What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ottawa, Seattle, Las Vegas, Sedona...

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
So summer has gone by so quickly and we have some vacation time to use up. I need to book my vacation time so weeks two and three of September looks promising. "How about a flying vacation out west" Shirley says. How can I argue with that :)

No plans, just fly west from Ottawa and hit Vancouver or Seattle. We decided to fly through the northern states and then figure out what to do when we arrive in Seattle. No bikes this time, however we did bring some oxygen along.

Travelling from Canada involves a few extra procedures like filing eApis, file flight plan, make appointment with US customs, and hope weather holds up.

We departed Carp (Ottawa) early morning Sept. 9th, and returned on the 19th.

DAY 1:
CYRP KANJ: customs, Sanderson Sault Ste. Marie MI
KANJ KXVG: fuel stop, Longville MN
KXVG KGDV: fuel stop, Glendive MT
KGDV KGTF: 2 time zones later we arrive at Great Falls MT for our first night.

Totalcircuit11Days.jpg

Trip overview

Day1.jpg

First Day

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

Some clouds along the way, so we were flying at 4500 ft. We were headed for our first stop KANJ Sanderson Field, Sault Ste.Marie. We were to meet US customs officials.

IMG_1715.jpg

Some morning fog. That burned off quickly. Interesting side-story ... so the customs official asks us where, how long etc. We reply Seattle, 2 weeks. He says "show me some proof you are going for 2 weeks.... clothes, underwear etc. So, I show some clean underwear and everyone is happy.

Last edited:
Day 1 cont'd

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

We're doing pretty good speed at altitude, however the winds were in the wrong direction, and that continued pretty much until arriving in Seattle.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Montana scenery, pretty rough down there.

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

Glendive MT fuel stop

IMG_1791.jpg

Arrived at Great Falls around 6:30 local. A little late for continuing through the mountains, so we decide to make it a stop-over.

IMG_1800.jpg

View from our hotel room. Bottom of photo shows someone else travelling cross country in a different mode of transportation.

Day 2

Day 2

KGDV KCOE: Grand Falls MT to Coeur d'Alene ID
KCOE KUAO: visit Vans in Aurora
KUAO KMMV: McMinnville OR.

Day2.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Left KGTF for Coeur d'Alene via Mullans pass.

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

Arrive at Coeur d'Alene for re-fuel. Line boy greets us, and after a couple of minutes chatting, a jet comes up from behind. Line boy comments about whether he will stop or not. Finally stops just a few feet from our plane. I figured I would be courteous and pull our plane away before starting the engine.

Called Vans to see if they have a factory tour available. 2 PM she says. Sounds good... and off we go.

IMG_1854.jpg

Fires are causing havoc with visibility, so we decide to descend to a lower altitude.

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

Day 2 cont'd 1

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

Landing in Aurora.

IMG_1906.jpg

Vans Hangar.

IMG_1910.jpg

A proud moment for the pilot.

IMG_1914.jpg

Factory tour for a prospective client. Darryl giving the tour (thanks Darryl)

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Day 2 cont'd 2

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Wings on the shelves.

IMG_1922.jpg

Spars being fabricated for the RV-12

IMG_1928.jpg

Paul Dye repairing his RV8 in Vans hangar. What a great place to break-down. Parts and tools at your disposal. We were not so lucky later in the trip.

IMG_1929.jpg

Meeting two of VAF icons Paul and Louise at Vans... priceless. They give us some tips for hotel in McMinnville as well as the Evergreen museum. Great advice (see photos on Day 3).

Arrived in McMinnville hotel. Flew cross country, visited Vans and settled in... all in 2 days. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
Day 3

Day 3

KMMV KPAE: visit to Evergreen Museum, then on to Paine field.

IMG_1952.jpg

Evergreen Museum

IMG_1963.jpg

Under the wing of the Spruce Goose

IMG_1966.jpg

Tailcone of Spruce Goose.

IMG_2059.jpg

Photo from outside. It's just too big to photograph the Spruce Goose without a wide angle lens.

IMG_1996.jpg

First edition of Vans RV-6 donated to the museum by Van himself.

IMG_1995.jpg

This is right next to the RV-6 display. Note the two aircraft photos are from local Ottawa airplane.... Cool!

IMG_2013.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 cont'd

Evergreen also has an amazing Space Museum.

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

SR71 ... we later get to see yet another at the Boeing museum. How may SR-71 does Oregon need?

