What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's @ Union Parish Airport (F87), Louisiana

My father and I were out at the hangar on Sunday after just receiving the inspection sign-off on our RV-4. For such a relatively small and unknown airstrip, F87 has become an amazing hotbed of RV activity. Below are few shots of some of our local RV's enjoying the cool, clear Northern Louisiana afternoon this past Sunday. We have a total of seven RV's currently based at the field, two of which are still under construction. RV-8 "High Cotton" based out of Mississippi stopped in for a little formation practice with one of our local pilots and his RV-6A. Lots of RV building and flying activity at F87 if you're ever down our way!

Here's my father's newly minted RV-4 fresh out of inspection and enjoying its first week of flight:

DSC05025-.jpg

DSC04979-.jpg

A well earned RV grin after eight years of toil. My father did an excellent job painting the plane himself. This is the same paint scheme worn by his uncle Wendell's F4U-1D Corsair while flying with VMF-221 during the Battle of Okinawa in WWII. Wendell was shot down in air combat, then picked up and returned to the USS Bunker Hill just as the ship was truck by two Kamikazies. He survived and went on to fly F4U's with VMF-312 and VMF-323 in Korea.

DSC04993-.jpg

Mr. Bray out of Natchez, Mississippi piloting RV-8 "High Cotton" joined local pilot Mark Burns in his RV-6A for some afternoon formation work. Both aircraft are stunning in person.

DSC04925---.jpg

DSC04946---.jpg

DSC04926---.jpg

Another local, Zack Spivey, bringing his RV-6A in for some low passes. Zack is working to collect log book entries for every day of the year. An interesting way to stay active and keep yourself happy in the process!

DSC05031---.jpg

DSC05036---.jpg

Last edited:
NICE! Tell your dad that he has one sweet looking airplane! I'll be dropping in when I get my 8 flying for sure.

bird

Very cool. My Mother is from Farmerville, I grew up in Monroe and learned to fly at Ruston while going to Tech. In fact, we used to own some lakefront property just across the lake from where F87 has been built. Wish I still owned it! Good to see RV activity in the homeland! :)

"Bunker",
Nice photos! You have talent. Or did your wife take these?;)

I was surprised to see this nice write-up about Farmerville.

Have fun with the phase 1 flight testing!!

Mark

Beautiful RV-4, love the markings, and a great story about their history. Congratulations on the sign off. I'd love to come visit F87 some day. You never know...

~J~

Awesome! Bunker...Shreveport? Lived there in the mid 80's. Flying RV-4 based in Lafayette. F87 and RV's look cool! We have a few RV's here. Flexable for a flight to meet you guy's at F87. Let us know. [email protected]. N22755

Back