What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-702 Flange Error & Edge Distance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkie

Well Known Member
Today, I was cutting the excess off the flange on HS-702. When I started the cut with the snips, I ended up fracturing the flange 1/8" perpendicular to the intended cut line. The blue line perpendicular to the flange cut is the small fracture. See photo:

IMG_1057.jpg

So my fix was to "round the flange a lil more than required so the fracture would not end up being a crack later on in life. See photo:

IMG_1058.jpg

Looking from the inside (regardless if I cut the flange to much), it doesn't look like there is enough edge distance for the rivet when the skin attaches at the intersection of HS-702 and the main rib, HS-405. The picture below shows the inside view of what the two pieces mated together would like. Am I sunk here? Did I cut to much off? Has this happened to others? Do I need a new front spar? Thanks in advance for all answers.

IMG_1060.jpg

crack repair

I'd check with Van's...
Edge distance on that hole is poor at best on the 405 rib in first place.

HS 702

FWIW in making your decision, a new HS-702 is only $20 from Vans. I know because I goofed mine up in the same spot as you are working.

It's about the same. Van's called this morning and said that it was fine and to build on. He said that they've been seeing this one a lot lately and agree that the edge distance without the additional cut on the flange is marginal at best.

I tend to think that since the skin, the spar, and the rib are all coming together at this spot, that it would be more critical than Van's says it is, but what do I know.

Which hole was that again?

im about to do this step myself.... but I am a little confused at what hole you guys are talking about the edge distance on.

Thanks,

It's where the flange of HS-702 joins up with HS-405 rib. Regardless if the flange is cut greater than it should, the edge distance at that spot is marginal. Straight from the "horse's" mouth.

It's where the flange of HS-702 joins up with HS-405 rib. Regardless if the flange is cut greater than it should, the edge distance at that spot is marginal. Straight from the "horse's" mouth.

Oh my bad I though we were talking about the 404 for some reason, but I will keep this in mind when I work on the 405 thanks!

Tom
In the future might I suggest to use the snips to cut within 1/8 or 1/4 to your drawn line and then use a table mount disk sander to bring the part to the blue line and then your scotchbrite wheel to clean up the edges. The disk sander will be one of your most utilized tools in the shop. You can pick up a Sears or Delta brand for around 100 bucks or a little less. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip Arnie. I'm slowly learning as I go and make dumb mistakes. I do have a combo belt/disc sander on one of my benches. Guess which tool I used to get the other side down to it's proper size!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back