IMG_2110.jpg

Arrived at Paine Field after our visit at the Evergreen museum. They had a rental car waiting for us right at the ramp... great service. I asked where to park the plane, and they did not have rope tie down spots, so we were told the grass spot would be fine. When asking for the cost, the manager said it would be free since our plane pretties up the ramp. Thanks Castle and Cooke.

Day 4 and 5

Day 4 and 5

Spent travelling to Dynon for factory tour, and hopefully resolve technical problem with HS34.

IMG_2102.jpg

Steve from technical support, Shirley, and Eric who flies simulators all day so he can test out all the features of the Dynons ... someone's gotta do it.

We swapped out a D100 since it was not speaking to the HS34 (which was previously swapped out). Upon re-installation at the airport (1 hour drive), no go. Made appointment with tech support again to have the unit tested on the bench the next day. When we tested it on the bench with their own wiring harness, it also failed. Short story, my configuration file was corrupted. I later entered all the info manually back at the airport, and the HS34 finally speaks to the D100. Yeah! Our perseverence paid off. Dynon tech support guys were very supportive throughout. Great company and guys (Mike and Steve). Seems that Dynon will have a fix for this configuration corruption soon. This should save Dynon a lot of tech support work since it affects DSAB communication and autopilot altitude hold (was sometimes off by 40 feet).

IMG_2106.jpg

Dream Lifter.

We visited the Boeing factory... sorry, no photography allowed. Got to see the 787 production floor. Wow!

Last edited:
Day 6

Day 6
KPAE KBFI to Boeing Field (actuall left on evening of Day 5), then visit of Musuem of Flight in the morning

Day5toKBFI.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Concorde.

IMG_2123.jpg

Met a graduate from my alma mater (McGill Univ). He is now retired and volunteers at the museum. Graduated 20 years earlier than I did and then has worked for Boeing ever since. Small world.

IMG_2124.jpg

Concorde cockpit.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

Random Museum pieces
IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

Another SR71 a the Museum of Flight

IMG_2145.jpg

Maybe if we win the $50M lottery, Shirley. It does look good on you.

Last edited:
Day 6 cont'd

Day 6 (cont'd) to Modesto

After visiting the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, we decided to head south.

KBFI KSIY Boeing Field OR, to Siskiyou County Airport CA for fuel.
KSIY KMOD Stop in Modesto.

Day6toModesto.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

Arriving in Modesto. The lineboy Josh took good care of us.

Last edited:
Day 7 to Vegas

Day 7 to Vegas

KMOD KHND: to Henderson NV

Why not go to Las Vegas? Maybe we can gamble and win money for our return fuel?

On our way to Henderson, ATC calls out traffic of a Bonnanza at our 2 O'clock, 5 miles. "Bonanza xxx, RV traffic at your 7 O'clock 5 miles". Shortly after ..." Bonnanza xxx, RV is ahead of you now, traffic no factor". GRIN!

Henderson provides free limo service to the Strip. Our taxi ride back to the airport cost us almost $50 though. Overnight parking was waived with fuel purchase. Yeah, expensive fuel, but still cheaper by Canadian standards.

We booked our hotel on-line at the airport and got some discount. Problem, it was a Saturday night, so hotel prices were at a premium. If you stop there, try a Monday or Tuesday for lower rates.

Day7toLV.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

Our crew car ... just kidding!

IMG_2248.jpg

Canoe art.

IMG_2257.jpg

Bellagio water jets.

Last edited:
Day 8 to 10 (Sedona)

Day 8 to 10

Leaving Las Vegas :)

KHND P23: Leaving Las Vegas, electrical problem divert to P23
P23 KCMR: Leave P23, electrical problem divert to KCMR
KCMR KSEZ: NORDO (with a handheld) to KSEZ

IMG_2265.jpg

We meet with friends at Henderson airport in the morning and then head off to return home.

IMG_2270.jpg

Next to Grand Canyon.

IMG_2274.jpg

Sucking oxygen. Notice our new Dynon hats.

IMG_2280.jpg

Panel starts flaking out and have barely power to run the radio (breaker had popped earlier, but had not noticed). Being on fight following, relay our plight to controllers before we lose communications. They give us a number to call once we are safely on the ground. Check out alternator and all seems fine. Able to charge battery again, and no problem detected. We continue on with flight.

We leave P23 and about 15 minutes later the ALT breaker starts popping again. This time we divert to KCMR. ATC tells us to call them back at the same number they gave us earlier (we're quite chummy with ATC by now).

Not much available at KCMR, and VAF guys respond to our help request by suggesting KSEZ as a better airport. We have mags, iPad with Foreflight and a handlheld radio.

