on the stab and not split with the rudder.

Lots of really cool photos and paint jobs in the posts above!!

There is...

An RV7 in Lakeland South that has the Thunderbird paint scheme it belongs to builder Dan Duran. He flies it over to SNF (about a 4NM trip):p I'll see if I have any pictures, & post if I can.

I've had the idea that I'd like to paint my RV-7 silver and then add some trim colors, but ever since I've returned from Oshkosh I've been pretty jazzed about the Thunderbirds. I remember seeing an RV painted in the Thunderbirds livery before but couldn't find a pic on Google. Here's my take on an RV-7 with the Thunderbirds scheme...

(just about ready to open the fuselage crate!)

That's what I did, but for our Snowbirds team up here in the great white north...

AtGatineau_zps2256d641.jpg

b85007e20d1f6ff810653ab92af09243.jpg

I am the latest caretaker to this aircraft. Built by Dana Axlerod, flown extensively by Class of 58-59 Thunderbird Gayle Williams, handed over to Shane Margraves who now lets me watch over her.

Photo excellence provided by Pat DuLaney.
Lead flown by Dula, Weeble learning #2, Tailwind #3 and Rambo #4.

I think Gayle would be pleased that his Tbird, bird is happily carrying on.

thanks for posting a pic of Gayle Williams plane. it pasted thru stuart fl back in 1999 when i bought mine. i had heard a lot about Gayle and his plane but never got a chance to see it. looks nice.

I've been thinking more and more about the retro Thunderbird scheme from the F-100 and I think I like it for the RV.

I didn't like my original F-100 scheme but all I did was take the original drawing and make the fuselage silver. I wanted to redo the whole thing and see how it would look with a nice F-100 scheme.

Yep, this is it! This is my RV. Glad I came up with the scheme now since I'm almost ready to paint! I figure it's only going to be about 18 more years until I need to paint LOL.

Last edited:
Back