View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Hi guys,

I have been thinking of a right up on my finishing technique. I will try to keep this short but may fail at that.

In the following I will try to explain what I have learned in the last 25 years of painting. I do not want you to think that I am an expert for I will never make that claim. I am just going to explain what I will be doing and why.

Started painting my cars at 14. I would buy them fix, drive and then sell. I have had over 50 cars so far. Other than sanding and spraying technique nothing notable here. In the winter of 2007 I started a powder coating company. I started doing stunt bikes. They are mostly made of aluminum. To keep it short I will just say that for my first two bikes the powder coating did not stick. I had to find out why.

What I have learned

Oil will find its way onto your plane from every ware. I.e. your drill and rivet gun if you oil them or just from the oil in your hand. Do not use solvents ( lacquer thinners ). They do remove the oils but will leave there own contaminants.

My procedure for aluminum

I ware surgical gloves to protect the plane from the oil in my hands (the non aloe type).

1) wash- I use Dawn dish washing soap (no aloe or fragrance). Rinse let dry.

2) scuff surface usually with 3M scuff pad or 360 grit sand paper.

3) wash again just like step 1. This time it does not need to dry I proceed to step 4

4) condition with Bulk Chemicals Bulk Kleen 690. This is a non corrosive acid wash. Rinse and rise again. No need to dry

5) Pretreatment of surface with Bulk Chemicals E-Clips 2101 RTU. This is an adhesion promoter. This is sprayed on and left to dry.

6) apply a two part self etching primer (from a quality company).

7) apply an epoxy primer. There is a window that this can be recoated in. after that window it becomes to hard to scuff for adhesion. This window is outlined by the primer manufacturer.

8) apply paint. This could be a conversation in its self.

My procedures for fiberglass

The wash is different I use a 50/50 mix of Windex and rubbing alcohol to spray and wipe.
Fiberglass likes moisture so I will not wash with water. The 50/50 mix will clean and degrease. Then an epoxy primer followed by a high build primer. But the primers will go on after the west system fillers and sanding. I will be making all of my own fiberglass with exception of wheel pants. Hopefully I will not need fillers.

Please note that all of my primers are over reduced. I do not want high build and the added weight.

I will be doing this to my wings but I will not be painting right away. I will put on a light coat of2K primer over the epoxy primer. Then when I am ready to paint I will sand most of this off and then apply paint.

Also note that for the washing stage the soaps and chemicals like it better warm. The Bulk Kleen 690 works best @ 140 degrees. This is hard to do so I will turn the shop up to 80-85 and use hot water for every thing. I also force dry every thing.

Sorry if this got a little long. But this could be even longer.

Let me know if this helps or you would like to talk more in depth.