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Sedona, just beautiful. Nice place to be "stranded"

Day8toSedona.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

More troubleshooting. GM of Planepower gives us a call and offers troubleshooting tips. We are off to a Walmart and buy a voltmeter. Normally I always have a voltmeter with me .... but not this time. Troubleshooting alternator reveals broken brush and bad rear bearing. Planepower offers to build another one and overnight it to us for reasonable price. Two night stop in Sedona... glad we stopped there.

IMG_2314.jpg

Our rental car serves as a battery charger.

IMG_2331.jpg

Broken brush wire.

Local Paul Boyce offers torque wrench, lock wire etc. Thanks Paul.

Last edited:
Day 10 and 11

Day 10 and 11

KSEZ KLVS: Leave mid-day KSEZ, off to another Las Vegas though in NM, for a fuel stop
KLVS KEQA: to Eldorado, just outside Wichita KS for an overnight.

Day10toWichita.jpg

Then Day 11
KEQA KRCR: to Fulton County, IN, for a fuel stop, eAPIS, and Canada Customs notice.
KRCR CYRP: back home

Day11Home.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

Refuel at KLVS

IMG_2457.jpg

We arrive in Eldorado, just outside Wichita. Late at night, however there is a crew car waiting for us, an old police car. Cool.

IMG_2456.jpg

We tried to abide by the instructions on the dash. This car must have been Uncle Buck's car... we were very grateful though as it got us into town for a good night's sleep.

IMG_2481.jpg

Next stop was Fulton County, IN. What a nice airport. Actually all airports in the US are very nice. We fueled, filed eApis and Canada Customs phone calls. Flew over Detroit and direct to CYRP Carp (Ottawa).

Trip Summary

Epilogue

By my count, we crossed about 18 states, and landed in 13. 11 day journey, first two days with some clouds, all other "severe clear".

Totalcircuit11Days.jpg

Some cost data (11 days, 5,700 nm):

100LL: $1,800
Lodging: $1,000
Ground Transportation: $350
Food: $300 (we don't eat much...)

What next?

Alfio,

Nice report. I recognize many of the sights in Oregon, that's where I picked up "Tweety". I did my first landing in her at McMinnville. Great area....just too much rain for me.

Wow - great trip report Alfio! It was wonderful to run into you two at Van's, and we followed your alternator adventures on the net. We shoudl all be so lucky to get "stranded" in such a nice place. And hey - we also made a fuel stop at Las vegas (NM) on our trip - small world!

Paul

GREAT trip report, Alfio! I live in Oregon, not too far from Vans. It was nice to see some familiar places in your report, as well as new ones that we look forward to seeing ourselves. My wife and I hope to meet you two some day! :)

RE: Trip Report

Envy - one of those seven deadly sins!

I look forward to something like this one day...:)

More to post

Thanks for the comments everyone. I had some issues in posting those photos at first and missed a few. Will post a couple more photos and comments later in this same thread.

Vlad is on his way west now. Don't know his itinerary but so far it looks like he is taking the same northern route as we did. I hear Las Vegas (the one in NV) may be in the cards.

By the way, Oregonians should visit the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville if they have not done so already (it is an amazing place). The museum entry fee is $20, however they found out we were EAA members and then told us to go to the VIP counter. They started putting admission bracelets on us, and when I queried as to the price (we figured they were giving us a discount), they said that EAA was a contributing member organization, and their members get a free admission. REALLY! WOW! (Did you copy that Vlad!!!!)

Last edited:
Fabulous trip report ...

...thanx MUCH for sharing! As a newly flying 9A driver, this is incredible inspiration for the spouse and I. :D

The museum entry fee is $20, however they found out we were EAA members and then told us to go to the VIP counter. They started putting admission bracelets on us, and when I queried as to the price (we figured they were giving us a discount), they said that EAA was a contributing member organizations, and their members get a free admission. REALLY! WOW! (Did you copy that Vlad!!!!)

I wonder if Paul and I can now claim our $40 entrance fee as a donation on our tax returns. :( Oh well, it was actually worth (at least most of) the price of admission.

Great meeting you both and a wonderful trip report. Thanks!

Motivated!

Thanks for sharing your adventures. Deb and I are off to the workshop - RIGHT NOW! - to work on the RV. Wanna do the next trip in formation?

Rob

Alfio, Looks like you and Shirl had a great time!!!

I had almost as much fun reading about it!

Keep in touch!

Hope to see you both again soon!

:) CJ and Michele

Wow!

It's trips like that, that inspired me to take on this building challenge! Thanks for the entertainment and inspiration Alfio! What a way to spend 2 weeks! Awesome!

Alfio - thanks for sharing your trip with us. As you know, after our northern trip this summer my wife has only just begun to discover how a light aircraft can take us places. I'll be sending her the link to your trip write-up so she can get a better picture of how horizons can be expanded in an aircraft that covers ground so well.

Now I'm headed down to the basement for some more work on the instrument panel. Spousal approval for an EFIS upgrade has been obtained - woohoo! ;-)

AWESOME!!!

Awesome trip write-up Alfio.....really enjoy vicarious trips I get to go on here on the VAF....thanks for taking the time for the post!

YOL BOLSON!!!!

Lycosaurus trip report

Hello Alfio and Shirley,

Nice to see those new avionics installed in the cockpit.

Super trip report, Chantale and I will be looking forward to getting the RV8 following in your tracks, once it's completed that is...

Thanks for the great pics and great ideas of places to visit! To echo Rob Erdos, I'll be willing to fly form on the other wing...

Normand
Gatineau
RV8 engine/finishing

Just wondering

Hi Alfio and Shirley,

Enjoyed your trip report. Been to many of the same places over the years. I think its time to do something like that in Canada and Alaska. I'm still waiting for us to book a few air shows in Canada.

Just curious, why do you have a sticker on your instrument panel that says
"Aerobatic Manoeuvres Prohibited"? Was this placed by the Canadian Anti-Fun Patrol or is this your personal restriction.

Hi Alfio and Shirley,

Enjoyed your trip report. Been to many of the same places over the years. I think its time to do something like that in Canada and Alaska. I'm still waiting for us to book a few air shows in Canada.

"Aerobatic Manoeuvres Prohibited"? Was this placed by the Canadian Anti-Fun Patrol or is this your personal restriction.

Canadian RVs are susceptible to thermal sub-zero metal morphological transformatory crystallization deformation. Therefore, you are required to perform additional flight tests where the pilot has to perform aerobatics in the 'unapproved' airplane, and, if it stays together, the 'Anti-Fun police' let you remove that sticker. Go figure.

(PS..Sorry for the thread Hijack Alfio...I couldn't resist)

You made that up, right?
Yup :) .... (But the last part is true)

And Alfio.... I'm making plans to follow in your flight-steps... Karin and I have been to Sedona by car...and, since Karin travels to ABQ quite often, I see no reason why she should fly commercial all the time :)

Thanks for the Trip report!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Makes the photo upload issues and laptop lockups I had earlier all worthwhile. During our build I would get quite motivated to go back to the shop after reading some of the trip reports. Glad to pay it forward.

I wonder if Paul and I can now claim our $40 entrance fee as a donation on our tax returns. :( Oh well, it was actually worth (at least most of) the price of admission.

Great meeting you both and a wonderful trip report. Thanks!

Paul and Louise, it was nice meeting you as well, however brief our encounter. The museum found out about the affiliation only about a week earlier.
Hi Alfio and Shirley,

Chris's answer pretty much sums it up. We must first demonstrate aerobatic manoeuvres. In our case, the RV9 is not applicable for aerobatics so the point is moot.

Yup :) .... (But the last part is true)

And Alfio.... I'm making plans to follow in your flight-steps... Karin and I have been to Sedona by car...and, since Karin travels to ABQ quite often, I see no reason why she should fly commercial all the time :)

Thanks for the Trip report!!!!!

I was having some problems with the uploads, and lost the Sedona photos. Some other photos did not make it through as well (Shirley managed to snap over 800 photos, but we will try not to bore you to death....) I will try re-posting the failed uploads a little later this week in this same thread.

The people we meet

Some of the highlights of traveling is meeting interesting people along the way.

As we were preparing for departure from McMinnville airport, a gentlemen walks towards us and starts up a conversation with me regarding our RV9. Said he is the owner of Phlogiston Products, Wayne Stonecipher, manufacturer of our wing spars. Cool! Nice fella.

IMG_2074_zps6c4e62fb.jpg

In Sedona, RV-7 owner Paul Boyce drops by on his scooter and asks us if we could use help. Paul lent us some tools and lockwire to complete the alternator installation. [Earlier, we had also received a couple of phone calls from VAF members giving us some valuable advice (one of which was to fly on towards Sedona). Don't recall those guys' names...... but THANKS.]

IMG_2393_zps67bf866f.jpg

Finally I have good wifi and looked through all pictures Alfio. What a great trip you had! Mine would probably last that long but my food and lodging bill will be much less. Not so sure about fuel :D

Back